Found a little unexpected gem last night.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at a brewery last night in Beaufort, NC. I was talking to the girl about something to do later. She mentioned a place called Royal James Cafe. At first it didn't interest me and then she said, "it has 3 large pool tables and a band is playing tonight"

Our group headed to an all you can eat oyster roast and had a few beers. A little later, we walked down the street to the Royal James Cafe.

It looked like a diner from the outside. We walked in and sure enough, there were 3 large Brunswicks along with 2 bar boxes in the back of the room. The tables appeared to be very old but in really good shape. Apparently this place is the longest continuous running business in Beaufort.

While speaking with the lady at the counter, she told me it was $2.00 per hour for the large tables and .25 per game for the bar boxes. WOW.

She then told me that the place had been renovated over the years but the floor was original. You could see the worn floor from people walking around the corner pockets. She said that Willie and Fats had played in the room however I didn't see any photos on the walls of them.

Cheeseburgers $2.00
Double Cheeseburgers $4.00
Pints of beer $3.00 Very cold.

We played for about 1.5 hours and had a great time.

If you're ever in the area, check it out.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was at a brewery last night in Beaufort, NC. I was talking to the girl about something to do later. She mentioned a place called Royal James Cafe. At first it didn't interest me and then she said, "it has 3 large pool tables and a band is playing tonight"

Our group headed to an all you can eat oyster roast and had a few beers. A little later, we walked down the street to the Royal James Cafe.

It looked like a diner from the outside. We walked in and sure enough, there were 3 large Brunswicks along with 2 bar boxes in the back of the room. The tables appeared to be very old but in really good shape. Apparently this place is the longest continuous running business in Beaufort.

While speaking with the lady at the counter, she told me it was $2.00 per hour for the large tables and .25 per game for the bar boxes. WOW.

She then told me that the place had been renovated over the years but the floor was original. You could see the worn floor from people walking around the corner pockets. She said that Willie and Fats had played in the room however I didn't see any photos on the walls of them.

Cheeseburgers $2.00

WOW. What a spot. https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=e...hUKEwiPkaSH_LnlAhVRR60KHdbUDJsQoiowCnoECA8QBg

YOLO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for this post! 10 years ago my wife and I moved to FL from MD on our boat. We took 6 months and stopped at ever small town on the ICW we could. We played those tables. Our kinda place :)

Pic is from July 2010

Attachments

• IMG00057-20100623-1401.jpg
    IMG00057-20100623-1401.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 1,340
Last edited:

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great Find!

As a pool purist I would like a little higher ceiling. However that wouldn't keep me from being in there daily if I worked or lived nearby!

I really like finding those old places. Found a cafe/restaurant that was a stopping place for the passenger trains once upon a time. The back bar had been lifted from a destroyed plantation home and was probably worth more than the rest of the building combined! Unfortunately this place closed.

Other places open and close in historic old buildings and there are finds all over New Orleans if you can stand New Orleans! I went to school near the river and my favorite lunch stop was in an over hundred year old grocery store. Grabbed a po-boy there and sat in the park to eat during good weather. The zoo was close enough to hear exotic animals. The most dangerous ones in the park were the tree squirrels. They would climb your leg for potato chips and you could see dozens converging on you like the rats in Willard!

I need to spend a week or three prowling Acadiana.

Hu

gcmortal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh my yes. Thousand times yes.

Could be room for a fourth table when the bar boxes are disposed of, maybe even a snooker.

:D

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Those are ANNIVERSARIES!!!!!!!!!....:lovies:

...can’t remember the last time I saw a cigarette machine

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know where I'm headed the next time my wife visits the in-laws:thumbup:

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to mention in my OP that the burgers were absolutely delicious. They were cooked on a flat top.

They have a band playing tonight. Old Time country and classic rock. We will probably be making our way back in.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forgot to mention in my OP that the burgers were absolutely delicious. They were cooked on a flat top.

They have a band playing tonight. Old Time country and classic rock. We will probably be making our way back in.
I gotta find this joint. A hidden jewel. Thanks.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheeseburgers $2.00

Very cool! Reminds me of Joe Jost's minus the 1940 prices.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
The food prices (click on menu in the link) were what blew me away...haven't seen such a low priced menu in Oregon for at least a decade.

Bic D

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A quick pic of the menu board

Attachments

• IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 1,016

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure........

Cheeseburgers $2.00

Are you sure you didn’t just visit................ (music plays) THE TWILIGHT ZONE......

Td

EddieBme

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheeseburgers $2.00

If Fats, and Mosconi played there, no doubt Luther "Wimpy" Lassiter did too, and probably scarfed up a few them burgers.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member

Cheeseburgers $2.00

Whatever you do, don't tell the people who own the place that it's not the 1960's anymore.