predator 314 vs Stock Joss Shaft

homepc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was telling a friend that I wanted to replace my stock Joss shaft with a predator 314 shaft. He seemed to think that the stock Joss shaft was better then the predator 314? His logic was that the Joss shaft was hand made and the predator 314 was production?

Any thoughts? thanks

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the joss shaft is production as well. his argument doesn't make any sense. i'd say the only real problem with switching shafts might be that the joss is supposed to be balanced with the shaft it came with and the 314 is probably lighter. but since it has a weight bolt that really wouldn't be a problem at all

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
I have a 1994 Joss and I've played with it both ways. Without a doubt, the stock shaft has a helluva lot of "deflection" compared to a 314. More than the Schon shaft I had at the same time. I put the 314 on in 1995 or 1996 and never looked back. A 314 also displaced the Schon shaft on that cue.

When I was switching between Joss & Schon, it would take me considerable time to get used to the other shaft/cue. With the handful of 314's I've had over the years, I can pick up a new one and shoot comfortably with it immediately...independent of which butt I put it on.

IMO, buy the 314/314-2...or OB1. Tiger X if you want something in between "low deflection" and your stock Joss.

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:
I have a 1994 Joss and I've played with it both ways. Without a doubt, the stock shaft has a helluva lot of "deflection" compared to a 314. More than the Schon shaft I had at the same time. I put the 314 on in 1995 or 1996 and never looked back. A 314 also displaced the Schon shaft on that cue.

When I was switching between Joss & Schon, it would take me considerable time to get used to the other shaft/cue. With the handful of 314's I've had over the years, I can pick up a new one and shoot comfortably with it immediately...independent of which butt I put it on.

IMO, buy the 314/314-2...or OB1. Tiger X if you want something in between "low deflection" and your stock Joss.

what was the joss shaft size? i hear they make them like 13.25mm so that who ever buys them can have them taken down to what ever they prefer

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
homepc said:
Hmm....I just had mine sized and it was at 13.

have you thought about just having the shaft taken down and maybe re tapered? i'm sure one of the cuemakers on here could shorten the ferruel and mimic the predator taper. or are you sure you want the predator shaft?

have you put any thought into other shafts? ob1/2 z shaft?

bigskyjake

you heard the man
Silver Member
dude, most stock shafts give anything by Pred. the 6-out, crackles, and the handspan spot

xidica

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
original 314

I've played with many cues and different cuemakers shafts both custom and production and recently switched to a 314 1st generation sneaky pete SPWU I believe with the 4 points and green veneers and I personally love it. Been playing with it around 2-3 months now and definitely have seen an improvement in my game after the initial period of getting used to it.

THE FLASH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:

VERY GOOD POINT.

THE FLASH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
mosconiac said:

VERY GOOD POINT.

mosconiac

Job+Wife+Child=No Stroke
Silver Member
bigskyjake said:
dude, most stock shafts give anything by Pred. the 6-out, crackles, and the handspan spot
And here you have the other side of the coin. You will get two answers when it comes to low deflection shafts. One poster will say they've given them an honest try (not a test shot or two), compared them to the "standard" shafts they own, and came to some conclusion (either to keep their standard shaft or go LD). The other poster will simply say "they suck" with no supporting (stated) experience.

homepc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I good friend of mine just informed me of a very good point. I was playing the best pool recently, but my tip (morri medium) was down to almost nothing. So, I had a new Morri Medium put on and I was having a bit of trouble. Thats when a friend let me use his preditor 314 shaft. I played great again, but my friend pointed out that the preditor had only about half a tip left also.

So, now I wonder if its my new tip thats causing me trouble? Maybe I just need to get used to the new tip? Or should I start using a harder tip?
I assume that when they get worn down, they get harder and maybe thats why I was playing good is because I should be playing with a harder tip? Am I over-analyzing this?

Banks

Banned
I had my joss tapered down and ended up with the Z2, which had an almost identical diameter. I like it a lot..

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
homepc said:
I good friend of mine just informed me of a very good point. I was playing the best pool recently, but my tip (morri medium) was down to almost nothing. So, I had a new Morri Medium put on and I was having a bit of trouble. Thats when a friend let me use his preditor 314 shaft. I played great again, but my friend pointed out that the preditor had only about half a tip left also.

So, now I wonder if its my new tip thats causing me trouble? Maybe I just need to get used to the new tip? Or should I start using a harder tip?
I assume that when they get worn down, they get harder and maybe thats why I was playing good is because I should be playing with a harder tip? Am I over-analyzing this?

why don't you shave some of your new tip off.

spoons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It always takes me time to adjust to a new tip. Before you spend the money on a new shaft, I'd give the new tip a little time. Once you've broken it in the way you like it, you might see more consistent results.

That said, your friend (from the original post) might be giving you uninformed advice. As poolplayer points out, both shafts are production. But perhaps more importantly, production or otherwise, you should play with whichever shaft feels best to you. The Joss and the 314 will play very differently. If you have a friend who will let you use the 314 for a while to test it out before you buy, you might want to try that first.