tools

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to replace the tips on our cues at our rec center. Our maintanence guy does it now,very poor results...just glue one on..no trimming or shaping at all.What should I buy as a minimum to get started. I will be spending my own $..do not need the hassle of begging the HOA board for a few bucks.Thanks,Chuck G

Tommy-D

World's best B player...
Silver Member
I know some might disagree with me,but you could easily spend 1000 or more and not have the right stuff to do a simple screwed-on ferrule correctly.

For example I have enough tools in my rig to fill up the trunk of my car,and have still had to turn down jobs simply because I didn't have the right stuff to do it in public. Tommy D.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which cue makers here are close to you? Put the bite on them for the full Monty.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would like to replace the tips on our cues at our rec center. Our maintanence guy does it now,very poor results...just glue one on..no trimming or shaping at all.What should I buy as a minimum to get started. I will be spending my own $..do not need the hassle of begging the HOA board for a few bucks.Thanks,Chuck G
If your doing any kind of volume, you will need a lathe, collets, some hss tools, a concave live center and some razor blades.
If the goal is to keep costs down and your not doing a huge amount of cues, a Willard tip machine is a great tool to have.

Mase

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I started out as a teenager doing tips in the local pool hall. That was 60 years ago but you can still get acceptable results with $50 worth of tools. Buy a tip top sander. Get a 6"x 6" x 1" block of hard wood. Get a razor knife, some thick elastic bands, instant glue gel, LePro or Triangle tips and some 320, 400, and 800 sandpaper.

1. If there is a tip on the cue cut it off with the razor knife.
2. Sand the ferrule flat with the tip top sander.
3. Sand the back of the tip flat. Put a thin layer of glue on the tip.
4. Place the tip on the shaft and hold it there with the elastic band.
5. After the glue has completely dried (10 min) turn the shaft upside down with the tip on the block of wood. Using the ferrule as a guide start trimming the tip even with the ferrule using the razor knife.. Continue trimming until the tip is round and close to the final shape you want.
6. Use the sandpaper to smooth the tip to the ferrule by going from coarse to fine
7. Wet the edge of the tip and then burnish it with a piece of leather or any other suitable burnishing material.

Once you have done this a few times you will be surprised at how good the tip will look. May not be professional but most people won't notice the difference.

Last edited:

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I started out as a teenager doing tips in the local pool hall. That was 60 years ago but you can still get acceptable results with $50 worth of tools. Buy a tip top sander. Get a 6"x 6" x 1" block of hard wood. Get a razor knife, some thick elastic bands, instant glue gel, LePro or Triangle tips and some 320, 400, and 800 sandpaper.

1. If there is a tip on the cue cut it off with the razor knife.
2. Sand the ferrule flat with the tip top sander.
3. Sand the back of the tip flat. Put a thin layer of glue on the tip.
4. Place the tip on the shaft and hold it there with the elastic band.
5. After the glue has completely dried (10 min) turn the shaft upside down with the tip on the block of wood. Using the ferrule as a guide start trimming the tip even with the ferrule using the razor knife.. Continue trimming until the tip is round and close to the final shape you want.
6. Use the sandpaper to smooth the tip to the ferrule by going from coarse to fine
7. Wet the edge of the tip and then burnish it with a piece of leather or any other suitable burnishing material.

Once you have done this a few times you will be surprised at how good the tip will look. May not be professional but most people won't notice the difference.

I do my own tip replacements as above, results are just fine. All it takes is a bit of practice and a bit of time.

Dave

JC

Coos Cues
I do my own tip replacements as above, results are just fine. All it takes is a bit of practice and a bit of time.

Dave

Just like that for decades except I propped the shaft under the lip of a shelf or anything you can find close to but slightly longer than shaft length and find a paper back book, or a book and a couple magazines or whatever is on hand to put under the joint end that's the right height to gently wedge it in pushing the tip on the underside of the shelf while it dries. With the right height wedge your shaft will be straight under the shelf or close to it. If you have a garage with exposed studs just nail a scrap of wood on a stud at the right height. The underside of window trim, a table, lots of things you can find that work. Get it kind of tight and slide the book toward the shelf until it's clamped just right. Can do the same with a bar cue just find a taller lip to wedge it under.

Last edited:

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for all the info..I am sure I can do this with a small investment and a little practice. Chuck G