Shaft insert Repair Suggestions

selkov

Registered
In the past if a shaft joint was damaged I would remove the insert, if needed machine a larger hole, insert a dowel and re-thread / tap for a new insert. But i got to thinking what other options I might have.

What material would you suggest to make the dowel from and tap threads [5/16x14] into it directly there for bypassing the insert entirely?

What material do you think would feel most like wood and not deaden the feedback?

-Eds

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not a huge fan of phenolic inserts for threads like 5/16-18 and 5/16-14, I prefer the brass inserts. But if you don't want to use a brass insert, phenolic or Garolite is what you should be looking at. Threading in wood will eventually cause problems, even if you use a hard and slightly oily wood like Katalox.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Nubs Wager of Nova cues preferred Phenolic inserts 5/16x14 for his Cues.
Joss does a lot of them also.
Jackson cues is another using phenolic with his 9/32x18.

Last edited:

selkov

Registered
Not a fan of phenolic. Was looking for broader options.
Also do not care for G-10 [Garolite].
Looking for a softer compound.

selkov

Registered
the head is the most important aspect of the game, so why not appease it?
And if ferrule material imparts a feel and joint material imparts a feel it stand to reason so does a insert.
perhaps not much but it must.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
the head is the most important aspect of the game, so why not appease it?
And if ferrule material imparts a feel and joint material imparts a feel it stand to reason so does a insert.
perhaps not much but it must.

It doesn't .
Take it out of your head.
You're trying to weaken the joint by using a softer material and you think that will have more life than brass.
The ferrule is the material right under the tip.
That's a different subject altogether .

If you insist in using wood, then use a 3/8 screw .

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a fan of phenolic. Was looking for broader options.
Also do not care for G-10 [Garolite].
Looking for a softer compound.

Why are you looking for a softer material is the question everyone wonders about?
5/16-14 is a machine screw, not a wood screw. The threads are fairly fine and if you thread into wood it's just a question of time before the threads get damaged.

selkov

Registered
Why are you looking for a softer material is the question everyone wonders about?
5/16-14 is a machine screw, not a wood screw. The threads are fairly fine and if you thread into wood it's just a question of time before the threads get damaged.

I am not threading into wood.
I am looking for an insert material that would feel different - softer - than brass.

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like the best solution for you would be to convert cue to G10 3/8-10 pin into wood.

Or you could try delrin as a softer insert.
Would need to be threaded on the OD for retention.
Probably similar to aluminum for durability.

smt