The Hustler

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I had a brainstorm the other day and I think the time is right to act on it. I want to remake The Hustler with an entirely new film. By the way the title to a film cannot be copyrighted so I have every right to use that name again if I so desire, and I do! Of course that starts with a script, and I'll be the one to produce that. But I need help and that's why I'm announcing this on here. I know that AZB is the greatest resource there is for the knowledge that I seek.

What I'm looking for is all the best hustles you have ever seen. Poolroom hustles are my first choice and other similar hustles being second. Maybe you know how someone beat the books or outwitted the ponies. That's all good stuff as far as I'm concerned. I want my hustler to be a little more well rounded than Fast Eddie. I probably know ten or twenty hustles that I've seen in poolrooms in my life but I'm looking for the most innovative ones to write about. Obviously my main character(s) will be hustlers, so I have to give them some clever ways to hustle. What I'm not looking for is criminal ways to steal from people but con games of all kinds, including some gray areas that may border on illegal, could work as well. For instance I have seen crooked dice tables and blackjack boxes, but I may not use any of them in my story, other than to mention they exist.

Any other ideas that you think may work for this script would also be appreciated. Let's see what we can create together. Rather than sit around and bemoan the state of the billiard industry, let's be proactive and do something about it. I don't know how much difference a new movie like this will make, but it would be fun to try, and I'm up for it. I know that I probably can't write a better script than Robert Roessen and Sydney Carroll did for The Hustler, but I can damn sure do my best to write a good script that will be entertaining. I wrote Pool Wars and people loved it, so why not write a new script about The Hustler.

I have begun the process of compiling my notes now. I will organize them first and create a rough outline before embarking on writing this script. Rather than send me PM's here (that would be too cumbersome), I'm requesting that you send your ideas to me via e-mail, jayhelfert@yahoo.com. I will answer all e-mails and let you know later if it's something that I'm incorporating into the script.

You never know unless you try! :yes:

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had a brainstorm the other day and I think the time is right to act on it. I want to remake The Hustler with an entirely new film. By the way the title to a film cannot be copyrighted so I have every right to use that name again if I so desire, and I do! Of course that starts with a script, and I'll be the one to produce that. But I need help and that's why I'm announcing this on here. I know that AZB is the greatest resource there is for the knowledge that I seek.

What I'm looking for is all the best hustles you have ever seen. Poolroom hustles are my first choice and other similar hustles being second. Maybe you know how someone beat the books or outwitted the ponies. That's all good stuff as far as I'm concerned. I want my hustler to be a little more well rounded than Fast Eddie. I probably know ten or twenty hustles that I've seen in poolrooms in my life but I'm looking for the most innovative ones to write about. Obviously my main character(s) will be hustlers, so I have to give them some clever ways to hustle. What I'm not looking for is criminal ways to steal from people but con games of all kinds, including some gray areas that may border on illegal, could work as well. For instance I have seen crooked dice tables and blackjack boxes, but I may not use any of them in my story, other than to mention they exist.

Any other ideas that you think may work for this script would also be appreciated. Let's see what we can create together. Rather than sit around and bemoan the state of the billiard industry, let's be proactive and do something about it. I don't know how much difference a new movie like this will make, but it would be fun to try, and I'm up for it. I know that I probably can't write a better script than Robert Roessen and Sydney Carroll did for The Hustler, but I can damn sure do my best to write a good script that will be entertaining. I wrote Pool Wars and people loved it, so why not write a new script about The Hustler.
I have begun the process of compiling my notes now. I will organize them first and create a rough outline before embarking on writing this script. Rather than send me PM's here (that would be too cumbersome), I'm requesting that you send your ideas to me via e-mail, jayhelfert@yahoo.com. I will answer all e-mails and let you know later if it's something that I'm incorporating into the script.
You never know unless you try! :yes:
You've already got your script.
Just turn Pool Wars into a screenplay, come up with a suitable character and work the character into the script.
Next step.and the BIG one: Getting investors or producers to buy it.
As you know from experience, the most interesting book in the world means nothing until somebody plops down the cash and buys it. Otherwise, it sits in boxes in your garage.
I'd suggest leaving out as much graphic violence as possible. Tales along the lines of that screwball David Sizemore aren't going to enhance the image of pool very much.
Good wishes to you.
:thumbup:

