Lucky 50 Ball Run.....

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Here is a 50 ball run that I got lucky on with the 46th ball. The only thing that I can say about that shot is: when i think of how many times the cue ball gets kicked in during games (9-ball, 8-ball, 14.1) It's about time it takes a turn for the good. http://vimeo.com/30605414

PS: Special appearance by Sophie the Wonder Dog. (Roxie's sister).

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
I'm just starting to take an interest in 14.1. I enjoy watching you shoot. I am curious to know the cue you were shooting with in this video...nice sheepish laugh after the double kiss into the corner pocket. ;)

Thanks for posting the vids!

Jason

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
Here is a 50 ball run that I got lucky on with the 46th ball. The only thing that I can say about that shot is: when i think of how many times the cue ball gets kicked in during games (9-ball, 8-ball, 14.1) It's about time it takes a turn for the good. http://vimeo.com/30605414

Thanks for posting. That was a nice run.

I don't understand the shot on what looks like the 10 ball at 5:11 in the video. Why draw the ball all the way back up the table? From your "come on" comment I can tell that's not what you wanted. Were you wanting to just draw back to center table for the 8?

Thanks,

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Cue

I'm just starting to take an interest in 14.1. I enjoy watching you shoot. I am curious to know the cue you were shooting with in this video...nice sheepish laugh after the double kiss into the corner pocket. ;)

Thanks for posting the vids!

Jason

Jason: thanks for the comment. There are a few other videos that I have posted, plus two instructional ones that might help you out being that you are just getting into 14.1
My playing cue is an oldie but goodie. It is a Pete Margo PM-11 Palmer.
Really nice cue with that old style look of cue making.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious: At about 12:10 you cut the 5 into the corner. What was your plan for the cue ball on that shot, if you can remember?

Thanks for posting, as always. Cute doggie.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Yes

Thanks for posting. That was a nice run.

I don't understand the shot on what looks like the 10 ball at 5:11 in the video. Why draw the ball all the way back up the table? From your "come on" comment I can tell that's not what you wanted. Were you wanting to just draw back to center table for the 8?

Thanks,

I wanted to draw the cue ball two rails to have a straight shot on that key ball. I drew it pretty weak, which caused me to come with a good hard shot.
Also, before that draw shot. I was not happy with my position. I was very straight on that shot. I wanted an angle but got straight as can be. Could not get good position on the key ball from there. which force me to take that draw shot.

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
5 ball

Just curious: At about 12:10 you cut the 5 into the corner. What was your plan for the cue ball on that shot, if you can remember?

Thanks for posting, as always. Cute doggie.

Dan: At that point I had made up my mind that I was stopping when I got to 50 b/c of the table playing slowly. I need a ball polisher. That last rack would not open up. I had just tied up two balls on the bottom rail which I wanted to shoot next. It was all upsetting me. The 5 ball was all I had and it was a shot that was hard to do anything else with but come off of that bottom rail. I was trying to just go into those other balls attempting just to move them around a little to work on an angle to break up those two balls on the bottom rail.
That last rack was a mess. I did come back to the table about an hour later and ran it out. But.... I set up a poor break shot, made the shot but missed the rack completely with the cue ball.

BigAL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
love the carom shot @ 7:54...something that comes in handy..and its surprising how often caroms like that come up in straight pool...especially when you leave yourself with no safety valve after going into a cluster...definitely a shot worth practicing..was the cueball frozen up against that ball when you jacked up to shoot the shot?

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Carom

love the carom shot @ 7:54...something that comes in handy..and its surprising how often caroms like that come up in straight pool...especially when you leave yourself with no safety valve after going into a cluster...definitely a shot worth practicing..was the cueball frozen up against that ball when you jacked up to shoot the shot?

The 14.1 Forum has been a little slow lately. It goes in cycles like that. I run 50+ balls two or three times per day but this 50 had a little bit of everything incluing that "luck shot". I felt it would be interesting for everyone to watch & comment on. That is why I posted it.
Yes, the cue ball was frozen to that ball. 14.1 has all types of shots (carom, combo's, banks etc) that players can relate to other games. That is one of many reasons why 14.1 is such a great game.
Yes, going into the back of that rack without an ins. ball (safety value) was stupid. I just about called myself stupid on the video stating that I knew better. The balls did not want to open and knew it. I went into the rack anyway from the back. It was a mistake. Sometimes, I take chances on shots and it leads to ending a good run.

PS: I just ran 52 and got stuck in the rack cluster to end the run. I took a corner shot coming off the bottom rail coming into the stack from behind......
It's time to get the hand polish out.

Last edited:

JAMSGOLF

Golf & Pool-I'm addicted!
Silver Member
Jason: thanks for the comment. There are a few other videos that I have posted, plus two instructional ones that might help you out being that you are just getting into 14.1
My playing cue is an oldie but goodie. It is a Pete Margo PM-11 Palmer.
Really nice cue with that old style look of cue making.

Yes, it definitely had/has the "old-school" look, that's why I was curious. I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes negative comments to himself while playing pool by himself (I caught the muttering after you got stuck in the cluster).

