Travel Cue

Wilk

Registered
So, I have recently had to travel a lot for work. Air travel with pool cues is a pita so I have been thinking about building myself a nice version of one of these https://www.amazon.com/McDermott-Star-SG1-Portable-Billiards/dp/B01JD3SXK8

I have built a handful of cues at this point so most of the build is straightforward, the only trick is what screw setup to use in that first joint in the shaft right below the straight taper.

So getting to my question, does anyone have a recommendation and reasoning for your recommendation?

I typically just use 3/8-10 SS with the centering barrels, however that would be very bulky and heavy that far forward in a shaft. Going to straight rod is fine, I am sure I can still get it centered, but would going to a 5/16-14 and a lightweight insert be a better option here for weight, and structure?

Does anyone have a vendor for G10 3/8-10 rod?

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:

mohler

Registered
I made a 3 piece cue using G10 3/8-10 radial pins from Schmelke cues.

Attachments

• 20190930_091407.jpg
    20190930_091407.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Wilk

Registered
That is exactly what I am looking at doing. I would prefer to keep the top shaft joint just wood to wood faces, but I understand why you went the route you did with the rings.

I am looking for either G10, or titanium threaded rod at this point. I would prefer to not have the bulk of the centering barrel on that top joint as the shaft will still be fairly skinny at that point. As Cueman said skinny is better and that makes since to me, but for the same reasons I don't want to use anything that needs an insert. Old school 3/8 x 10 seems to be the best option

On the other hand modified with a centering barrel obviously worked just fine for you and maybe I am over thinking it.

The other big question is have you traveled with that cue in your carry on luggage? I am going to be pissed if the TSA takes it when I am done.

mohler

Registered
It is a wood to wood face, just added the rings to hopefully reinforce it. If you are making it yourself try it without rings, if it splits you can make another. I made the shaft a little larger at that joint than other shafts so it does play a little stiffer. I haven't carried it for air travel, I made it to fit in a motorcycle trunk or saddlebag.

Attachments

• 20190930_125530.jpg
    20190930_125530.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 188