3 Ball Game.

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting together a three ball night at my local bar. The owner has agreed to add a little money and open the table for a period of time. I am trying to get people of all skill levels to participate. I have never heard of ways to handicap a three ball game. Any ideas would be helpful. The only handicap system for three ball that I can think of would to be to charge a different fee per round based on your skill level. Thank you in advance for your serious reply

mvp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Weak player .25,.50,.75 great player is 1.00 etc handicap the cash! With one tie the group ties!

Magyar19

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am getting together a three ball night at my local bar. The owner has agreed to add a little money and open the table for a period of time. I am trying to get people of all skill levels to participate. I have never heard of ways to handicap a three ball game. Any ideas would be helpful. The only handicap system for three ball that I can think of would to be to charge a different fee per round based on your skill level. Thank you in advance for your serious reply

Eh, IMO 3-ball shouldn't have to be handicapped. I've played many many sessions of 3-ball and its been my experience that everyone has about an equal chance unless they are completely horrible. Not hard to run out 1-3 balls and any banger can smash the rack and get a lucky 1 or 2 balls in

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Handicapping the cash won't work with a great player in the game with "C" and "B" players. The top player wins most of the time. Johnnyt

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Handicapping the money is the best way. I have seen a d player get a 1. Its possible just unlikely. If you cant afford losing 20 bucks over 9-10 hours to have a slight chance and shark the whole time, go to the movie theater pay 18 for a movie and 18 for snacks, lol. That will get you 2 hrs. of fun, maybe. 3 ball is so much fun, you cant lose even if your down.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tre ball........................

I've played in a zillion 3ball games and none were h'cappd. Everybody from a beginner to roadie played. There is a LOT of luck involved when you line-up 3 balls and whack 'em. The best way,IMHO, is to play 3 rounds and pay-out for low total and also have an ace pot that carries over til its hit. We did a $6 entry with $3 going to 1st place pot, $2 to second and $1 to ace pot. House usually kicked in $100-200 to restart ace pot if hit. Largest ace pot i've ever seen was $5,700.00 Yeah, get 'ya some.

Last edited:

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I agree totally, no handicap.

It's usually whoever put balls in on the break that wins, which is pretty random.

jacob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree that the game doesn't need a handicap. I fear that only the same few "better" players may show up and chase away any newbies that may give it a shot.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
That's what makes 3 ball so great, anyone can win w a lucky break.

Never played best score of three rounds though, that would help better players.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need to add that most every 3ball game/tourn. i've played in was at a bar or poolroom that had one. 3ball is as much a social deal as it is serious pool. We'd get big turn-outs(over 70players at times) and everyone had good time. I haven't played the old-school "quarter ante"-style in forever. Fun with small #'s of players but the tournament-style, 3 round deal is a lot better when you have a bunch of players. Good luck with yours and have fun.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
sure anyone can win dont handicap it. it is just a coincidence that the best players always seem to win all the money.

just look at the big pool tournaments all the suckers play thinking they have a chance and the top five are usually all right there taking down all the entry fees.

PaulieB

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We do a buck in per person per round and to handicap it for the chasers we give them a free round every time they have to put up 3 times in a row.

We've been burned a few times but whatever ... 3 ball is not considered the most skilled game. :)

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is the main table that's used at Blue Fin Billiards
(Fresno, CA) for 3 ball, golf and also snooker games.

The pool hall is doing some great thing & one in particular
is going to be revealed shortly that is just a fabulous idea.

In the meantime, I'll get some photos posted of the pool hall
in the Gallery. It is now a sea of Simonis Tournament Blue
with the pool tables, except the snooker, newly covered. All
the 7' and 9' tables were just completed ( bumpers & cloth).

Matt,

Attachments

• 3 ball.jpg
    3 ball.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 427
  • Snooker.jpg
    Snooker.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 441
  • 9 ft tables.jpg
    9 ft tables.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 459
  • Early Arrival.jpg
    Early Arrival.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 434
Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what makes 3 ball so great, anyone can win w a lucky break.

Never played best score of three rounds though, that would help better players.
I guess you could h'cap the tournament version by allowing lower rated player 3rounds and only 2 for upper-level players.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sure anyone can win dont handicap it. it is just a coincidence that the best players always seem to win all the money.

just look at the big pool tournaments all the suckers play thinking they have a chance and the top five are usually all right there taking down all the entry fees.
Have you EVER played it? When you line-up 3 balls(not in a triangle) the break is ALL luck. Sure the better players get out better but i've seen really weak shooters get the $$ due to the break. Also, the ace pot is why most if not all people show up. A lot of them couldn't care LESS about the low-total $. They're swingin' for the fences and headed back to their beer.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Acepot blows my mind, that could go forever. I've never seen it, heard ppl talk about it is all.
Its really crazy. We always used a slightly tightened Valley and sometimes the ace would get hit 2wks in a row, other times it took months. The $5,700 pot i alluded to took something like 18mos. to build up. Reason i remember it is that ace-maker usually tipped racker 10%. A buddy of mine, drunk off his a^^, came runnin' over to show me the $570 tip he just got for rackin' the ace. Needless to say, the next few rounds were on him.