Schmelke fails to live up to the hype

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Forgive me for hijacking your photo but maybe Simonis Gold is more attractive underneath a rare cue.
Never a problem. You tend to do things in good taste
Nice Schmelke !!!

That is not a Schmelke but I used the butt cap design for my Schmelke's posted earlier.

From my buying experience. Schmelke cues are a good value but Schmelke is not a custom shop. Don't expect the requested specs to be followed. Maybe they are too busy and getting sloppy. I few things I asked for were not honored or omitted. Aftermarket shafts (Predator) do not match up 100% at the joint. I do recommend them....most buyers are satisfied customers...but don't go overboard with options.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
then as a business they should inform buyers of their shortcomings when ordering something not standard.
to not and send out a disappointment to a buyer is a reflection on their customer relations.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke.................

When ordering from them you need to talk to David. Also, you need to be VERY clear as to exactly what you're wanting done as to butt size, joint diameter etc. That being said i've seen cues from some pretty highly touted custom makers that had flaws/errors/mistakes. It happens and they can usually be fixed. If not, get a refund and move on. I've had nothing but good luck with Schmelke and would recommend them for anyone looking at a sneaky as that's the only style of their cues i've seen or used.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I omitted the logos. I a 314-2 or a REVO on mine. It plays as good as the shooter.

Hmmm. Last time I ordered one they wouldn't do a Uni-Loc QR .. but did have their own version of quick release. How long ago did you get yours doc?

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what did you decide to go for instead.....

I picked up a used sneaky by a custom maker. It's much nicer but also more expensive than the Schmelke.

Tbh though

12.6mm to 12.9mm is literally.012 thou of an inch
.006 a side, roughly the size of 2 hairs on each size in difference

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't competent cue makers regularly able to produce shafts within+/- 0.1mm of a requested diameter or better? It may be a difference of only 4 human hairs, but 12.6mm is noticeably different from a standard 13mm shaft. I couldn't tell the difference between what they sent me and standard 13mm shafts. Also, I notice that they only offer 0.25mm increments on their website now, but I'm nearly certain they were offering 0.1mm increments when I ordered mine. They shouldn't have been offering that degree of precision if they can't produce it.

Can I ask who you spoke to when you called?

I ordered from David by email and dealt with Kim by email after problems arose.

Unhappy?... return and ask for a full refund plus shipping.

I asked for a full refund and they insisted on a restocking fee and refused to refund any of the ~$70 I wasted on shipping.

When ordering from them you need to talk to David. Also, you need to be VERY clear as to exactly what you're wanting done as to butt size, joint diameter etc. That being said i've seen cues from some pretty highly touted custom makers that had flaws/errors/mistakes. It happens and they can usually be fixed. If not, get a refund and move on. I've had nothing but good luck with Schmelke and would recommend them for anyone looking at a sneaky as that's the only style of their cues i've seen or used.

I emailed specs to David - they were perfectly clear. The second time around, there was an obvious finish defect. They refused to stand behind their product and refused to refund me in full.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Judging by the rubber damage between the butt and the butt plug, it looks like impact damage.:rotflmao:

Last edited:

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
when a guy with no feedback blast a well respected cue maker
i say "consider the source"

I am thinking about buying some more Schmelkes based on this cheap shot

billlaur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
schmelke

Sorry to hear all the bad news about this company,will have 2nd thoughts about dealing with them..Very poor customer service...To many other cue makers out there,why deal with schmelke............:angry:

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

A bumperless Hoppe Tribute Schmelke would be in order.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry to hear all the bad news about this company,will have 2nd thoughts about dealing with them..Very poor customer service...To many other cue makers out there,why deal with schmelke............:angry:

Poor service says who .... one person.

Forbin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Cheap shot? I gave them every chance to make it right before making my complaints public. They didn't even respond to my last email.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cheap shot? I gave them every chance to make it right before making my complaints public. They didn't even respond to my last email.
You had a bad exp. with them. These things can happen. Probably just need to check them off your list and move on. Lots of makers out there. Hope your next cue is awesome.

jokrswylde

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wow. Who knew you had to have "feedback" in order to share an experience. Very pompous statement there sir. This man shared his experience, gave details, and posted pictures. But he is not worthy of being believed because of no feedback? Give me a break.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a different view on this. I would like more detail including hearing the other side.
Good point. Hearing Schmelke's side would be the fair way to conclude this. I have no reason to doubt the OP's story but the other side's take would be good as well.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Good point. Hearing Schmelke's side would be the fair way to conclude this. I have no reason to doubt the OP's story but the other side's take would be good as well.

Schmelke is not perfect...and so are some of the higher cue makers I used in the past. Schmelke tried their best to make and keep me a satisfied customer. And they did. I'd like to hear the other side.
I'm more PO'd about some customs I had made for $500 up from recommended cue makers. I'm sorry I dealt with them. Details were not followed...time frames way off. Some lines of bullcrap tossed in along the way.

Last edited:

angluse

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Schmelke is not perfect...and so are some of the higher cue makers I used in the past. Schmelke tried their best to make and keep me a satisfied customer. And they did. I'd like to hear the other side.
I'm more PO'd about some customs I had made for $500 up from recommended cue makers. I'm sorry I dealt with them. Details were not followed...time frames way off. Some lines of bullcrap tossed in along the way.

My thoughts exactly. The Schmelke I ordered had a problem, and David went above and beyond to make it right. Made me whole a new cue and shaft, shipped it fast. Amazing, considering it was a simple no-logo sneaky for $125. Compare that to the cornholing I've received from a touted local maker: my hand-picked wood sent to another guy, nary an apology, other simple specs totally ignored, still waiting after 3 years. I'm in $750 for that, and I half-expect a grenade whenever it finally gets here - I seriously believe the guy plain doesn't like me. I've tried to be pleasant, not bother him too much, but with each contact I'm wondering if I'm buying myself another push to the back of the line.

If it hadn't been for the experience I had with Schmelke, I would have sworn off anything remotely custom and would be playing with a Predator like everyone else (okay, that's an exaggeration).
I don't necessarily think the OP is lying, the cue business has to be tough, and I wouldn't be surprised that Schmelke had to implement changes like restocking fees and generally just not giving things away like they pretty much did in my case. Even if so, they blow the doors off the experience I've had with "that other guy."