• Screenshot_20170730-090358.jpg
    Screenshot_20170730-090358.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 696
  • Screenshot_20170730-090537.jpg
    Screenshot_20170730-090537.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 691

JC

Coos Cues
I saw this video on YouTube and figured I'd share it.

Anybody know where you can get the attachments for different size joints?

The arbor I used in that video I got from Chris Hightower. All of the one's I bought from him have 1/2" arbors so they fit in a drill.

Also they're getting hard to find but the 18 volt drills work much better than the new higher voltage ones because the batteries are heavy enough to hold the drill from tipping over with the shaft in place when you set it down. This is really handy if you're going to use a sanding sealer or something else that takes a while to dry. That Dewalt I just purchased recently for that reason/

Last edited:

JC

Coos Cues
Go to hardware store and buy rod that matches your thread OD and pitch. Insert until it bottoms out. Simple and cheap. Unless you have some sort of Quick disconnect type joint.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.38-16-stainless-steel-thread-rod-3.1000126801.html

Sounds like a good way to break your shaft to me. The threads in the shaft are not constructed to have a screw bottomed out in them and screwing in from there. This can put pressure on the wood and split it. If you do go this route put a flat washer in front of your drill chuck and leave only enough threads sticking out to engage your shaft but not bottom out so the pressure is against the flat washer surface and not the bottom of the shaft hole.

The drivers from Chris Hightower are less than 15 bucks each

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
I thread a washer and bolt behind it. Mind you you are not putting a lot of force on shaft. Or at least you shouldn't be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a rubber replacement tip for a walking crutch. put a bolt through it to put in the drill. Works great for any shaft. Someone posted it on here a few year ago. Cost about 2$

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks so much for the heads-up and finding the easy link for this- ordered and on the way.

K.

~ K.

ArizonaPete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought a rubber replacement tip for a walking crutch. put a bolt through it to put in the drill. Works great for any shaft. Someone posted it on here a few year ago. Cost about 2$

You can buy one at Walgreen's. I've used one for years.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Right tool for the job

You guys sound dangerous ............or a hazard to cue shafts .

Nothing better then the right tool for the job .and even then there are some who will still screw it up.

The right tool is a lathe , drills turn slow and you really don't need the shaft rotating to clean it ......................................

For solid maple shafts that don't have a clear coat on them, you know the old wooden ones
Lighter fluid , elbow grease and carnauba car paste wax ...........................
And don't spare the lighter fluid.

Shaft cleaning is like anything else , there is allot of ways of doing it ...

mchnhed

I Came, I Shot, I Choked
Silver Member
Lighter Fluid is Naphtha which evaporates more quickly than mineral spirits and is “drier,” that is, less oily.
Home Depot has it in pint cans.

Nothing better then the right tool for the job .and even then there are some who will still screw it up.
The right tool is a lathe , drills turn slow and you really don't need the shaft rotating to clean it ......................................

For solid maple shafts that don't have a clear coat on them, you know the old wooden ones
Lighter fluid , elbow grease and carnauba car paste wax ...........................

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member

I would agree with this, and if you want to do it by hand, elbow grease, patience, and get very comfortable with a micrometer to make sure all is good.

All the best,
WW

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
The drivers from Chris Hightower are less than 15 bucks each

JC

Yes, for the $10-$12 these drivers cost, they are well worth the price. You're never going to find a 5/16-14 or 3/8-10 all thread at Ace.

Thanks for the heads up and for the video.

Reactions: JC