Last edited:

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been thinking the same thing, that another "hustler" movie should be done because there are so many incredible stories beyond what has been shown. I also think it should be 'seedy.' There is a certain individual (who is still alive) whose life story seems chockful of stories for a movie. Stories abound on this forum. As for me, I would not call it by the same name, I would come up with something different. It's already been done. I would love to see a high-quality film with great actors and plenty of budget do this, it would be uber cool. Think of how cool "The Sting" was/is.

EDIT: Perhaps it could be seedy but with redemption at the end. And to elevate pool, could showcase the more gentlemanly aspects.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
You've already got your script.
Just turn Pool Wars into a screenplay, come up with a suitable character and work the character into the script.
Next step.and the BIG one: Getting investors or producers to buy it.
As you know from experience, the most interesting book in the world means nothing until somebody plops down the cash and buys it. Otherwise, it sits in boxes in your garage.
I'd suggest leaving out as much graphic violence as possible. Tales along the lines of that screwball David Sizemore aren't going to enhance the image of pool very much.
Good wishes to you.
:thumbup:

You are right there on all counts. I may incorporate some aspects of my book but that's not the story I want, at least not much of it anyway. I do know how hard it is to get a movie made in Hollywood, but it can be done! I do know how to get a script read and that's how everything starts. I will worry more about that after I have a script to show them. I'm also not into graphic violence and I don't think it needs to be part of this script. No one needs to get their thumbs broken! I'd much rather inject some humor and if anyone has hustle stories that include humorous aspects to them I'm all for that. I want this movie to be lighthearted and fun.

A few weird characters would also fit well into the story and we've all seen some in our lives. I like strange folks! :rolleyes:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been thinking the same thing, that another "hustler" movie should be done because there are so many incredible stories beyond what has been shown. I also think it should be 'seedy.' There is a certain individual (who is still alive) whose life story seems chockful of stories for a movie. Stories abound on this forum. As for me, I would not call it by the same name, I would come up with something different. It's already been done. I would love to see a high-quality film with great actors and plenty of budget do this, it would be uber cool. Think of how cool "The Sting" was/is.

EDIT: Perhaps it could be seedy but with redemption at the end. And to elevate pool, could showcase the more gentlemanly aspects.

Yes, we do have some great characters in the pool world and I may draw on them as well. I also loved The Sting but it was about one long drawn out hustle and I want a character(s) who keep coming up with new stuff. Rather than one big hustle, I'd like to see a series of them incorporated into my script. I need a compelling story to go with it and I'm still working on that as well. Perhaps a lady hustler meets up with my guy and they team up in some way. There needs to be a more compelling story or maybe not. This one is a challenge right now, but I like challenges.

It could be as simple as the main characters dad (who he is estranged from) is losing his home thru foreclosure and he needs X number of dollars to bail it out. Maybe he works his way across the country hustling until he gets to Florida where his dad lives, and intends to give him all the money he makes along the way. There can be a catch to this ending too which I just thought of. I'm open to ideas now! We have some creative people on here. By the way I already have written and worked on a couple of scripts before so I understand the format. Much different than a book!

Last edited:

smashmouth

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would consider what made The Hustler and TCOM so succesful in relation to every other dog pile crap film out there

keep this in mind with your screenplay, imo the actual books were really not so great

Cuebuddy

Mini cues
Silver Member
There are not but a few folks in the industry who could make this work and I believe you are one of them Jay. You have the experiences and knowledge of many years in the game and asking for help from your "online family" is a great idea. I am looking forward to seeing this transpire and wish you a smooth time in the production.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but one that I have used over the years is to put an object ball in the jaws frozen to the right side of the right corner pocket. Stand at the the opposite corner of the table. Ask how many tries that you can get if you spin the cue ball with your hand 3 rails and make it in the corner without touching the object ball.

Obviously you couldn't do this on tables with 4.5 inch pockets or tighter. I've only done this on bar tables. The clearance is so small but with enough tries I can do it at a higher rate than 50%. I try to get 25 tries but will make the bet with 20 tries.

livemusic

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, we do have some great characters in the pool world and I may draw on them as well. I also loved The Sting but it was about one long drawn out hustle and I want a character(s) who keep coming up with new stuff. Rather than one big hustle, I'd like to see a series of them incorporated into my script. I need a compelling story to go with it and I'm still working on that as well. Perhaps a lady hustler meets up with my guy and they team up in some way. There needs to be a more compelling story or maybe not. This one is a challenge right now, but I like challenges.

It could be as simple as the main characters dad (who he is estranged from) is losing his home thru foreclosure and he needs X number of dollars to bail it out. Maybe he works his way across the country hustling until he gets to Florida where his dad lives, and intends to give him all the money he makes along the way. There can be a catch to this ending too which I just thought of. I'm open to ideas now! We have some creative people on here. By the way I already have written and worked on a couple of scripts before so I understand the format. Much different than a book!

I didn't mean one story like the sting, I meant the quality movie that it was. For sure, IMO, the new movie should showcase an ongoing series of hustles and crazy stuff. There's enough 'stuff' in the pool world it's amazing fodder for the screen.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would consider what made The Hustler and TCOM so succesful in relation to every other dog pile crap film out there

keep this in mind with your screenplay, imo the actual books were really not so great

I have that in mind right now. I want a realistic script with real characters that don't need a lot of profanity to prop them up. I believe that I can write like real people talk. I'm getting an idea of how this can go now. The feedback here is good.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I didn't mean one story like the sting, I meant the quality movie that it was. For sure, IMO, the new movie should showcase an ongoing series of hustles and crazy stuff. There's enough 'stuff' in the pool world it's amazing fodder for the screen.

That's what I'm looking for, all the crazy stuff that we've seen.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
There are not but a few folks in the industry who could make this work and I believe you are one of them Jay. You have the experiences and knowledge of many years in the game and asking for help from your "online family" is a great idea. I am looking forward to seeing this transpire and wish you a smooth time in the production.

Thanks for the words of encouragement. There will be obstacles, of that I have no doubt. I start today!

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
You got to at least get Joe Rogan to do a cameo appearance

Attachments

• abe1dceb7b847d639a10086a9ade9f1e.jpg
    abe1dceb7b847d639a10086a9ade9f1e.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 1,521

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but one that I have used over the years is to put an object ball in the jaws frozen to the right side of the right corner pocket. Stand at the the opposite corner of the table. Ask how many tries that you can get if you spin the cue ball with your hand 3 rails and make it in the corner without touching the object ball.

Obviously you couldn't do this on tables with 4.5 inch pockets or tighter. I've only done this on bar tables. The clearance is so small but with enough tries I can do it at a higher rate than 50%. I try to get 25 tries but will make the bet with 20 tries.

Please send this kind of stuff to me via e-mail so I can catalog it. Thanks!

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Movies are passé. I'd suggest making this into a Netflix/HBO/Showtime/Amazon/etc. series. It should be easier to sell since a pilot show has much lower production costs and risks.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perfect scene for a movie would be the epic hustle we all heard on this forum. The hustler walks into a pool hall and announces he could knock over a bowling pin by throwing a playing card at it from behind the line in the bowling alley. He then said he would need all 52 cards and some assumed he would just throw the whole pack but he clarified that he would be throw in the cards one at a time.

Everyone in the pool hall that against him and they shut the pool hall down and walked across the street to the bowling alley. He got down low and flicked the first card and it stuck underneath the bowling pin. It became easier and easier to land cards underneath the wedges of cards is the wedge got bigger and it began making the bowling pin lien once it was leaning Farenuff he started aiming at the top of the bowling pin and he knocked it over for movie purposes we will say with the final card. You’re welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bstroud

Deceased
Jay,

I remember a lot of good hustles but the best ones always took days or sometimes weeks to lay down properly.Not sure that would work in a film.

Several good ones staring Ty and UJ that did not take too long.

Bill S.