Opinions on my old schon

realtor1618

Registered
Good day everyone. I have an older schon that I purchased in 1986 for a graduation present to myself. I didn’t take as good of care of it as I should have. I got it out of the closet recently and it got me thinking what I should do with it. It isn’t in horrible shape. It has a broken butt cap and there are a few nicks and dings from years of shooting. I think I want to get it refinished but don’t know if I should do that or not. It is over 30 years old and I don’t know how it would effect the value. Or if the cost of doing it would even be worth it. I am posting pictures of my cue. I have never been able to find another one like it. I have no idea what model it is. Some people say it is a one of a kind. All I know is it’s a schon I bought brand new in June of 1986 for around 400$. It has the stitch ring. It doesn’t say schon on the shaft but does on the butt. Does anyone have an opinion of what it is worth and if it is worth getting refinished? Would a refinish take away from the value? Who should I have refinish it if I do? Schon? A trusted local shop? This cue is from The Bob Runde era. Is he still around somewhere and would he touch something like this? Any advice, opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Tia.

Attachments

• DADED195-0880-46EF-8A26-4CB04110F7F4.jpg
    DADED195-0880-46EF-8A26-4CB04110F7F4.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 628
  • 9FC3C504-31FB-4A9E-B6CF-DDD2B1EAE947.jpg
    9FC3C504-31FB-4A9E-B6CF-DDD2B1EAE947.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 630
  • 05F1D13D-CE36-4207-A903-BFA85EB50CF1.jpg
    05F1D13D-CE36-4207-A903-BFA85EB50CF1.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 639
  • D31E9762-A574-454B-BB69-1B256A019336.jpg
    D31E9762-A574-454B-BB69-1B256A019336.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 630
  • C1AF3867-E93D-414F-82B8-42E98F76E5A5.jpg
    C1AF3867-E93D-414F-82B8-42E98F76E5A5.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 640

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The issue is getting the buttcap replaced and not losing the logo. You may want to contact Schon and see if they can do it and keep the logo.

I don't see a lot of value in the cue with the broken buttcap, you may be able to sell if for a $100 under normal value if someone would buy it as is. Issue is that whoever buys it as is would have to be willing to spend the time to get it fixed which cuts down on the market quite a bit. You should be able to get $400 for it if fixed, same as your original cost.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
I would replace the butt cap. IMO, having Schon do it will cost more than you will see on a return. You know who built it.

YMMV

qbilder

slower than snails
Silver Member
Doesn't need a refinish, IMO. Have Schon replace butt cap. I can't imagine they would charge too much for that, but who knows?

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Who Sharpied the logo?? The buttcap is already worthless, replace it. The cue with a new buttcap will be worth a ton more.

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good day everyone. I have an older schon that I purchased in 1986 for a graduation present to myself. I didn’t take as good of care of it as I should have. I got it out of the closet recently and it got me thinking what I should do with it. It isn’t in horrible shape. It has a broken butt cap and there are a few nicks and dings from years of shooting. I think I want to get it refinished but don’t know if I should do that or not. It is over 30 years old and I don’t know how it would effect the value. Or if the cost of doing it would even be worth it. I am posting pictures of my cue. I have never been able to find another one like it. I have no idea what model it is. Some people say it is a one of a kind. All I know is it’s a schon I bought brand new in June of 1986 for around 400$. It has the stitch ring. It doesn’t say schon on the shaft but does on the butt. Does anyone have an opinion of what it is worth and if it is worth getting refinished? Would a refinish take away from the value? Who should I have refinish it if I do? Schon? A trusted local shop? This cue is from The Bob Runde era. Is he still around somewhere and would he touch something like this? Any advice, opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Tia.
Call Schon and tell 'em was like that when you bought it in "86, you just ain't had time to worry with it till now!

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Doesn't need a refinish, IMO. Have Schon replace butt cap. I can't imagine they would charge too much for that, but who knows?

Last price I saw from Schon was $100, plus shipping for the part. No mention on if it is signed/ branded since it needs to be fit.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would send to Schon and have them race the buttcap and maybe refinish if you want to, but probably not necessary.

Bob Runde is still around but he’s mostly retired these days. I think he’s still putting out a tiny number of cues but not taking in repair work. Schon will be able to take care of you though!

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing for sure, it is not an R series catalog cue. For whatever reason, the non catalog R series cues don't seem to bring as much money as the catalog cues.

That cue is worth restoring/fixing. I don't think I would send it to Schon, I would go with Proficient, Phillippi, or, Rat Cues for the repair work. Your cue WILL be worth just as much after any of the above guys do the work as if done by Schon. Your biggest challenge will be finding the butt cap with that exact script type. Schon changed their logo up over the years.

If you are interested in selling the cue, I may be interested in the cue as is.

realtor1618

Registered
Thank you to all who took the time to reply. I am leaning on sending it to Schon for a new butt cap only. And ideologist, I assure you that I never touched this stick with a sharpie. I have to take the blame for the butt being broke though. If anyone else has any opinions I would still love to hear them. Thanks again.

realtor1618

Registered
One thing for sure, it is not an R series catalog cue. For whatever reason, the non catalog R series cues don't seem to bring as much money as the catalog cues.

That cue is worth restoring/fixing. I don't think I would send it to Schon, I would go with Proficient, Phillippi, or, Rat Cues for the repair work. Your cue WILL be worth just as much after any of the above guys do the work as if done by Schon. Your biggest challenge will be finding the butt cap with that exact script type. Schon changed their logo up over the years.

If you are interested in selling the cue, I may be interested in the cue as is.

Thank you for your reply. Very interesting that the catalog cues bring more money. I am concerned with matching the butt cap also. I had schon make me another shaft about 15 years ago but the stitch ring didn't match exactly. Close but not exact. The hit wasn't even close to the original either. That is another reason I have some hesitancy about sending it to them. As far as selling it I don't think I am interested. I believe it is a one-of-a-kind Runde Era Schon. I believe it is worth more than some people are saying. It certainly is to me. It would need to be a good offer. Thanks for the advice on the repair work.

Nine ... corner

BANNED
Silver Member
I have no comment on the cue but did want to praise your photographic prowess in picking out a backdrop to best show it off. ;)

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It has always been the policy of Schon, that if someone other than them, work on the cue. They pretty much dis-own and will not work on it.
Food for thought.