Reload this Page Breaking shafts issue
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Share Thread Tools Rate Thread
Breaking shafts issue
Old
  (#1)
Dave38
theemperorhasnoclotheson
Dave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1700

Breaking shafts issue - 07-06-2017, 11:10 AM

For the Experts out there.....Ok, so I started to use a QR 3/8x10 flat minor pin on some break cues recently. I installed phenolic inserts that are 1.250" long at .560" dia. Drilled/bored to a .308 hole, then tapped with a tap with .308 pilot and the threads come out firm, but not tight. I have used brown linen and black canvas phenolic. most customers have had no problems, but 2 customers have bought them and they are the only ones that break in the 23-25mph range consistently. Both have come back within days with broken shafts, right at the collar...see pictures. The maple shaft sheared right at the collar, AND split the phen insert right down the middle, the purpleheart shaft split the wood slightly, but the phen still looks solid, just the part under the collar sheared off. Both sheared right where the threads stop on the pin, just by coincidence, I made the collar the same size as the thread length.
Now, has anyone else had this happen? I know that others use phenolic inserts without issues, is it the pin not being threaded all the way thru the insert, or is there something else going on? I love these pins, but can't have this keep happening.

Any insight is greatly appreciated,
Dave

Name:  20170706_133636.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  199.9 KB

Name:  20170706_133648.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  199.9 KB

Name:  20170329_205500.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  167.1 KB

Old
  (#2)
Mcues
AzB Silver Member
Mcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond reputeMcues has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2017, 12:04 PM

Nothing wrong with the insert but the pin is creating a weak spot in the shaft joint and it wouldn't matter in most cases but those guys are flexing the hell out of the shaft at the end of their break stroke against the table. I've used those pins on jump cues but for break cues I use a my regular 3/8 10 with a phenolic insert; the extra threads are needed. Of course you already know all this

Mario

The trouble with communication is the illusion that it has taken place.
Mcues3@aol.com

https://www.facebook.com/Mcues-11355...dmin_todo_tour

Old
  (#3)
Dave38
theemperorhasnoclotheson
Dave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond reputeDave38 has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2017, 01:43 PM

I have thought that this maybe the case, I also did try to make the hole to be the same as the unthreaded pin, like the unilock is done, but I think the tap bored it slightly wider leaving a slight gap. I will try a smaller dia. like .500" and change the pin to a full thread and see how it goes. The first one, the maple shaft, I made a new shaft and just tapped the wood threads and it has been fine so far.
Thanks Mario,
Dave

Old
  (#4)
Wilk
AzB Bronze Member
Wilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond reputeWilk has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 500

07-06-2017, 02:24 PM

Your second picture shows it all. The thread is only going into the ring section if the insert., and not the rest of the way. Thus you have 100% of the axial force of the break going into just the section of threading between the ring part of the insert, and the actual insert into the maple. I can't measure photos, but it looks like a 1/8 at best trying to handle all that force. The rest of the damage is just caused by the insert breaking. That pin, and that insert will not work together on a break cue. At least not for anyone who flexes the shaft against the table. You either need more threads, or separated rings and inserts. Maybe go to phenolic rings and nylon inserts, or just ditch one or the other.

Phenolics are very strong in one direction, but equally weak 90 degs to that. No matter what the use is, short of a lot of engineering.

Old
  (#5)
Kim Bye
AzB Silver Member
Kim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond reputeKim Bye has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2017, 02:44 PM

Is the shaft trim ring glued right to the phenolic insert?
Edit: I see what's going on there, the threads are only in the ring section of the shaft.
Use a regular 3/8-10M pin and you will spread the force over a much bigger area.

Cold silence
has a tendency
to atrophy any
sense of compassion

Last edited by Kim Bye; 07-06-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Old
  (#6)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2017, 03:24 PM

Your plug is to big for starters. 9/16 plug. 5/8 collar. Basically a .030 wall. Not good. What kind of glue holding them?

