how are ya'll doing in league ?

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I haven't been on AZB very often for the last several months, popping in occasionally. I surf it once in a while, I'm just pretty busy (and not much goof-off time at work, either, lol).

My pool/league game is nothing special to report on. Our teams have both been pretty mediocre, sadly. Some good nights, and more less-than-good nights. We're having fun, which is the point. Looking at replacing one long-time team member after this session, he has to relocate for work. Perhaps some fresh blood might help.

I've played reasonably well the last few weeks, beat a few strong players along the way, came close in other matches. Nothing to write home about, but encouraging. I'm so busy with other stuff that I don't play nearly as much as I did 5-7 years ago. It shows.

This is still a fun place to visit, and read about pool. I hope it maintains...

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
I'm 4-0 this session after twelve weeks. I only play when our 7/8 can't, and he's been laid up since week two with a broke leg. Even then, I only play when there's someone on the opposing team that no one on my team wants to play. I've shot well in those four matches.

I have, however, built quite the reputation as an adept scorekeeper. :thumbup:

As far as league play goes, I can take it or leave it and my captain understands this. I just enjoy getting out of the house and being around the environment. My wife and I are always the first ones there, so we usually shoot a few games on the league table until someone else shows up (she's 7-5 as a SL3/4 in 9-ball and 6-5 in 8-ball). This is on Monday and Thursday nights.

Maniac

Weber

Registered
I moved to Florida 3 years ago and couldn’t find a league that worked with my work schedule. Finally found a 9 ball team that plays on Fridays but it’s an apa league. I typically play BCA but after 3 years of not playing I’m just happy to be shooting again.

Stat’s are ok, I’m at over 85% win percentage with 19 matches played, averaging over 14 points per match.

I played in two qualifier tournaments, I went to the semi’s in the first one and gave it away, and then won the second I played in.

My team is in pretty good shape with 1 week left to go and we are tied for first place. I guess due to the number of teams in our division, 1st and second place moves on, so as long as we shoot good we should make it.

Since I’m new to apa, what is the process? I have tried to look up the tournament path to Vegas but only see information on the Vegas ones. Any insights for a new member trying to understand the structure? Do you have to win the next level or just place to move on? What’s the next step, regionals, states, or ?

Fitzz47

League results

Our team is in first place by one game.
With three weeks left. We had a run of 16 straight
Games. Which might be a league record.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Wow...this thread used to be so active...dying off, slowly....

I've actually been playing fairly well, for me at least. I think I'm in the 70% range for both 8-ball and 9-ball this session. Sadly, both of my teams are near the bottom of their divisions, standings-wise.

Hey, there's always the Wild-Card drawing, lol :p We made it to States and then Vegas having gotten the Wild-Card a couple years ago, why not this time, right?

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
im taking a break from vnea league
its pretty tough and discouraging, no fun getting steam rolled week after week
need something more my level

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
last season was my 1st ever playing in league, started off 4 -0 and quickly went to a SL5 (APA). Then I lost a couple of matches in the middle and went to a SL4, I was beating myself by scratching 8 and early 8's. I learned to take my time and finished strong at the end winning 3 of 4. started off the new season with the worst match I have ever played in my life and lost to a SL3 2-1. Picked it back up last week and easily beat a SL6 3-0. We will see what this week brings......

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had a run of 11 straight wins broken last night. Get up on the guy 2-0 and mind started focusing more on the College FB Championship that was blasting on 10 big screens :(.

Let him get back in the match...lost one game where we each had 6 safeties and he simply came with more accurate kicks than I did. Still battled and had a 6 ball run that left me straight in on the 8 ball about a 1/4 inch off the long rail, across the side pocket, practically the entire length of the table....for the match.

I knew I was going to miss it before I shot it. I got down on the shot 3 times, not feeling comfortable. By the third time, mentally, there was no way I was going to make it. Sure enough, rattled it off the nipple and left him a hanger for the win.

Silver lining, I have identified that particular shot (OB about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch off the rail where I have to run it a good distance) as a definite weakness. Can't wait to get home and rep that shot until it is automatic.

Sucks to lose when you have the match on your stick and let it get away...sucks even worse when you have a bye this week and have to live with it for 2 weeks.

glfgd82

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This session is my first time ever playing in leagues, and I'm just coming back from a 10 year layoff of playing. Currently playing 8 ball Thursdays and 9 Ball Mondays, undefeated in the two weeks so far but I'm a 3 (apa) so it will change as they adjust my level. But I find my focus and playing have improved over the past few weeks as I focus on what I need to do in order to increase my level and paying attention to those at the levels I want to get to next. Being a 3 I want to get to a 6, I watch the 6's in our league and start noticing what I need to improve on in order to get there, I'm finding it a good way to drive me to get better.

Practice makes perfect, but having goals I can see makes me practice every shot with intentions.

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have, however, built quite the reputation as an adept scorekeeper. :thumbup:
Maniac
In case they don't have these where you are at. My friend got this patch the other night.

Attachments

• APA.jpg
    APA.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:

surffisher2a

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Had Tri Cup tournament this past weekend, was a LOT of fun and other than college leagues, it was the first time I ever played matches for something that actually mattered. My first couple of shots started off pretty rough, however I settled in and won both my matches 3 - 0.

The team match was fairly exciting as well, last match was tied going into sudden death (we took too long). A SL4 on our team vs a SL5 on the other team. It went down to the 8 ball and our 4 got it done to win it for our team!

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
We were in first and just fell flat on our face last night. I don't think I have seen our team choke that much. We beat ourselves, can't stand that when I do it.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey this thread has come back to life....sorta.:)

I quit posting cause every one else did. Didnt want to keep bumping it myself.

I am all over the place....as usual.

Dont think you want to read all the headaches i have had tryinv to keep 2 teams together so i will just post results.

Friday night i jumped outon a new player i had never seen before. It was 8 ball and It was a 4-3 race with me going to 4 He won the next 3 in a row to win the match. Dude didnt miss nothing when he caught a gear. I then played him 9 ball where he is a 5 and i am a 6. He won that also. Like i said...he is new so his handicap will eventually catch up with his playing level..

Sunday afternoon i faced a 7 in 9 ball and won 46-37 in. 46-55 race.

Sunday night i played a 5 in 9 ball and she tore me a new one by 38-29 in a 38-46 race. I could do nothing right and she could do no wrong. Hate those kind of matches lol.

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
In case they don't have these where you are at. My friend got this patch the other night.

That's pretty cool....never seen one.

That said, I've got patches out the wazoo and don't care if I ever get another.

Interesting thing our LO started doing this session. Included in the scoresheet packet is a form with all the available patch categories listed on it, with a line to fill in the players name and date of accomplishment. I figure they (LO's) are trying to save a buck or two on patch purchasing. If you don't fill out the form, whether you forget or just don't want one, you won't get the appropriate patch for that night. Pretty good idea, IMO.

Maniac

Maniac

2manyQ's
Silver Member
Getting back to my playing.....We started a new 9-ball session last Monday (Jan. 6th). I had been for about two weeks having severe pain in my left leg running down from my butt sometimes all the way to my achilles heel. Finally went to the doctor and he diagnosed it as sciatica. Went to league that night and immediately informed my captain that the only way I could play was if it were to prevent a forfeit.

Big mistake on my part. He ended up playing me (and if his wife had just played, he wouldn't have had to put me up).

So, I'm Playing another SL7. I quickly realize that I cannot put very much weight on my left leg, was in pain, and was out of stroke from not playing for the past two weeks. I got my arse handed to me 18-2. I haven't played that badly in several years. I played about three skill levels below how I usually play. Oh well, I gave it the "old college try" so-to-speak.

Needless to say, I won't be playing any league 8 or 9-ball until I am totally well and can shoot some at home to get my stroke back. I didn't even go to league last night. Pain was just too much.

So....found out today from x-rays on a return trip to the doctor that along with my many other maladies, I now have a crushed vertebrae (L5) in my lower back.

Life just keeps on getting better and better, Oh well, at least I'm still on the right side of the dirt. :thumbup:

Shoot well, y'all…..I may never again. :frown:

Maniac

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Only playing a local league now, and two weeks in not that great. It is a race to 15 nine ball, payout based on amount of games you win. I got beat 15-6 first week by the best player in the area (I'd say top 15 in state). Last night I won 15-14.. so at 21 wins, and I think it will take a 13-14 game wins a week to get a decent payout.

would like to play the napa singles league in my town, but it was full.

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Only playing a local league now, and two weeks in not that great. It is a race to 15 nine ball, payout based on amount of games you win. I got beat 15-6 first week by the best player in the area (I'd say top 15 in state). Last night I won 15-14.. so at 21 wins, and I think it will take a 13-14 game wins a week to get a decent payout.

would like to play the napa singles league in my town, but it was full.

Wish we still had napa here. Completely opposite of your dilemma....couldnt field enough teams. At least it lasted longer than tap or usapl did which i played in also every week plus apa...cant believe i played in 3 different national leagues every week. Yea i can....just loved playing pool no matter what the rules or format.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ok, this week was miserable for my team. We played a team that had two decent guys, and 3 terrible women. I let some of my newer players play the decent guys, and me and two teammates bit the bullet and played the 3 girls.
Now, I don't have a problem playing anybody. There are plenty of women around here that could give me the wild 7, but these girls were horrible.

Not only that, they were loud, obnoxious, and very drunk. F-bombs after every shot they missed, jokingly calling us azzholes for every ball we pocketed. Yelling across the tables, calling each other b---ches, and c---nts, and sluts...not a fun night.

We knew it was coming, and I told my guys to just play the "ghost" and not even pay attention. Luckily, the bar owner is on my team and made them ratchet it back a few notches.

I managed to win my 5-2 race rather quickly in about 12 innings, but had a buddy who let them put him on tilt from the start. He missed shots he never misses, scratched on the 8 ball to put her on the hill, and had to grind out a 4-1 victory that took about an hour and a half!!!

I like playing league, and have had very few issues, but this one week each session is brutal! Ah, well , we won 13-3 and take over 1st place. Already qualified for cities, but still nice to have everyone else chasing.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Just started apa 8 and 9
8 is going kinda standard for me

9 lol
1st week it was competitve match
Since then its been one sided and tonights was the biggest margin, she might of got 3, to my 25
And i did it pretty fast

All i get is drama, your not a 3 your not a 3
They cant accept i just started

next vnea sesh starts in a week and im getting back in to that also

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
I'd been playing pretty well the last month or so, then got my butt kicked Tuesday night :)
Had my chances, too. Frustrating. Oh well, back at it tonight

Last edited: