Ronnie O'Sullivan - Age 15 - Just To Reinforce Your Feeling Of Inadequacy

TheThaiger

Banned
Don't know about that, he is for sure a top player in snooker, but how is he in kicks, safeties, spinning the ball, etc... Snooker is tough to play due to the size of the table and pocket cuts, but there is not too much you do with the cue ball, and there is not a lot of creativity that has to be done most of the time. You just shoot a ball, or leave a long tough shot for the other guy. No hitting 3 rails with inside english to lock up a ball on a stack for 1-pocket or something.

He'd probably be a top ball potter (to use the british term), but top in all cue sports, not in my opinion.

I suspect Ronnie would have been a more successful pool player than he is a snooker player. Snooker is a discipline, in the way martial arts are a discipline, for instance. It is more about precision than flare. A mercurial genius like Ronnie would find it easier to express himself with the variety of shots offered by pool, and be less bored, possibly.

bwally

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suspect Ronnie would have been a more successful pool player than he is a snooker player. Snooker is a discipline, in the way martial arts are a discipline, for instance. It is more about precision than flare. A mercurial genius like Ronnie would find it easier to express himself with the variety of shots offered by pool, and be less bored, possibly.

I think we could have a new TAR 31 Match... Ronnie vs ???. They play snooker, 10 ball and maybe 14.1? Now that I would happily pay top $$ for.. :smile:

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member

Though honestly, it's probably a blessing if anyone stumbles on snooker first.

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are thousands of British players that cue like Ronnie, 99% with no coaching, no books, no DVDs...

Ok, great players probably don't watch DVDs or read books, I'll give you that. But no personal coach? No guidance at all? Come on. Ever heard of Del Hill? Wasn't he Ronnie's coach?

Thaiger, how much are you really into snooker? Your teasing of AZB crowd is getting really old. I read a lot of TSF (thesnookerforum), mostly British snooker players there there, some pretty strong, with very active coaching section. Why not register there and impress people with your superior knowledge? Perhaps they will see the light?

bsmutz

Fearlessly Happy
Silver Member
Not sure was #7 was, it looked like he missed the shot and got a lucky safe. From the shots he can make, does not look like he'd have had a problem making the ball and going up table for the next one. Maybe I don't know enough about snooker strategy, why would he bank that ball on purpose like that?

The reason he banked that ball and went for the safety was because he was behind in the score. He was trying to play safe so that his opponent would miss and Ronnie would get points. In snooker, when a player fouls, points get added to his opponent's score. Believe me, his intent on that shot was to hide the cue ball behind the 7 ball (black). I've seen snooker players do that on many occasions, and, as I pointed out above, with only a couple of balls on the table. I would recommend that you spend a little more time understanding the game before you critique the players' skills. This quote of yours is a blatant example of how little you know about playing snooker: "there is not too much you do with the cue ball". Watch Ronnie's fastest maximum break and tell me he's not doing much with the cueball, LOL! Not doing much but making it go within a millimeter of exactly where it needs to be!

Last edited:

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Wow, this just cemented my opinion that he is the most talented cue sport player of all time. Efren is a close 2nd... Thanks for the links!

He's not even considered the best of all time in snooker. Most talented? I don't even know what that means.

Freddie <~~~ always votes for Walter Lindrum

Chesscat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
snooker rookie

I never watched snooker b4, now I can see the attraction. But tell me, does it have some similarities to one pocket (or vice versa)?

pooljd

Registered
He's not even considered the best of all time in snooker. Most talented? I don't even know what that means.

Its a phrase used very often with Ronnie. He is regarded as the most talented / naturally gifted snooker player by most other players & fans alike (and I agree). That means he isn't the winningest, but that is a whole different story. He has had to fight clinical depression through the prime of his career.

BasementDweller

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's really sick, a steady 4.5 hours a day to make 10k hours in that span? I mean, he must have had some time off at some point right? It's not the soviet gymnastics team. Maybe shooting fast allowed him to sneak in more practice per hour :p

The composure was amazing. His first game 'on telly'. That poor other kid, he showed a brief sign of life, but mostly it was like getting run over by a train.

And you're right predator... beautiful textbook stroke. Gotta learn that when you're young and the mind is still malleable. Before all the bad habits have settled in. Trying to learn those mechanics after shooting with quirks for 10 years... I suspect for most of us it's a waste of time.

I know you were joking about the shooting fast part but I actually do believe that this can be very beneficial to the up and coming player. If you take two kids with solid fundamentals but one of them shoots two or three times faster than the other kid how would the faster shooter not become the better player?

I think Ronnie and Earl are in the same boat here. I wonder if it took someone like Ralph Souquet a little bit longer to reach elite status.

Scaramouche

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never watched snooker b4, now I can see the attraction. But tell me, does it have some similarities to one pocket (or vice versa)?

I have never played straight pool (never played 1 pocket either), but I have Capelle's 'Play Your Best Straight Pool'. :D I think straight pool is the closest to snooker.

Given the lack of familiarity of American pool players with snooker, you have probably discovered a topic on which a vast amount of uninformed opinion can be generated. :D:D:D
I always like to post on topics where I am as well informed as anyone else.

predator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yes, there is. Lots of patience and work required. Many safety exchanges. Some 2 rail and 3 rail safeties might have similarities. It does have more straight pool elements than one pocket though. There's some 9ball stuff too.

To really appreciate the game, you have to watch full length matches for hours and hours and then some more hours. Then you will see all the shots that occur in pool too (except hard break and jumps of course). If you only watch high breaks made by top pros on youtube then you might get wrong idea what snooker really is about. Also, when you play you have to be ready to stay there for hours. It is not a quick fun game, certainly not for everyone. Most novice players quit early on.

SakuJack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never played straight pool (never played 1 pocket either), but I have Capelle's 'Play Your Best Straight Pool'. :D I think straight pool is the closest to snooker.

Can you imagine Hendry as a straight pool player? I actually don't think it would suit Ronnie's style, but I could see Hendry running some ridiculously high numbers if he had taken the game up years ago and put the time in - ridiculously high as in four figures.

TheThaiger

Banned
Ok, great players probably don't watch DVDs or read books, I'll give you that. But no personal coach? No guidance at all? Come on. Ever heard of Del Hill? Wasn't he Ronnie's coach?

Thaiger, how much are you really into snooker? Your teasing of AZB crowd is getting really old. I read a lot of TSF (thesnookerforum), mostly British snooker players there there, some pretty strong, with very active coaching section. Why not register there and impress people with your superior knowledge? Perhaps they will see the light?

What 'gets old' is having to respond to people feeling butt-hurt over being corrected. I said, there are thousands of people in the UK who cue like Ronnie, but 99% have had no coaching at all.

Are you British? Did you grow up in Ronnie's generation? No? Oh.

:rolleyes:

TheThaiger

Banned
Can you imagine Hendry as a straight pool player? I actually don't think it would suit Ronnie's style, but I could see Hendry running some ridiculously high numbers if he had taken the game up years ago and put the time in - ridiculously high as in four figures.

Agreed, although Hendry would win at anything he entered. An animal.

Underclocked

.........Whut?.........
Silver Member
It should be obvious to anyone that playing good snooker is all about having the correct dampness and positioning of your tongue. :D I believe Ronnie is still that 15 year old.