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#7)
Dave38
theemperorhasnoclotheson

07-06-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
Your plug is to big for starters. 9/16 plug. 5/8 collar. Basically a .030 wall. Not good. What kind of glue holding them?
The phenolic plug is .560" dia. 1.250" long glued in with West 205 with a 1/2" sticking out and a 1/2" thick phenolic collar bored to .560" then glued to the plug using West 205. The finished joint dia. is .850, so leaving a wall thickness of the maple/purpleheart to be around .140" per side, give or take a few thousandths, right where the wood meets the collar. I measured the brass inserts I have, and they seem to run around .450 ish, which adds .050 per side, but still doesn't sound like a lot. I may just go back to using the full threaded pins for breakers and just use these on the regular playing cues.
Dave

Old
  (#8)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

07-06-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Webb View Post
Your plug is too big for starters. 9/16 plug. 5/8 collar. Basically a .030 wall. Not good. What kind of glue holding them?
Agreed.
1/2 is fine . Don't need the threads all the way to the bottom either.
I like my insert at 1/2 18. Reduced at the end to .450.
I drill the hole at .450 and thread it.

I like .675 tenon. That still leaves the collar thick wall.

Try using 1/2 13 plugs Unique sells, Dave.

Old
  (#9)
Dave38
theemperorhasnoclotheson

07-06-2017, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilk View Post
Your second picture shows it all. The thread is only going into the ring section if the insert., and not the rest of the way. Thus you have 100% of the axial force of the break going into just the section of threading between the ring part of the insert, and the actual insert into the maple. I can't measure photos, but it looks like a 1/8 at best trying to handle all that force.
It is actually 1/2" of threads, which by coincidence, just happened to be the same size I made the collars. I may try using a .300" thick collar, but not sure if that would be enough to solve the issue.
dave

Old
  (#10)
Dave38
theemperorhasnoclotheson

07-06-2017, 04:31 PM

Another thought, would carbon fiber or G10 be better insert materials?
dave

Old
  (#11)
JoeyInCali
AzB Silver Member

JoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond reputeJoeyInCali has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4400

07-06-2017, 04:37 PM

Last edited by JoeyInCali; 07-06-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Old
  (#12)
Michael Webb
AzB Silver Member
Michael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond reputeMichael Webb has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave38 View Post
The phenolic plug is .560" dia. 1.250" long glued in with West 205 with a 1/2" sticking out and a 1/2" thick phenolic collar bored to .560" then glued to the plug using West 205. The finished joint dia. is .850, so leaving a wall thickness of the maple/purpleheart to be around .140" per side, give or take a few thousandths, right where the wood meets the collar. I measured the brass inserts I have, and they seem to run around .450 ish, which adds .050 per side, but still doesn't sound like a lot. I may just go back to using the full threaded pins for breakers and just use these on the regular playing cues.
Dave

Cool. 1/2 phenolic is all you need. Add some 404 to the epoxy. It really helps. The pin looks interesting. How's your tolerance on the nonthreaded shank?

Best Wishes
Michael Webb

Old
  (#13)
Canadian cue
AzB Silver Member
Canadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond reputeCanadian cue has a reputation beyond repute

07-06-2017, 04:49 PM

Adding a radius at base of the ring shoulder will also add strength.

Old
  (#14)
cueman
AzB Silver Member

cueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond reputecueman has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4100

07-07-2017, 08:45 AM

I personally think you need to put the phenolic in then cut a tenon with wood still around it at least 5/8" and glue your phenolic joint collar over that. This stops the phenolic insert from taking all the pressure.

Old
  (#15)
ratcues
No yodeling, please.
ratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond reputeratcues has a reputation beyond repute

07-07-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueman View Post
I personally think you need to put the phenolic in then cut a tenon with wood still around it at least 5/8" and glue your phenolic joint collar over that. This stops the phenolic insert from taking all the pressure.
^^^this^^^

I am no longer working for Mueller Rec Products.

You cannot kill me with kindness. I don't buy it...

Ryan Theewen

Contact me through Facebook or ratnroll@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: