International Open

ThinSlice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Folks talk about the poor compensation for pool players, but he made in less than 1 week what many PROFESSIONAL teachers make in a year. Just something to think about.

Yes, but I am willing to bet that most teachers couldn’t run out a rack of 9 ball on a 7’ table not to mention doing it on a 9’ diamond with the pressure on. Both of these players had nerves like crazy. Although Shaw surely didn’t show it on that last rack. I wish more games were played like that last one. Balls out go for it and it paid off. Outside of the opening safety he played like he was playing on his home table with nobody watching.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Folks talk about the poor compensation for pool players, but he made in less than 1 week what many PROFESSIONAL teachers make in a year. Just something to think about.

Well, gee, now all their problems are solved, now that "all they gotta do" is be one of the best 20 pool players in the world to make slightly more than a teacher!!!

And the fact that being that good is apparently no guarantee of winning one of these events, as evidenced by all the Ko brothers, and SVB not gettin' 'er dun this week.

Remind me again what just barely making the cut at a PGA event pays again??? For players barely in the top 200 world wide?

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well, once he declared his intentions...he had to go through with it....
...Mr Vaskovskyi didn’t want to be known on AZ as Chicken Kiev

View attachment 533352

:wink:
As I already said pool fans as well as players might be the craziest and patient people in the world. You have to be... if after sitting so many racks in the chair and being down 0:9 like in SVB vs Lechner match you want to come back to win 10 straight racks... It was a great tournament with a lot of great matches and moments to remember and this forum made it even more fun:thumbup2:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1572779429774.jpg
    FB_IMG_1572779429774.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 360

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well...just take a group of kids 10-11 years old and start coaching them. You are welcome to motivate them with such a bright future especially once they get older and mature enough to think about their future and how to make a living. That is something you better have your own experience. As a coach who works with kids for so many years that is one of the biggest issues and that is in a country where 30000$ in a week is a huge amount of money. But lets better not going deep in this topic so our mood goes down where the pool is now in comparison to so many other sports and other proffessions.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thank you. shaw is a beast

he's got the peri logo on his shirt so that should settle the cue question. i've never heard of them. c8b company?
Home co. is Weilu Billiards, one of the largest cuemakers on the planet. Peri and Eclat are their big cue lines. They also distribute Cyclop balls and a table brand Laili. Big outfit.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'd bet a lot of money that the average teacher makes more than the average pro pool player.

Guys play pool for a living because they love the game and would rather be doing this than working at a straight job. Of course it makes little sense financially for most of them, but if you're doing what you love who's to say it's the wrong decision. Most full time players wouldn't feel comfortable anywhere else but in a poolroom or at a tournament.

I could have become a doctor and made a much better income but I aspired to have my own poolroom and did okay at that. I don't regret the choices I made early on in my life. It has been a profitable, fun and exciting ride. I wouldn't trade it for an extra million in the bank, that's for sure. :dance:

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guys play pool for a living because they love the game and would rather be doing this than working at a straight job. Of course it makes little sense financially for most of them, but if you're doing what you love who's to say it's the wrong decision. Most full time players wouldn't feel comfortable anywhere else but in a poolroom or at a tournament.

I could have become a doctor and made a much better income but I aspired to have my own poolroom and did okay at that. I don't regret the choices I made early on in my life. It has been a profitable, fun and exciting ride. I wouldn't trade it for an extra million in the bank, that's for sure. :dance:

I know someone close to me who feels exactly the same way you do.

It's easy for folks to criticize others about their choices in life unless they walk in their shoes and understand their footsteps more thoroughly.

Me personally? If I had to do it over, I think I would have done a few things differently, but I'm kind of lucky to have made it as far as I have in life, considering the journey I took before I got here. :grin-square:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fargorate updates

Hmmm, Looks like post-tournament, no big jumps and changes in Fargo. Unless they have not fully updated.

Justin about same but now above Sky. Suprisingly, Lechner only jumped about 7 points to 787 and still below 800. I think Shaw and Little Ko move up a little

https://fargorate.com/top-ten-lists

111.jpg

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Jay...Know how to make a million dollars in the pool biz? Start with TWO million! LOL :thumbup:

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Hmmm, Looks like post-tournament, no big jumps and changes in Fargo. Unless they have not fully updated.

Justin about same but now above Sky. Suprisingly, Lechner only jumped about 7 points to 787 and still below 800. I think Shaw and Little Ko move up a little

https://fargorate.com/top-ten-lists

View attachment 533381

Filler went down a point. How do you finish 3rd in this event losing only to 1st and 2nd place finishers an go down a point?

Shane went down 1 point also, but lost much earlier.

Ko ping Chung went up a point.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mick...and you'd win. The average teacher salary in the USA is $60,000. Check the AzB money list and you'll find less than a handful of top pro players making that much...let alone the average pro pool player!

Scott Lee
Director, SPF National Pool School Tour

I'd bet a lot of money that the average teacher makes more than the average pro pool player.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Filler went down a point. How do you finish 3rd in this event losing only to 1st and 2nd place finishers an go down a point?

Shane went down 1 point also, but lost much earlier.

Ko ping Chung went up a point.

Pretty sure beating guys you should beat doesn’t move you...
...but if you lose to lower rated players, you move down.