"couples"

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I made up a game which is remotely similar to the game "Colors" but sufficiently different that it deserves its own name and rules.

Here are the rules:

OBJECT OF THE GAME “COUPLES”

Colored-pair 8-Ball (“COUPLES”) is played with a cue ball and fifteen object balls, numbered 1 through 15. Similarly colored balls 1-9, 2-10, 3-11, 4-12, 5-13, 6-14, and 7-15 are played in pairs. A player must pocket balls of paired colors (Couples).

After the Break, if no balls are pocketed, the incoming player chooses a similarly colored pair (couple) and notifies the opponent(s) of his choice, i.e., “Calls the Couple”. For example, the 1 and 9, or the 6 and 14, etc., and then attempts to pocket the selected pair in any order in a called pocket. After pocketing one of the colored pair, he/she must then pocket the other ball of the couple in a called pocket.

The player then marks down one point for each ball and chooses another couple. Player continues to shoot until he/she misses a called shot or until a foul occurs. If a foul occurs, the incoming player has Ball-In-Hand anywhere on the table to begin his/her inning.

A scratch on the Break results in Ball-In-Hand anywhere on the table for the incoming player. When a colored ball is made and the similarly colored pair ball is missed, the inning is over and the potted ball is returned to the foot spot.

The player who scores the highest points wins the game. In order to win, the 8 ball must be pocketed last and within the same inning as the final remaining colored pair. The 8-ball counts as two points. All other balls count as one point each. In the event of a tie score, a new game is played through to completion each time until a winner is declared.

If during the Break, the player pockets more than one ball, he/she must choose one of the colors potted on the Break allowing that one to remain pocketed and spot the remaining pocketed ball(s) back on the table. He/she then shoots the remaining ball of the selected couple. If both balls of similar color are pocketed on the Break, the player then marks down a score of 2 points and selects another couple to attempt to pocket and continues shooting until he/she misses or fouls. If only one colored ball was pocketed on the Break, he/she may elect to spot that ball and play any ball on the table, including the freshly spotted ball, from the existing cue ball location.

If during play, a player pockets both similarly colored balls but scratches on the last ball of the Couple, both colors are re-spotted on the table and the incoming player has Ball-In-Hand anywhere on the table. A scratch on the 8-Ball requires that the last couple and the 8-Ball are all re-spotted (8-Ball on the Head Spot) and the incoming player has Ball-In-Hand.

At anytime during a player’s inning, the 8-Ball may be struck first in order for a player to get shape. For example, if a player has just pocketed the 5-Ball and is hidden from the 13-Ball but can pocket the 8-Ball and get shape on the 13-Ball, he/she is permitted to first pocket the 8-Ball, and re-spot the 8-Ball before shooting the 13-Ball. The 8-Ball always spots on the Head Spot and all other balls spot on the Foot Spot. He/she must pocket the 8-Ball and immediately re-spot it in order to keep shooting. Player may do this as often as deemed necessary to get shape on a colored ball.

Any ball that is pocketed as a part of a combination, carom, kick or bank off the 8-Ball is ruled a foul and any balls pocketed during the inning are re-spotted and the inning is over. Combinations, caroms, kicks and banks with Couples are allowed.

Each player is allowed to call a "Random Call" once during the game as a shot during one of their innings. A "Random Call" allows the player to strike any ball first (except the 8-Ball) to pocket any color ball without calling the couple. This shot may be a combination, bank, kick or carom. Once the shot is executed and a color ball is pocketed, the "Random Call" is finished and the player must pocket the paired-color ball as per the regular game rules. (The game "Couples" is much more difficult if "Random Call" is not permitted, however, those who are not real proficient at "getting shapes" will appreciate the relief this exception allows.)

The rack is specific to the game and must be racked as follows:
With the person racking standing at the foot spot, the apex ball is #1 and the ball to the right and rear of it is the #9. This row is completed by #3, #11, and #5. To the left of the apex ball #1 is followed by #2, #10, #4 and #12.
The 8-ball is in the center of the third row. The #14 is the second ball in the 4th row and the #7 is the 3rd ball in the 4th row.
The bottom row from left to right is: #12, #6, #15, #13, and #5

All other play is as the standard rules for 8-Ball.

Last edited:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Rack

photo 2.JPG
This rack, or the reverse (as noted above in the Rules) is acceptable for "Couples".

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
I made up a game which is remotely similar to the game "Colors" but sufficiently different that it deserves its own name and rules.

Here are the rules:

OBJECT OF THE GAME “COUPLES”

Colored-pair 8-Ball (“COUPLES”) is played with a cue ball and fifteen object balls, numbered 1 through 15. Similarly colored balls 1-9, 2-10, 3-11, 4-12, 5-13, 6-14, and 7-15 are played in pairs. A player must pocket balls of paired colors (Couples).

I think playing new games do make players think more, and become better players mentally.

Your game sounds interesting by pocketing balls in pairs. It's similar to the game of cribbage.

The game COLORS uses color ball pairs.... http://www.sfbilliards.com/Misc/colors_game.pdf

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think playing new games do make players think more, and become better players mentally.

Your game sounds interesting by pocketing balls in pairs. It's similar to the game of cribbage.

The game COLORS uses color ball pairs.... http://www.sfbilliards.com/Misc/colors_game.pdf

I know that if I were better at getting shapes I'd do a whole lot better at my new game of "COUPLES". I played several racks of it this afternoon with a pool-playing friend who stopped over and it's a flat out hard game to play. But, it's helping me a lot with shapes.

At first, it was discouraging to play because of so much re-spotting balls, but there's much less of it now that I'm getting a little more used to getting shapes. It's a real teaser, that's for sure. Not for the faint-hearted. :smile:

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Couples

I talked one of the better players down at the Senior Center today into trying my new game of "Couples" and he took to it right away.

The game lasted quite a while as neither of us are professionals at getting shape for our next ball. But, he enjoyed it a lot and agreed it was a tough game that required the ability to get shapes. He eventually beat me 10 to 6. Man o man, this is a hard game.

It's such a hard game, it probably won't become popular as so many of us don't play well enough to run right through a rack of "Couples".

Drawback

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did it!

I did it! I did it! I ran through a rack of "Couples" tonight and potted the eight ball without a single miss. (And I wasn't playing "Random Call".) Now if I could only do it again!:thumbup:

Last edited: