So, are the old Gandy Big G tables really all that bad?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I owned 22 of them and they were pretty bad.

This doesnt help the OP much but I am curious how the Gandy's compare to the Olhausen Professional table. I was lucky enough to play on one of the Olhausen's and I would not take one if you paid me to take it. I thought it was an awful playing table.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
There was a room near where I worked that had Gandys. The tables were not pleasant to play on, both because of the way they were made and the owner's apparent unwillingness to maintain them.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This doesnt help the OP much but I am curious how the Gandy's compare to the Olhausen Professional table. I was lucky enough to play on one of the Olhausen's and I would not take one if you paid me to take it. I thought it was an awful playing table.

fastone371, actually it could help me (the OP).

I had also considered the Olhausen, so could you maybe give me an idea what was so awful about it? And could it have been related to the setup?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
P. J. Pockets in Federal Way(in the 80s) had Gandy tables. The one thing I noticed was on a jump shot they felt like a trampoline.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
fastone371, actually it could help me (the OP).

I had also considered the Olhausen, so could you maybe give me an idea what was so awful about it? And could it have been related to the setup?

I believe Olhausens have a very poor pocket angle design. Even well struck balls do not easliy get pocketed, they tend to rattle. The table seemed to play slow compared to the Gold Crowns in our local pool hall, maybe the cloth was not stretched properly, but it seemed like more than just the cloth, the table just felt dead when you played on it. I also think they use a lot of pressboard on them, some of the woodwork was loose on several of the tables and some areas seemed to be expanding like pressboard when it gets wet/damp. These were commercial Olhausen tables, maybe I just expected more out of a commercial table and my expectation were too high. At any rate I decided there and then I would never buy an Olhausen.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For average players they are great, you can have fun on them and play decent pool and they can be had pretty cheap sometimes.
Although it seems nowadays, almost everyone thinks they are a retailer.

BobTfromIL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All we have in AZ are Gandy's and Olhausens, better than nothing but no where as good as a Diamond or GC. The Olhausen pockets do rattle quite easily.

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a 9 ft Bid G and had new cushions and the rails worked on by Jack Z

and it's a great table. It plays as well as any table that I have played on. I

do not regret one bit for buying this table and having it reworked. i only paid

125 bux a piece for 5 of them! Plus the guy threw in a double platter Diamond for

an extra hundo!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I have a 9 ft Bid G and had new cushions and the rails worked on by Jack Z

and it's a great table. It plays as well as any table that I have played on. I

do not regret one bit for buying this table and having it reworked. i only paid

125 bux a piece for 5 of them! Plus the guy threw in a double platter Diamond for

an extra hundo!

So you were after the ball polisher, and figured it was a good deal even if you had to take the tables with it...LOL

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not a deep shelf, thats corner pockets over 5" at the mouth. The bigger the corner pocket, the more exposed the pocket shelf is. Tighten them pockets to 4 1/2" at the mouth and there won't be much of a pocket shelf left.
I see what you mean, thanks. Probably better off as is then, and I'm not good enough for 4 1/2" pockets anyway. :eek:

SignManiac

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I enjoy playing on both my Gandy 8+ and the Brunswick that has the GC1 top half.
I put Simonis tournament cloth on both with Diamond K55 rails.

I think for anyone that can't afford a new Diamond or GC, they would be very happy to have an older table to play on. Any table is damn near better than no table.

Sprucing up the Gandy with a custom badge I'm making for the sides.

Attachments

• BW-10.jpg
    BW-10.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 375
  • Gandy-02.JPG
    Gandy-02.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 375
  • Gandy-05 Sides.jpg
    Gandy-05 Sides.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 377

freds

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any table is damn near better than no table.
:thumbup2:

Wow, very pretty - your tables look newer than new. I've got that same Gandy 8+, but it sure don't look like that - what do you use to get that shine on the rails? (Besides elbow grease.)

ROB.M

:)
Silver Member
I enjoy playing on both my Gandy 8+ and the Brunswick that has the GC1 top half.
I put Simonis tournament cloth on both with Diamond K55 rails.

I think for anyone that can't afford a new Diamond or GC, they would be very happy to have an older table to play on. Any table is damn near better than no table.

Sprucing up the Gandy with a custom badge I'm making for the sides.

-

K55 on 1-1/2 Gandy rails.....?

Rob.M

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I keep checking my thread here to see if anybody might have something positive to say about a Gandy, which would in turn free me up to consider one. But so far, it ain't happening.

I'm sure glad I didn't realize how awful they were back in the late '60s and '70s. I would have missed out on a lot of fun!

Gunn_Slinger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not a deep shelf, thats corner pockets over 5" at the mouth. The bigger the corner pocket, the more exposed the pocket shelf is. Tighten them pockets to 4 1/2" at the mouth and there won't be much of a pocket shelf left.
Hi RKC. Don't know how old you are, but did you ever come to
Weenie Beenie's room in arlington va in the 70's? The tables were gandy but they had
what looked like laminated rails similar looking to GC 1-2. The pockets were cut at a wide angle so if you hit pocket facing, the ball would go back & forth like a pinball machine and spit it out or hang. The word was that Beenie had them made special
at Gandy. Any info?
thanks
ps
The best players in the country played all games on them for over 10 years.

Sweatin'

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi RKC. Don't know how old you are, but did you ever come to
Weenie Beenie's room in arlington va in the 70's? The tables were gandy but they had
what looked like laminated rails similar looking to GC 1-2. The pockets were cut at a wide angle so if you hit pocket facing, the ball would go back & forth like a pinball machine and spit it out or hang. The word was that Beenie had them made special
at Gandy. Any info?
thanks
ps
The best players in the country played all games on them for over 10 years.

If by saying laminated rails you mean the rails were covered in some kind of laminate product that looked like wood, I have to say that every Big G I ever saw had that kind of rails.

Not all Gandys were the commercial Big G model.