Gold Crown, Champion Pro or Diamond Pro?

Which do you perfer

• Gold Crown 1,2,3,4 (Brunswick)

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Champion Pro (Olhausen)

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Diamond Pro (Diamond)

Votes: 33 55.0%

• Total voters

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Andrew Manning said:
What I'd like most is a table with very tight pockets and very shallow shelves, so that you have to be very accurate to hit the pocket opening, but if you do hit it, you can count on it to drop. Anyone know what table plays most like that?

-Andrew

Andrew,
The double-shimmed GCIV fills the bill (pockets a little tighter than some Diamonds - about the same as the DCC Diamonds - but a lot shallower drop-off). Remember "double-shimmed" means a single extra shim on each cushion - in addition to the shim that comes standard on your table.

Also remember that the ANGLE of the pocket also helps determine whether the ball will bounce out. I actually find that the slightly shallower cut on the GCIV encourages the dreaded "rattle in the jaws and not drop" shot. The Diamonds I play on are cut deeper, but have a steeper cut angle to the rail ends, which helps the ball drop.

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
The problem with diamonds,

The rails on diamonds seem to ride higher giving funny bounces the balls don't hit at center ball and it changes the way they bounce. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong o if it's only a specific model of Diamond,

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
Jaden said:
The rails on diamonds seem to ride higher giving funny bounces the balls don't hit at center ball and it changes the way they bounce. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong o if it's only a specific model of Diamond,

Could just be the particular table you experienced (setup). By the way Championship did tests and determined the cushion nose height should be 1 13/32" exactly for optimum performance.

Terry

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Tbeaux said:
Could just be the particular table you experienced (setup). By the way Championship did tests and determined the cushion nose height should be 1 13/32" exactly for optimum performance.

Terry
I thought it was 1 29/64th's ".

CrossSideLarry

Cross Side Larry
Silver Member
Diamond or who else?

I have owned one Valley Cougar seven foot bar table, one Diamond Pro seven foot bar table and now have a nine foot Diamond Pro with 860 Simonis. I have played on Olhhausen and Brunswick Gold Crown for many continued hours of competitive play in all games. I will take the play of the Diamond table regardless of size over any table in the maket today. The Diamond Pro uses slate slighty thicker than one and one half inch. It rolls 100% dead nuts true. The corner pockets are trimmed in hard leather and not raised making it much more comfortable to shoot out of the corners without having to raise your bridege hand to accomodate the raised metal and leather on the other tables. I like the diamond maks on the rails and prefer them over the inlaid circles. They offer a better target sight for banks and kicks. The rails are beyond comparison. To prove it, shoot the cue ball hard up and back long rail and close your eys. Listen for the distinct ""thump" as it hits the rail. Listen for the strong thump each time it makes contact with a rail. Even when the roll on the ball has amost stopped, when it hits the rail it still has a resounding "thump". I believe this to be unequaled and a testament to how true and precise a bank game can be played when done so on a Diamond table. I just returned from the Derby City Classic. I loved banking on their tables and to have participated at that level. I am practicing now for next year. Good luck in your choice of table, whatever that may turn out to be.

Cross Side Larry

"learn from the best, and beat the rest"

Tbeaux

Angelic Hotdog
Silver Member
JoeyInCali said:
I thought it was 1 29/64th's ".

I did too but I clicked over to championship and it said 1 13/32". 1 29/64" should keep the balls on the table better though I'd think. Let's see mid-ball would be 1 1/8" so 1 13/32" would be closer to center so it should play better but 1 29/64" should keep the balls down on the table better.:confused:

Terry