Help Identify This Old Cue

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many guys threaded the rubber bumper like that- I personally never have seen that much thread on a rubber bumper- maybe that would be a clue- unless I just don't know and it is very common- but I have owned a lot of customs and productions from the 60's thru today and never haver seen it like that before.

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
How many guys threaded the rubber bumper like that- I personally never have seen that much thread on a rubber bumper- maybe that would be a clue- unless I just don't know and it is very common- but I have owned a lot of customs and productions from the 60's thru today and never haver seen it like that before.

That looks like the standard threaded bumper that Atlas sells to me.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member

Burton Spain was the first cue builder I know of who used thread-in rubber bumpers.
Very similar to the bumpers I see on modern cues

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
I had a cue years ago that was similar to this. It was wrapless but the joint ring was identical and the shaft and butt wood was also. That can be a common ring but the fact mine was the same color, width and even had the same finish might be coincidental or might be the same cue maker. Mine had two shafts but not that exact pin. Same thread it seems but not the same style pin. I’ll try and dig up some pics. I got it from a guy in his late 70s at the time, maybe 80. He told me he had it for quite a few years and it was a Fry cue. When I said Bob Fry he said no Doc Fry. I never could find anything close to the one I had.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a cue years ago that was similar to this. It was wrapless but the joint ring was identical and the shaft and butt wood was also. That can be a common ring but the fact mine was the same color, width and even had the same finish might be coincidental or might be the same cue maker. Mine had two shafts but not that exact pin. Same thread it seems but not the same style pin. I’ll try and dig up some pics. I got it from a guy in his late 70s at the time, maybe 80. He told me he had it for quite a few years and it was a Fry cue. When I said Bob Fry he said no Doc Fry. I never could find anything close to the one I had.

Thank you for your response.

I'm really interested in finding out who made it.

It is one of those cues that are simple and have no real distinguishing features that make them easy to identify.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
For some reason, maybe the joint/shaft collars, it reminded me of a Kevin Varney. Sneaky player. :cool:

Doesn't look like Varney because of the threaded bumper.
He used the SW bumper.
And that odd screw that was center drilled is off for him.

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Doesn't look like Varney because of the threaded bumper.
He used the SW bumper.
And that odd screw that was center drilled is off for him.

I think it was the color of those joint/shaft collars that reminded me of his work. ;)