You know you have been playing awhile

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When a cube of chalk cost more than your 1st cue. $25 Adam in 1975 . I bought my 1st custom cue from R Black,a merry widow for $250 in 83,won't hardly get a magical ld shaft today. I had all my cues out one day and realised I had 25 grand in cues and was living in a 40 g house,this was in the early nineties.I was single so evidently my priorities were not the same as they are now. I changed my lifestyle,live in a $250000 house with a wonderful woman and play with a Mottey I bought in 2002.The one thing that has stayed constant......I still can't make a ball!

Ghosst

Broom Handle Mafia
Silver Member
I still have the first cue I ever paid for, an $80 Dufferin with a mutli-colored linen wrap and an extra shaft for snooker. To quote Red from Shawshank, "...seems like a long time ago."

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know you've been playing pool for awhile;

If there was a sign over the door that read: No girls allowed...

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When the game of choice that most everyone played at the pool room was 14.1.

Game of choice. 1Ball in the corner was it. (Phila). $1.00/$2.00 a game
You know you have been playing too long when your wife calls...you tell her you are almost done playing or you are on your way home and she says you are full of shiiit. :thumbup:

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was first dropped off at the pool room I met Ray Martin. And he was young!

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when you find sticks in your house you do't remember having. When anyone not as good as the other at anything 'gets the 7'. Anything easy is a hanger.

Fenwick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Game of choice. 1Ball in the corner was it. (Phila). $1.00/$2.00 a game
You know you have been playing too long when your wife calls...you tell her you are almost done playing or you are on your way home and she says you are full of shiiit. :thumbup:

You must be older then me. We played 9 ball for .35 a game. That was my lunch money when I was 14, 1964. I'd rather look like a pimp then eat. Yea we played 1 ball spot, spot.
That's how I won enough to buy shoes and clothes that my parents couldn't afford. A buck a game. That was big money back in my day.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
You know you’ve been around for a while when the first pool hall you went to....
...had swinging half doors on the toilet.....
....and you could smell the urinal from four blocks away.

And the men’s toilet was the only toilet

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You know you have been playing awhile...

...when you can show the kid behind the counter how to work the Caculagraph.

Lou Figueroa

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When 9-ball rules have changed 3 times...

Yeah, pre-Texas Express... can you say 'spot shots'?

Watching Efren from when he first hit the States to now.

Watching Earl in his prime, break and run out.

Meeting Willie Mosconi, Ronnie Allen, Steve Mizerak, and Fats...

Before smart phone distraction, before the Internet, social media, Youtube,
eBay, 'reality' TV...

Yup, been playing awhile... and I ain't done.

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
You know you have been playing too long when you hear the phone ring and you instinctively say...I'M NOT HERE!. I miss the old days when nobody had a phone and wife/girlfriends/others would call the hall looking for someone and you would hear 20 guys yell. I'm not here. You never saw me. I just left. I haven't seen him in days.

Michael Andros

tiny balls, GIANT pockets
Silver Member
When a cube of chalk cost more than your 1st cue. $25 Adam in 1975 . I bought my 1st custom cue from R Black,a merry widow for $250 in 83,won't hardly get a magical ld shaft today. I had all my cues out one day and realised I had 25 grand in cues and was living in a 40 g house,this was in the early nineties.I was single so evidently my priorities were not the same as they are now. I changed my lifestyle,live in a $250000 house with a wonderful woman and play with a Mottey I bought in 2002.The one thing that has stayed constant......I still can't make a ball!

My first cue was a complete POS I spent I think 5.00 on in 67. I used it maybe twice then stashed it in the garage and never touched it again, playing with house cues instead. The next one was @ 2 years later, a pretty nice Viking I paid 20.00 for. The ferrule was cracked and it had no tip. The room owner got it fixed for me. I Iiked that cue a lot. Kept it for @ 3 years or so until I went into the army when I sold it just before leaving.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When Meucci cues were the most desirable and popular cue on the market, even among pro players.

When, over the phone, you could place your custom order for a Gus Szamboti cue starting at $200.

When Johnston City, IL was the mecca of the pool world for 2 weeks every year.

When "The Miz" was "The Man" as the reigning 14.1 World Champion, although he was still a school teacher, and you could get him to drive to your home to give you a 3-4 hour lesson for less than $100 (negotiable) if you were lucky enough to live in NJ.

Last edited:

o.g. (old guy)

mark
Silver Member
When in a pool room and someone would yell out "time on table 7" for the counter man to clock him out before he had even started putting the balls in the tray to save a couple of cents.

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good riddance to a mistaken idea

...when there was a sign on the front door of poolrooms (down south, anyway) that read......"No Colored"