Florence Fuller - for AZ member 'PushOut'

BillieBilliards

Registered
I promised to post a photo of Florence Fuller for AZ member, Pushout.

In case you are wondering, Florence is an exemplar individual worthy of respect and admiration. For years she held both the male and female New York State Championships in her room, the Pocket Billiard Lounge in Binghamton, NY. Besides being a financial supporter of the WPBA in its early years, she served on the newly formed organization's Board of Directors. A great lady, she supported both men and women players. My best to you, Florence, for all you did for us. :thumbup:

Billie

Attachments

• Florence Fuller.jpg
    Florence Fuller.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 607

Factor

Registered
Thanks for the pic Billie. The first pool room I ever went in was the Pocket Billiard lounge back in the late 70's/early 80's. I remember Florence working the counter and beating up on the regulars in the Tuesday night 8-Ball tournament. I also had the opportunity to see and chat with Florence about 5-6 years ago. I was watching a friend of mine play in a regional qualifier for The APA national singles event and her opponent in the finals was Florence. I spoke with Florence after the match and told her about starting to play in her room. She was still playing pretty well at the time but my friend did just beat her in the finals.

I very nice lady and supporter of our game.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, Billie! An old friend from TPBL who now lives in San Diego and is also an old family friend were discussing through email the men's New York State 9 Ball Championships, in particular, the 1987 tournament won by Dave Daya. There was a one page write up in the July 1987 issue of Pool and Billiard about the tournament with a couple of pictures. Billie, did you write that article;)
I posted the finishers in a thread in the Straight Pool section of the forum. I guess some people were surprised that Daya won the tournament with the very strong field that year. Those of us who knew him weren't, though.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the pic Billie. The first pool room I ever went in was the Pocket Billiard lounge back in the late 70's/early 80's. I remember Florence working the counter and beating up on the regulars in the Tuesday night 8-Ball tournament. I also had the opportunity to see and chat with Florence about 5-6 years ago. I was watching a friend of mine play in a regional qualifier for The APA national singles event and her opponent in the finals was Florence. I spoke with Florence after the match and told her about starting to play in her room. She was still playing pretty well at the time but my friend did just beat her in the finals.

I guess I might not have seen you if you played in the night time tournaments. I worked second shift at Vail-Ballou most of the time I lived there. I played there almost every day, though. She might have beat up on the regular night time tournament players but not the regular serious players, who tended more to be around in the day time.
Who owned the place the last time you were there? Since we moved to SC in '97 she had sold it to a guy named Steve who was a good friend of our son, Steve sold it to the current owner, named Chip, who changed the name to Ball Busters Billiards. Pool is dieing a slow, painful death in that area now, I'm afraid. I only saw about six of the old regulars in there and not all of them at one time. Triangle Billiards on Washington Avenue in Endicott isn't any better. There were sixteen guys there the first day we were at Triangle and all but two were retired or on disability. No young players either place.
Sad.

Factor

Registered
I haven't been there in years. I moved to the Albany area in 96 and recently relocated to Southern Utah. I did stop in one afternoon about 2-3years ago when I was driving from Albany to Maryland. The entire "upper" section was closed and there were only about 8-10 tables down in the lower section. Unfortunately things were not in very good condition. I hit some balls for about an hour and watched a couple of guys playing one pocket on the table next to me, but there wasn't much else going on. Sad to see things have gotten so bad, but the whole area is looking pretty depressed.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't been there in years. I moved to the Albany area in 96 and recently relocated to Southern Utah. I did stop in one afternoon about 2-3years ago when I was driving from Albany to Maryland. The entire "upper" section was closed and there were only about 8-10 tables down in the lower section. Unfortunately things were not in very good condition. I hit some balls for about an hour and watched a couple of guys playing one pocket on the table next to me, but there wasn't much else going on. Sad to see things have gotten so bad, but the whole area is looking pretty depressed.

Most of the tables are still there, however in both the upper and lower parts of the room, tables have been removed or moved around for dart areas. Dart tournaments are held regularly and Chip says it's the only thing that brings in any money now. Almost all the regulars have either quit or migrated to Triangle. I was told there were usually more of the Binghamton crowd at Triangle than were there the first day I was there.
Bucky Souvanthong is still in the area, usually at Guys and Dolls, but he has alienated most of the pool players/backers because of bad behavior and attitude:( Seth Delvellano probably plays as good as Bucky but chooses not compete all that much. The whole are is, indeed, depressed.

BillieBilliards

Registered
I did not write that article, Pushout

Thanks for trying to give me credit for the article about Florence's tournament; but no, it wasn't me. I have written articles for Florence and supplied her with photos but it was usually for women's events. I lived too far away to stop in to see the men compete. Rest assured, I would have stopped by if it was closer. Florence had some great tournaments! :grin:
Billie

Thanks, Billie! An old friend from TPBL who now lives in San Diego and is also an old family friend were discussing through email the men's New York State 9 Ball Championships, in particular, the 1987 tournament won by Dave Daya. There was a one page write up in the July 1987 issue of Pool and Billiard about the tournament with a couple of pictures. Billie, did you write that article;)
I posted the finishers in a thread in the Straight Pool section of the forum. I guess some people were surprised that Daya won the tournament with the very strong field that year. Those of us who knew him weren't, though.

BillieBilliards

Registered
Florence Rocks!

Thanks for supporting Florence, Factor
She is still hitting them around, but now it's on a Gold Crown she has set up in her home. The last time I saw her, I did a little camcorder video of her for all her fans. As soon as I get some time, I plan on putting the video on YouTube. I'll be sure to announce it on the Forum when it's up there.
Stay tuned!
Billie

JPNEWT

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Billie

Florence was/is a great supporter to the women's game for sure! We always enjoyed the tournaments up there in the fall. Beautiful ride in on a fall Saturday morning.

Sweet great woman with a lot of history and good stories!

We miss you too Billie - good dinners!

Sharon

BillieBilliards

Registered
I spoke to Florence today. She's doing great! She attended her 70th high school reunion last weekend and had a blast. I told her everyone is still thinking of her and wishing her well. I would play with you gals but I can't see anymore! So glad the tour is still going strong.
Billie
www.BillieBilliards.com

NYTechGuy

Lock N Block
Silver Member
Great thread Billie!

I, too was one of Florences regulars and am proud to call her my friend. She is a very special lady who looked out for us younger players. I was victim to her game many times. Many good times were had there.

I was a ref with my friend Steve for her back in the NYS 9 ball days. So happy to see this thread!