Travel Cue
Old
  (#1)
Wilk
AzB Bronze Member
Wilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

Travel Cue - 09-29-2019, 03:02 PM

So, I have recently had to travel a lot for work. Air travel with pool cues is a pita so I have been thinking about building myself a nice version of one of these https://www.amazon.com/McDermott-Sta.../dp/B01JD3SXK8

I have built a handful of cues at this point so most of the build is straightforward, the only trick is what screw setup to use in that first joint in the shaft right below the straight taper.

So getting to my question, does anyone have a recommendation and reasoning for your recommendation?

I typically just use 3/8-10 SS with the centering barrels, however that would be very bulky and heavy that far forward in a shaft. Going to straight rod is fine, I am sure I can still get it centered, but would going to a 5/16-14 and a lightweight insert be a better option here for weight, and structure?

Does anyone have a vendor for G10 3/8-10 rod?

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by Wilk; 09-29-2019 at 03:03 PM. Reason: bad english?

Old
  (#2)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

09-29-2019, 09:26 PM

The smaller the pin the better.

Old
  (#3)
mohler
AzB Bronze Member
mohler is on a distinguished road

09-30-2019, 06:18 AM

I made a 3 piece cue using G10 3/8-10 radial pins from Schmelke cues.
Attached Images

Last edited by mohler; 09-30-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Old
  (#4)
Wilk
AzB Bronze Member
Wilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond repute

09-30-2019, 08:58 AM

That is exactly what I am looking at doing. I would prefer to keep the top shaft joint just wood to wood faces, but I understand why you went the route you did with the rings.

I am looking for either G10, or titanium threaded rod at this point. I would prefer to not have the bulk of the centering barrel on that top joint as the shaft will still be fairly skinny at that point. As Cueman said skinny is better and that makes since to me, but for the same reasons I don't want to use anything that needs an insert. Old school 3/8 x 10 seems to be the best option

On the other hand modified with a centering barrel obviously worked just fine for you and maybe I am over thinking it.

The other big question is have you traveled with that cue in your carry on luggage? I am going to be pissed if the TSA takes it when I am done.

Old
  (#5)
aphelps1
AzB Silver Member
aphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond reputeaphelps1 has a reputation beyond repute

09-30-2019, 10:10 AM

The last I heard, cues were not permitted in carry on luggage.

Alan

Old
  (#6)
mohler
AzB Bronze Member
mohler is on a distinguished road

09-30-2019, 10:59 AM

It is a wood to wood face, just added the rings to hopefully reinforce it. If you are making it yourself try it without rings, if it splits you can make another. I made the shaft a little larger at that joint than other shafts so it does play a little stiffer. I haven't carried it for air travel, I made it to fit in a motorcycle trunk or saddlebag.
Attached Images

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: