Not the USUAL tip question

MarkDT

Bubbalicious
Silver Member
I have a question for the experts here on AZB. I just received a new Lambros cue for Christmas. (How on earth did I make the Good List)? Both shafts are heavy 4.15 and 4.23 and built with a VERY STIFF taper. Per my request. My question is, should I consider a softer tip to go with the stiffer shaft taper or should I continue to play with the Medium Searing Precision Tip that I have been using lately? Can you all please explain in Layman Terminology why a softer tip or a harder tip is a better option for a heavy, stiff type of shaft. Thank you to EVERYBODY for their feedback in advance.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
"not the usual tip question"

You just asked what the best tip is.

Prepare for 500 different answers. Just play with what's on there for now. Adjust accordingly. That's the only way to know.

dr9ball

"Lock Doctor"
Silver Member
As harsh as this sounds, If you put the same energy into your practice as you do worrying about your equipment you would play much better. The advice ideologist gave is sound. Play with whats on it or play with what you are used to now. Adjust from there. Good luck and enjoy your new cue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Since you have two shafts why not experiment with various tips. No one here can tell you how they feel to you.

buckets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Play with whatever tip you like.

It literally doesn't matter what kind as long as it can hold chalk and be shaped into a dome

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have never found my preferences for tip, ferrule, or shaft stiffness to be affected by any other aspect of the cue’s construction. So, I agree with ideologist that you have asked the usual tip question, “which tip is best?”

Congratulations on the new cue. You have quite a collection that leaves me a bit envious. Have fun with the Lambros.

alphadog

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So along the same lines...

Snooker players appear to use very soft tips( from camera close ups) is that to minimize deflection from the heavy brass ferrule?

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
:yes:

Whatever tip came on the shafts, that's what you should use until they wear out.

:clapping:

or1pkt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So...You know how you wanted the cue built, "a VERY STIFF taper. Per my request" but you don't know what kind of tip you want? I would think you would have known what tip you wanted as most of us that have cues built now that.

M.G.

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did play with a very stiff shaft once, having a rather hardened Tiger Everest.
I was like shooting with a cement pole.
Action feel etc. was all fine, each hit was just like a shock through my hand.

You'll feel it, if you need a soft(er) tip to balance something out. If all is fine for our feeling just stick to you tip choice.

Personally I do liker a softer tip with a little stiffer shaft (Cuetec R360 is quite good really).

Cheers,
M

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I did play with a very stiff shaft once, having a rather hardened Tiger Everest.
I was like shooting with a cement pole.
Action feel etc. was all fine, each hit was just like a shock through my hand.

You'll feel it, if you need a soft(er) tip to balance something out. If all is fine for our feeling just stick to you tip choice.

Personally I do liker a softer tip with a little stiffer shaft (Cuetec R360 is quite good really).

Cheers,
M
That's what is crazy about SVB's set-up. At Derby one year he was using his R360(looked about 12mm) with a hard Kamui brown. The sound it made was crazy. You could tell it was hard-as-hell but boy could he use it.

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Since you're using Dennis' tips, you may consider his approach to choosing hardness. It was something along the lines of, if you never have to reshape it, it's too hard. If you have to reshape it more than once or twice, it's too soft.

Basically if you hit the ball hard a lot, you'll need a firm tip. If you hit soft most often, then a hard tip won't do you any favors. You want the tip to match your play style/stroke.

I tried the Precision tips also. I found them to lack feel and Sound. So I am not particularly a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
I have a question for the experts here on AZB. I just received a new Lambros cue for Christmas. (How on earth did I make the Good List)? Both shafts are heavy 4.15 and 4.23 and built with a VERY STIFF taper. Per my request. My question is, should I consider a softer tip to go with the stiffer shaft taper or should I continue to play with the Medium Searing Precision Tip that I have been using lately? Can you all please explain in Layman Terminology why a softer tip or a harder tip is a better option for a heavy, stiff type of shaft. Thank you to EVERYBODY for their feedback in advance.

It really does not matter what tip you use. You will become accustomed to it. What really matters is the straightness of your cue delivery. For what it is worth, I like Triangle tips.