*VIDEO* 2011 CSI 14.1 Hi-Run Challenge-Danny Harriman (199 Run)

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Hi guys/gals!

I am going to be uploading quite a few videos to the CSI YouTube site over the next few weeks/months. So make sure when you go there, you subscribe to the channel or at least bookmark/favorite it to make it easy to go to it again:smile: If you subscribe you can get notified as new videos are uploaded.

Today, in light of all the Danny H and John S and goat discussions lately, we have a video from the 35th Annual BCAPL National Championships held in Las Vegas last year. (this years is coming up quick, check out the details !) This is from the 14.1 (straight pool) event that was held during the Nationals. There were prizes given for the Hi-Run, the combined totals of 4 tries at runs, and then a tournament at the end. All in all, a great time held by all!

Danny won the Hi-Run portion of the event and also the combined score from 4 tries too. He can certainly play that straight pool:smile:

His run is not captured in it's entirety (unless I find more of it), but here is video of the last 9 racks or so, along with the shot that ended his run. You will not believe what a bad roll he got on that shot. No one looking at it, would give it much thought about what ended up happening. For those of you watching to the end, I also included a slo-mo replay of the shot that ended his run.:smile:

So check it out, see Danny run 150 or so balls. Look for much more video content to be uploaded to the CSI YouTube page! Subscribe/Bookmark/Favorite it!!! Over the next week or so, I will be uploading much more content from the 14.1 Hi-Run Challenge.

Watch Danny Harriman's 199 Ball Run !
Remember, this event will be held again this year, so start practicing! Mark Griffin and Bob Jewett will probably be putting in the 20k they did last year for anyone that breaks Willie Mosconi's record of 526. Mark would like to get it up to about 100k for anyone that can break it !! For more information, go to www.playcsipool.com or call the CSI Offices at 702-719-7665

Here is a thread from this event, along with the results.

Dannysrun.jpg
Here is the final scoop on the event.

313 - Harriman (including a 199 run) ($200 Hi- Run prize)
281 - Schmidt (run of 121)
261 - Immonen (run of 113)
233 - Deuel
194 - Appleton
160 - Silva
159 - Robles
151 - Eberle

Harriman defeated Eberle 100-56
Immonen defeated Silva 100-14
Robles defeated Schmidt 100-56
Appleton won by forfeit (Deuel was still in 10 Ball finals).

Immonen defeated Harriman 100 to 4 (with a 91 and out)
Robles defeated Appleton 100-36
Immonen defeated Robles 150 to 26 (with a 109 run)

Immonen = $800
Robles = $500
Harriman & Appleton $250 each
Eberle, Silva, Schmidt, Deuel = $100 each

Men's Amateur:
Mark Dimick - 120 ($720)
Craig Powers - 112 ($540)
Mike MIller - 105 ($360)
Lee Brett - 91 ($180)

Men's Senior:
Peter Lhotka - 56 ($200)
Mike Zygmunt - 54 ($150)
Lyn Weschler - 46 ($100)
Robert Hovick - 42 ( $50)

Women:
Samm Vidal - 48 ($200)
Li Jia - 41 ($125)
Melinda Huang - 41 ($125)
Tamiko Heidrich - 35 ( $50)

All in all - a VERY BIG HIT!! $5,200 in payouts.
A BIG thanks to Richard Burns for helping out with a $1,000 donation.

Last edited:

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Answering the "bubble quote" from the picture

[...]
"The shot that ended his 199 ball run. Can you guess what happened? Hint: he did NOT miss the ball. Go to CSI's YouTube page to watch it!"
[...]

Greg:

That is probably one of the most unfortunate things to happen to that run. I do, however, have to question why Danny hit that shot so hard? It's not like the balls shown needed any further "busting up," so I'm wondering if it was just one of those "shooting on automatic" things, without paying attention to speed. We all do that on occasion.

But what a fantastic and meticulously picked apart series of racks to form that run! Mucho accolades to Danny!

-Sean

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Greg:

That is probably one of the most unfortunate things to happen to that run. I do, however, have to question why Danny hit that shot so hard? It's not like the balls shown needed any further "busting up," so I'm wondering if it was just one of those "shooting on automatic" things, without paying attention to speed. We all do that on occasion.

But what a fantastic and meticulously picked apart series of racks to form that run! Mucho accolades to Danny!

-Sean

Agree. I wouldn't have thought of that scratch possibility if I'd been shooting. Guess if a player like Danny Barouty had shot this, the cue ball would never reach that corner pocket regardless of whatever else is happening. As freaky a scratch as this may be, the cue ball would have ended up way upstream. Won't say this couldn't have happened to me, though. Maybe Danny shot it at that "comfortable" speed that virtually assures avoiding the 3 because the cue ball hooks a little coming off the end rail? At least that would be why I might over-amp on that type of shot, because there's really no reason: no cluster of any mass worth mentioning the cue ball was meant to hit there; no use hooking around the 3 to bump the 4 and push that toward the 1 and 7. Lightly bumping the 5 would have sufficed, no need to move that into a potential break shot position as there would be the 12 on the same side which a right-hander isn't going to favour to begin with. And hooking around the 3 into the 5 in such a way as to split the balls and move the 9 away from the 1 is unnecessary, especially as one might be left with nothing but two combos to choose from (9-13 and 6-12, possibly a bank on the 2 and/or a thin backwards cut on the 5). Guess Danny was convinced he'd hit the 5 right on the nose - nothing per se wrong with that… Whatever, all great Straight Pool runs end one way or another, and this was one great run, with a "memorable" ending (and at 199, too)!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Last edited:

3andstop

Focus
Silver Member
Thanks for posting. Danny, amazing consistency and mapping and pocketing.

The real unfortunate shot was that last breakshot. Putting outside english on that ball and popping it with such a perfect stroke sent that CB for a ride. So hard to rein in the temptation to hit that one like he did. Ya just want that CB to grab those end balls and turn into them and eat, and the outside lets you hit that OB a touch fatter.

Boy that was great shooting! :thumbup:

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Hi guys/gals!

I am going to be uploading quite a few videos to the CSI YouTube site over the next few weeks/months. So make sure when you go there, you subscribe to the channel or at least bookmark/favorite it to make it easy to go to it again:smile: If you subscribe you can get notified as new videos are uploaded.

Today, in light of all the Danny H and John S and goat discussions lately, we have a video from the 35th Annual BCAPL National Championships held in Las Vegas last year. (this years is coming up quick, check out the details !) This is from the 14.1 (straight pool) event that was held during the Nationals. There were prizes given for the Hi-Run, the combined totals of 4 tries at runs, and then a tournament at the end. All in all, a great time held by all!

Danny won the Hi-Run portion of the event and also the combined score from 4 tries too. He can certainly play that straight pool:smile:

His run is not captured in it's entirety (unless I find more of it), but here is video of the last 9 racks or so, along with the shot that ended his run. You will not believe what a bad roll he got on that shot. No one looking at it, would give it much thought about what ended up happening. For those of you watching to the end, I also included a slo-mo replay of the shot that ended his run.:smile:

So check it out, see Danny run 150 or so balls. Look for much more video content to be uploaded to the CSI YouTube page! Subscribe/Bookmark/Favorite it!!! Over the next week or so, I will be uploading much more content from the 14.1 Hi-Run Challenge.

Watch Danny Harriman's 199 Ball Run !
Remember, this event will be held again this year, so start practicing! Mark Griffin and Bob Jewett will probably be putting in the 20k they did last year for anyone that breaks Willie Mosconi's record of 526. Mark would like to get it up to about 100k for anyone that can break it !! For more information, go to www.playcsipool.com or call the CSI Offices at 702-719-7665

Here is a thread from this event, along with the results.

View attachment 220161
Here is the final scoop on the event.

313 - Harriman (including a 199 run) ($200 Hi- Run prize)
281 - Schmidt (run of 121)
261 - Immonen (run of 113)
233 - Deuel
194 - Appleton
160 - Silva
159 - Robles
151 - Eberle

Harriman defeated Eberle 100-56
Immonen defeated Silva 100-14
Robles defeated Schmidt 100-56
Appleton won by forfeit (Deuel was still in 10 Ball finals).

Immonen defeated Harriman 100 to 4 (with a 91 and out)
Robles defeated Appleton 100-36
Immonen defeated Robles 150 to 26 (with a 109 run)

Immonen = $800
Robles = $500
Harriman & Appleton $250 each
Eberle, Silva, Schmidt, Deuel = $100 each

Men's Amateur:
Mark Dimick - 120 ($720)
Craig Powers - 112 ($540)
Mike MIller - 105 ($360)
Lee Brett - 91 ($180)

Men's Senior:
Peter Lhotka - 56 ($200)
Mike Zygmunt - 54 ($150)
Lyn Weschler - 46 ($100)
Robert Hovick - 42 ( $50)

Women:
Samm Vidal - 48 ($200)
Li Jia - 41 ($125)
Melinda Huang - 41 ($125)
Tamiko Heidrich - 35 ( $50)

All in all - a VERY BIG HIT!! $5,200 in payouts.
A BIG thanks to Richard Burns for helping out with a $1,000 donation.

Congratulations on your new gig. Are any of the other high runs for this event recorded? Were any of the matches recorded? Will they be available for upload?

Did you do the filming and conversion for last years event? Will you be doing the filming for this years event and if so, what do you have planned?

Thanks again for adding to the public record of straight pool runs. :thumbup:

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Congratulations on your new gig. Are any of the other high runs for this event recorded? Were any of the matches recorded? Will they be available for upload?

Did you do the filming and conversion for last years event? Will you be doing the filming for this years event and if so, what do you have planned?

Thanks again for adding to the public record of straight pool runs. :thumbup:

Actually my new gig didn't end up working out, as I had some family issues come up and had to move back home. I will continue to do some other projects for CSI though, this being one of them.

I am currently uploading Mika's run and hopefully can find John Schmidt's run of 121. I came across another attempt with John, but that tape he didn't fare too well. Ironically, given all the talk of Danny and John, after John had poor showing for those 4 attempts, Danny is the one that came to the table right after John and it was his first attempt that he ran the 199. I have a tape labeled Mika 122, but he had some 4 racks or so runs, then near the end of the tape, he's on rack 5 and the tape ends. f Which is confusing, as Marks results has Mika with a high of 113 and John with a 121.

I will also be uploading the Semi's with Danny/Mika and Darren/Tony and then the Finals with Mika/Tony. I also have a Mika/Miguel Silva match. I will then upload some smaller runs with Corey D, Max E. and maybe something with Brandon S.

I did not do the filming of the 2011 event. Andy Chen was involved with that one. I am doing the conversion for the 2011 event, as is evident with me uploading this stuff as we speak:smile: As far as this years, I know Mark would want to film it again, not sure who would be doing it though.

Hope that helps!

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member
Actually my new gig didn't end up working out, as I had some family issues come up and had to move back home. I will continue to do some other projects for CSI though, this being one of them.

I am currently uploading Mika's run and hopefully can find John Schmidt's run of 121. I came across another attempt with John, but that tape he didn't fare too well. Ironically, given all the talk of Danny and John, after John had poor showing for those 4 attempts, Danny is the one that came to the table right after John and it was his first attempt that he ran the 199. I have a tape labeled Mika 122, but he had some 4 racks or so runs, then near the end of the tape, he's on rack 5 and the tape ends. f Which is confusing, as Marks results has Mika with a high of 113 and John with a 121.

I will also be uploading the Semi's with Danny/Mika and Darren/Tony and then the Finals with Mika/Tony. I also have a Mika/Miguel Silva match. I will then upload some smaller runs with Corey D, Max E. and maybe something with Brandon S.

I did not do the filming of the 2011 event. Andy Chen was involved with that one. I am doing the conversion for the 2011 event, as is evident with me uploading this stuff as we speak:smile: As far as this years, I know Mark would want to film it again, not sure who would be doing it though.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much for uploading these tapes, enjoying them! :thumbup:

„J'ai gâché vingt ans de mes plus belles années au billard. Si c'était à refaire, je recommencerais.“ – Roger Conti

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I do, however, have to question why Danny hit that shot so hard? It's not like the balls shown needed any further "busting up," so I'm wondering if it was just one of those "shooting on automatic" things, without paying attention to speed. ...
It looked to me like there were about 6 balls that would have been difficult to clear without some movement. I think the old-time players would have played at least three more balls before moving anything in that position, but a high-run contest might need a different strategy. If you are willing to play the 7 to the far corner, it looks like the rack would have been unlocked completely. That would have required getting nearly perfect on the 7 to keep control.

Frequently it is possible to play a mostly-broken rack like Danny faced at the end without moving any ball if you can get very good position on each shot. It was a matter of pride among the old-timers (those who had played against Mosconi and maybe Greenleaf) to get through such racks without moving balls except maybe to bump a break ball into position. I think I see a good way to get onto the 7 fairly quickly.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
Grazing the three ball

When I pocketed the eleven ball I was trying to avoid hitting the three (hence the extra speed in the shot.) I think maybe I was getting a little ahead of myself and in looking back on it I could have played a little more surgery as my construction approach resulted in a creepy bad roll - wow. The rack before last was also a sign that I might have been getting tired as I should have played that differently also. Just to let yall know the cue ball was actually somewhat airborn when it contacted the three, it actually just grazed a small piece of the top side of the three ball - unfortunately there was a little diepp that effected the beginning of the recording which is a shame. But I am happy with the run even though I was playing a little slow due to lack of practice from my end. Who's ever idea it was to turn the camera on after the technical difficulty - thanks. I was happy with the run after such little preparation and yes I still believe that part of the tape was lost due to foul play and or a certain female negative journalist. Thanks to Mark Griffin for the event and also to Kaleb for keeping score, sorry but I don't think I will be there this year.

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
When I pocketed the eleven ball I was trying to avoid hitting the three (hence the extra speed in the shot.) I think maybe I was getting a little ahead of myself and in looking back on it I could have played a little more surgery as my construction approach resulted in a creepy bad roll - wow. The rack before last was also a sign that I might have been getting tired as I should have played that differently also. Just to let yall know the cue ball was actually somewhat airborn when it contacted the three, it actually just grazed a small piece of the top side of the three ball - unfortunately there was a little diepp that effected the beginning of the recording which is a shame. But I am happy with the run even though I was playing a little slow due to lack of practice from my end. Who's ever idea it was to turn the camera on after the technical difficulty - thanks. I was happy with the run after such little preparation and yes I still believe that part of the tape was lost due to foul play and or a certain female negative journalist. Thanks to Mark Griffin for the event and also to Kaleb for keeping score, sorry but I don't think I will be there this year.
Danny, I think accidents happen to be honest. I personally was involved with a big match where it was being recorded, an electric cord must have gotten tripped over and unplugged the power to the camera. When the battery ran out then the camera died, about 5-10 minutes passed by before we realized it and plugged it back in but it still screwed things up and it sucked but its life and things happen. Another time I thought I hit the record button and it was recording but I did not, another time the space on the tape was not enough and I ran out, I could go on and on. Hopefully one of these days you can run 500 on video. :smile:

acousticsguru

player/instructor
Silver Member

All great runs end one way or another. Thoroughly enjoyed watching yours! Congrats! :thumbup:

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
Danny Harriman said:
I still believe that part of the tape was lost due to foul play and or a certain female negative journalist. Thanks to Mark Griffin for the event and also to Kaleb for keeping score

I heard some talk about some conspiracy but didn't retain too much from it. What I do know is I believe that I have all of your run except about a 10 min gap. I've located the 4 or so racks before what I already posted which I will re-edit and repost.

Sent from my mobile so this will be short and sweet

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
I hope

I heard some talk about some conspiracy but didn't retain too much from it. What I do know is I believe that I have all of your run except about a 10 min gap. I've located the 4 or so racks before what I already posted which I will re-edit and repost.

I will bet real high that you do not have the first part of the run on tape, but that does make it sound nice and all. If you do then it would be from a different camera as Andy slammed the laptop down and said that he was having camera difficulty and that he would not be filming my run or keeping score as he was going to lunch (even though he looked like vomiting.) What is the ace kicker in my view is how Andy Chen's demeanor totally changed after Sammy Diepp had finished with him, I could be mistaken but they did not know I was listening with my eyes. So unless he has a severe case of bi-polarism (which I doubt) then Sammy did report her negativity that pertained to me. I would bet $1000.00 against a dollar that I am right on this one - maybe Sammy would like to explain as I thought she said lets bury the hatchet. Either way I have never seen such a totall transformation in a person as I did in Andy Chen after Sammy had enlightened him with her 'wordly' knowledge, there are a few people within the billiard industry that agree with me concerning this matter also and they told me that I was probably right. I don't think Sammy will want to comment on this. So try and candy cali coat it all u wish or just sweep it under the rug but he did shut the laptop in an abrupt manner right after talking to Diepp, if the camera was not broke then the laptop could have been after he slammed it down sayin "we won't be filming YOUR run" I asked him why and he said they were having computer difficulty while giving me a look that was as cold as ice. Just like you say Sammy I am just reporting the news, not looking for attention as I know there is no solid financial future in pool - at least not immediately - but I'm optimistic that it will change, maybe not in my lifetime.

Last edited:

UPlayLucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Danny, nice shooting. It was a great run to watch. Based on your comments it seems you have a very good memory. You remember the finest details of past events. Do you feel this is an asset and has helped you excel in pool?

"CaliRed".

High Def Videos!!!
Silver Member
I will bet real high that you do not have the first part of the run on tape, but that does make it sound nice and all. If you do then it would be from a different camera.

/snip/

So try and candy cali coat it all u wish or just sweep it under the rug

Not sure why the hostility towards me with the little jab about "Cali coating" it, as to infer I'm in cahoots with someone.

I'm simply posting some videos. I mentioned that I heard a story about you and Samm and Andy but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. Nowhere did I say anything negative about you.

I wasn't at the event. I'm also the guy that spent hours and hours getting this high run off a tape and editing it and uploading it and will spend hours more putting the other racks I found at the beginning together with what I already posted, so as to have as much of your run as possible. It appears there is only a small amount missing so someone taped it one way or another. What happened I have no clue, since I wasn't there.

But your welcome.

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Not sure why the hostility towards me with the little jab about "Cali coating" it, as to infer I'm in cahoots with someone.

I'm simply posting some videos. I mentioned that I heard a story about you and Samm and Andy but I didn't pay a whole lot of attention to it. Nowhere did I say anything negative about you.

I wasn't at the event. I'm also the guy that spent hours and hours getting this high run off a tape and editing it and uploading it and will spend hours more putting the other racks I found at the beginning together with what I already posted, so as to have as much of your run as possible. It appears there is only a small amount missing so someone taped it one way or another. What happened I have no clue, since I wasn't there.

But your welcome.

Thanks Calired. I, for one, appreciate the work you have put into this. :thumbup:

As much as I like Danny's game, methinks he sees conspiracies everywhere.

:cool:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member

I meant no disrespect towards you, it's just I am having trouble understanding you, did you mean you had the first part of the run? The recording picks up in rack six I believe, which would mean that more than 10 minutes of the run is lost more like the first 20 minutes at least. Call it what you like but I still don't understand what your saying in that you have "located the 4 or so racks before." If you do have the run in it's entirety or if that is what you were referring to then please pm me as I would love it if I were wrong. Either way I don't think everything is a conspiracy but some people think it's fine to play 14.1 without a triangle drawn for the rack - I am not one of those people. I am very aware of how people are capable of behaiving when there afraid or don't understand another person.

I do appreciate anyone who does their part to help promote the game in a positive mannner and I don't understand much about editing or re-editing. But I know alot about being aware of my surroundings and negative vibes - possibly due to hate or jealousy from another person who insist on trying to have a little impact. I realize this just makes me look like an invicile starved for attention - but if you meant that you have the whole run and nothing but the whole run then I will be pleasently surprised. I would add that when I first met Andy he was very excited about me competing in the 14.1 challenge as he was familiar with some of my accomplishments in the game. But as Dipp was talking to him he would look in my direction and bow his head, it was after she left that I was ready to start my run. Andy then slammed down the laptop and said he would not be recording my run, he was no longer the jovial and the smile was gone - very cold and bitter to be quite honest. Please remember that I have never considerd myself to be a know it all or super smart - but I am as Paul Newman would say "a student of human moves."

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
memory vs being aware

Danny, nice shooting. It was a great run to watch. Based on your comments it seems you have a very good memory. You remember the finest details of past events. Do you feel this is an asset and has helped you excel in pool?

I have a decent memory but my strong suit is having a heightened sense of awareness, the good Lord gave me an almost inate ability to analyize and understand the geometry and physics of pocket billiards plus I had some great instructors also. It's a blessing for me in the Pocket billiards, not much however when dealing with people particularly when these people are struggling with fear and or hate. This does not mean that I think all people are bad, but there is an element of fear that some people let consume them - these people have not learned to quiten their minds and as a result become nervous and afraid. To make a great pool player u have to learn to center yourself and then quite your mind.

Last edited: