You know you have been playing awhile

larry732

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When someone asked me how long have you been playing pool. and I answer, 78 years. I started as a rack boy when I was 13 years old and now I am 91. Last Saturday I was in a tournament to help a very sick player and I played 10 hours and came in third. Hows that for an old kocker. I was also inducted into the New England Billiard hall of fame in 2016. Look me up on Google, New York Larry Gendler.

Last edited:

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
When someone asked me how long have you been playing pool. and I answer, 78 years. I started as a rack boy when I was 13 years old and now I am 91. Last Saturday I was in a tournament to help a very sick player and I played 10 hours and came in third. Hows that for an old kocker. I was also inducted into the New England Billiard hall of fame in 2016. Look me up on Google, New York Larry Gendler.

If this thread was a contest, you would be the winner.
...Kickin’n Chicken is one of your biggest fans....
...but many of us aren’t far behind.

I hope you win your next tournament, Mr Gendler....and please report it on AZ.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Damn. Gifted as a pool player, and gifted genetically. Would love to see you play!

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you know you have been playing awhile
when the first cue you bought was a 57( not 58 ) inch joss
because thats how they sold them

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What year is your Joss? I have an old Joss that is also an inch short. I always thought it was a special order for a kid or something, but this makes more sense.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What year is your Joss? I have an old Joss that is also an inch short. I always thought it was a special order for a kid or something, but this makes more sense.

so not to derail the thread check your pm .(i am writing to you now )

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I have a ‘68 Joss that was 58 inches.
...it became 58 inches when I had the ivory ferrule cut off.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member

Z - 57' was the standard until, I believe, the late 70s, early 80s. My 73 Meucci is 57.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bbb, Howdy;

Reckon Bill Stroud took that with him when he moved West. I've
got a J sideways W that measures in at 28.5" butt & shaft . Any
idea which year they started with the 29"ers ?
Sorry about the hijack.

hank

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
If this thread was a contest, you would be the winner.
...Kickin’n Chicken is one of your biggest fans....
...but many of us aren’t far behind.

I hope you win your next tournament, Mr Gendler....and please report it on AZ.

Yes, I sure am a big fan of Larry. :thumbup: He and I spar on the table almost every Saturday and it's always a pleasure.

I truly felt bad that we had to meet in the semi-finals last Sat but that's how the brackets went.

Larry at 91 still has plenty of game. And added to that he has the most beautiful stroke in the joint, by far. I've seen players just standing around watching him shoot and discussing the beauty of it.

One time Larry was hitting some balls by himself and this short guy on the rail says "You have a beautiful stroke." Larry responds; "Thank you; do you play?"

It was Jose Parica... :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

as Anito Kid always says: "And I kid you not!"

best,
brian kc

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Yes, I sure am a big fan of Larry. :thumbup: He and I spar on the table almost every Saturday and it's always a pleasure.

I truly felt bad that we had to meet in the semi-finals last Sat but that's how the brackets went.

Larry at 91 still has plenty of game. And added to that he has the most beautiful stroke in the joint, by far. I've seen players just standing around watching him shoot and discussing the beauty of it.

One time Larry was hitting some balls by himself and this short guy on the rail says "You have a beautiful stroke." Larry responds; "Thank you; do you play?"

It was Jose Parica... :rotflmao1::rotflmao1::rotflmao1:

as Anito Kid always says: "And I kid you not!"

best,
brian kc

Well????....does he play?

The last time I saw Jose, he was heading for a crap table...and I was heading for blackjack...
...I said “You know we’re toast, say goodbye to your bank roll.”
...he grinned....when Jose grins, sometimes, he looks like a pirate coming up the side of
your ship....with a knife between his teeth....

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mansfield Ohio

When I started playing it was mostly at bowling alleys,,,Park Lanes in Mansfield at over 50 Gold Crowns. 60 cents an hour, a quarter on the 5 and 50 on the nine was the norm.I remember lots of older guy playing rotation. Fun times.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bbb, Howdy;

Reckon Bill Stroud took that with him when he moved West. I've
got a J sideways W that measures in at 28.5" butt & shaft . Any
idea which year they started with the 29"ers ?
Sorry about the hijack.

hank
Around '80. Everything was 57" and all of a sudden cues were 58". I've never been told exactly why the cues grew and inch. More 9ball and less 14.1 thus more reaching? Have no clue.

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Z - 57' was the standard until, I believe, the late 70s, early 80s. My 73 Meucci is 57.

My first cues were both 57", a Palmer Original, and a rosewood Tad merry widow.
I think someone was correct about 57" being normal in the 14.1 days, shorter stroke
ala Mosconi. Now you see guys bridging very long, with 60" cues.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
....when you remember the lesson you got as a kid, from a very middle aged Grady Matthews when he was doing exhibitions.

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My first cues were both 57", a Palmer Original, and a rosewood Tad merry widow.
I think someone was correct about 57" being normal in the 14.1 days, shorter stroke
ala Mosconi. Now you see guys bridging very long, with 60" cues.

I'm told my Josh was made in 1967 and its only 57". I'm so accustomed to my 59" Mobley that I can even use it.