Thanks again for posting the vids. I am going to watch the instructional vids this week.

How do you play the opening break when you're playing by yourself? I'm assuming you don't try a "safe" break...or maybe you do... (Not how should "I" break, I'm asking how "you" specifically start your 14.1 game.)

Jason

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Question

Yes, it definitely had/has the "old-school" look, that's why I was curious. I'm glad I'm not the only one who makes negative comments to himself while playing pool by himself (I caught the muttering after you got stuck in the cluster).

Thanks again for posting the vids. I am going to watch the instructional vids this week.

How do you play the opening break when you're playing by yourself? I'm assuming you don't try a "safe" break...or maybe you do... (Not how should "I" break, I'm asking how "you" specifically start your 14.1 game.)

Jason

Jason: good question. I always start out with the standard break shot going into either side of the rack. Then I work from there. It is good to try different break angles from time to time (side pocket, behind the rack etc) just to get use to shooting those breaks and to see how the balls react on those type of angles. Also, very important to practice your opening break shot safety. The safety aspect of the game is just as important as pocketing.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was trying to just go into those other balls attempting just to move them around a little to work on an angle to break up those two balls on the bottom rail.

I know whenever I play the percentages and just try to scatter some balls and see what I come up with, I'm opening myself up to getting snookered and left with no good shot. I can't stand ending a run because I figured on getting "something" rather than making the cue ball go somewhere specific. It just looked to me that on this particular shot, and with a fraction of english one way or the other, you might have been able to bump a ball in that group with a little more purpose than playing the percentages. Of course on a difficult shot you don't want to mess around too much, you just need to cinch it.

Thanks again for the video.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member

I feel like the Stever. :D

"I can't wait to watch this!"

Actually, I downloaded and added it to itunes and thought I put it on my ipad for viewing on the way in this a.m. when lo and behold. Nada.

ok, I got it on the ipad now. Off to Red Shoes for a league match with none other than Ed Latimer again.

So I will take a gander on the train ride in tomorrow.

Nice music. Classic Cream playing the blues.

Rack 1 had a very traditional end pattern which everyone should be able to recognize. Nice execution throughout.

Rack 2 You went into the bottom of the rack a little later and could have been left with nothing had you not had the 6 in the side. I think when you need to go into the bottom like that and have no insurance or no way to get away, you just have to hit them hard and try to power through. That 14 on the rail was in the way for a while. After it was cleared, you still had the other rail ball and the other near the break ball. It looked like you took the hard way, saving the rail ball for the key ball and having to shoot it from way up in the kitchen and flirt with the side pocket but all's well that ends well.

Rack 3-Nice carom and again a good end pattern.

Rack 4 flat break, good spread, Nice 9. Stopped at 50. You know I would have kept shooting, but since you rain 50s, not necessary for you.

I am reminded of Rempe's drill when I see you working around the rack. Stunning forward an inch, drawing back a few inches, clearing balls without touching rails. Then when you get the area cleared, time to execute your end pattern. You certainly do make it look easy.

Last edited:

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Thumbs Up

I feel like the Stever. :D

"I can't wait to watch this!"

Actually, I downloaded and added it to itunes and thought I put it on my ipad for viewing on the way in this a.m. when lo and behold. Nada.

ok, I got it on the ipad now. Off to Red Shoes for a league match with none other than Ed Latimer again.

So I will take a gander on the train ride in tomorrow.

Nice music. Classic Cream playing the blues.

Rack 1 had a very traditional end pattern which everyone should be able to recognize. Nice execution throughout.

Rack 2 You went into the bottom of the rack a little later and could have been left with nothing had you not had the 6 in the side. I think when you need to go into the bottom like that and have no insurance or no way to get away, you just have to hit them hard and try to power through. That 14 on the rail was in the way for a while. After it was cleared, you still had the other rail ball and the other near the break ball. It looked like you took the hard way, saving the rail ball for the key ball and having to shoot it from way up in the kitchen and flirt with the side pocket but all's well that ends well.

Rack 3-Nice carom and again a good end pattern.

Rack 4 flat break, good spread, Nice 9. Stopped at 50. You know I would have kept shooting, but since you rain 50s, not necessary for you.

I am reminded of Rempe's drill when I see you working around the rack. Stunning forward an inch, drawing back a few inches, clearing balls without touching rails. Then when you get the area cleared, time to execute your end pattern. You certainly do make it look easy.

Thanks Dennis for the comments. I was not playing well during this 50 and my position showed it. Not like the 99 I ran on the other video. I was on threw out that run.
Very good advise of more power when coming off that bottom rail into the back of the rack. Thanks. AND..... to be mention with Rempe..... that's a honor. Thank You.
Glad to see people writing comments again on all the Threads. It has come around again like it always does. (Still no comment from Stevie)???

stevekur1

The "COMMISH"
Silver Member
Sorry guys, I haven't gotten a chance to watch yours or Dennis's latest videos... My sister was in town over the well end, so I devoted my time to her. Plus I am kind of under the weather, hopefully tonight I will check them out and surely comment after !!!

Steve

Last edited: