Can anyone explain to me how to use a radius cutter???

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one from Todd for a mid American lathe but good lord can’t figure out how to get a good shape tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I bought one from Todd for a mid American lathe but good lord can’t figure out how to get a good shape tip

Start from the outside edge of the tip-
Patiently take a very light pass over the tip-
TOWARDS THE FERRULE and just keep going over til nice and round....
KEEP LOOKING UP YOUTUBE -DIFFERENT TIP INSTALLATION VIDS....;)

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The more bit sticking out of the front of most radius cutters make a more rounded radius. Loosen the tool bit and move it forward so more of it sticks out.

J$Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The more bit sticking out of the front of most radius cutters make a more rounded radius. Loosen the tool bit and move it forward so more of it sticks out.

Thanks guys I’ll keep playing with it

tsp&b

Silver Member
When you receive the radius turner the cutting bit will be positioned far forward as shown in Photo #1. The cutting bit must be re-positioned back. To adjust the radius loosen the Radius adj. screw and slide the black bit holder back or forward as desired to set the desired radius. The radius is the distance from the center of the pivot to the forward edge of the cutting bit. Photo #3. A dime radius is .350 inch, a penny is .375 inch a nickel is .4175 inch, and a quarter is .4975.
Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture3.jpg