Hawaiian brian

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP to a pool legend.

Last time I spoke with Aki was at the Executive Inn many years ago.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. I’ve read a lot about him and wish I could have met the legend.

bd554b586e6a12b4ddd2f591ba009ca1.jpg

Last edited:

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Brian would come for two weeks in the winter (mid 80's) to Tony Cattuccis room in Toms River N.J.
He and Tony were old friends.
One night we got him to play in a 4 handed rotation game called 1 & 5 or called Chicago.
He ran out almost every time it was his turn.
I lost about a $100 so fast i had to quit.

On one trip he brought Rodney Morris,an 18 year old kid.
Rodney was not the player he turned out to be but at that time but he played pretty good.
You could see the potential he had.

Brian was a real good player and a nicer person.
I still have a Hawaiian Brians t-shirt in my closet.
Rip Brian.

Badbeat13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear the sad news and sorry for your loss.
Thoughts, prayers, and condolences to the family
and friends. RIP

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Brian would come for two weeks in the winter (mid 80's) to Tony Cattuccis room in Toms River N.J.
He and Tony were old friends.
One night we got him to play in a 4 handed rotation game called 1 & 5 or called Chicago.
He ran out almost every time it was his turn.
I lost about a $100 so fast i had to quit.

On one trip he brought Rodney Morris,an 18 year old kid.
Rodney was not the player he turned out to be but at that time but he played pretty good.
You could see the potential he had.

Brian was a real good player and a nicer person.
I still have a Hawaiian Brians t-shirt in my closet.
Rip Brian.

Anyone who ever met Brian and got to see him play was very fortunate. He always had a quick response for any verbal jab thrown his way. He would deflect it with a little barb of his own. He had a razor sharp wit.

Fuji-whopper

Fargo: 457...play some?
Silver Member
A little bit of us all passes away as the ones we knew leave us forever

I remember Richard Akimoto who worked with Brian,what ever became of him?

Aki now owns the Leeward Bowling Alley in Pearl City, he is doing well and is a very decent bowler to boot.

Neil

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RIP, Brian.

The very first time I ever heard of Brian was back in the late 60s, but I didn't know his name. There was a pool tournament in Marked Tree, Arkansas and my boss who owned the pool hall where I worked in Missouri came back from there and said, "there's a little Japanese guy over there kicking everybody's ass". From my memory, I think Brian won the tournament.

Then I became friends with Brian when I moved here in Hawaii, many, many years ago. He was always fun to talk to and we shared a lot of pool stories when he would come in Hawaiian Brian's from time to time.

I last saw him a couple years back and then he moved to Las Vegas. I've been to LV several times since then, but I never got a chance to look him up.

Just last Sunday, while playing in Hawaiian Brian's, I thought of him for some reason and I started talking to someone else who knows him and he mentioned that the last time he saw Brian, he was in a wheel chair.

I'd been planning a trip to LV for the not so distant future and I was thinking to myself that I should look him up and get him to agree to an interview where he sat down and we recorded stories and whatever he wanted to share, like he did when we had our BS sessions at the pool hall.

So, just last night, I was searching online for dates to go to LV in the middle of August and I was planning on looking him up.

Sometimes things always happen too late.

He'll always be a legend here in Hawaii.

Aloha Brian.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My sincerest condolences to his family and friends. I’ve read a lot about him and wish I could have met the legend.

That sure looks like his original TAD.. man
could Brian play some One Pocket !

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Terrible, terrible news.
Our pool world just got a whole lot smaller with
the passing of a true gentleman and legend.
RIP.

Will Prout

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
It is with great sadness to inform the pool community that my friend Hawaiian Brian passed away this morning. He had been suffering with various medical problems the last few years and recently had turned for the worse. He died this morning in Las Vegas. Brian and I were friends and road partners since 1968. He was a great player and nice guy. He will suffer no more. God bless you Brian RIP.

Sorry for your and the pool community's loss, Jerry. Brian was a legend - I was lucky enough to make it to his poolroom many years ago and meet him. May he rest in peace.

Dave

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The very first time Keith ever went outside of California and on the road was with Hawaiian Brian. Jay is right that Brian was all business and was a businessman when it came to action.

I heard a tale about Keith McCready at Pistol Pete's in Anaheim, California. He was engaged in a battle for a sand bag and a half, 7-ahead 9-ball. All of a sudden, 15 bikers stormed the place, and they were mad at some regulars in there. These regulars were fondly known to the locals as the "Karate Guys."

All hell broke loose, bottles flying, tables getting flipped, and people running for cover. There were only FOUR Karate Guys, but they beat the crap out of the biker gang of 15.

Keith hid under the table like a scared rabbit. After the dust settled, their game resumed, business as usual. Another day in paradise! One of the four Karate Guys was Hawaiian Brian.

He is truly a legend, one of pool's unsung heros. Lots of memories. May he rest in eternal peace.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yesterday was his 77 birthday.

Thanks HawaiianEye I was just wondering how old he was. Thought some more about all this and something needed mentioning,,here was a great player that traveled the roads and played strong and came away with the cash and with business success. Not very many great top players ever did that.

PoolRookie

Minnesota
Silver Member
RIP Brian. John Hager Jr. used to tell stories of playing Brian last pocket 8ball. They used to play in Vegas during APA week. $100 a game I think Hager got some kind of spot and always said it was tough action and often lost. Anyway wish I got to meet him. The pool legends and road players is what made pool interesting to me from when I started 1986-2003 when I quit. Now I go in poolrooms and try to make a comeback the same characters that made pool great to me are no longer around. I quit after a day or so. Pool is boring without these guys.

mamono

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

That sure looks like his original TAD.. man could Brian play some One Pocket !

Yes, it was! Made sometime around 1971-1972, special ordered with extra long butt cap and extra long shafts. It gave an extended cue advantage over the standard 57” cues of era. The cue was sold years ago to a collector.

I have the same model cue from the same era (early 1970’s) in my collection, but without the special features. It plays real nice.