JB Weld Seam Chip Fix

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
The next time I run across a 3 piece slate put together with JB weld, I'll be sure to pass along the work to whom ever thinks JB Weld is great for filling chips in the slates...as well as filling the seams with too!!
I wasn't the one suggesting JB weld and made no comment about JB weld.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I wasn't the one suggesting JB weld and made no comment about JB weld.

I know, but the problem is, there's people out there that read these great ideas, then try to implement them on their own, then when they do, they just screw things up because they have no idea what they're doing. I had a customer once that called me to take his 3 piece slate 9ft apart because he was moving. Nice GC1, but he himself had JB Welded the slates together because he got tire of them coming apart. Once I got to the point of taking the slates apart, I packed up my tools and told him to call me when HE gets them apart. I got a call later that same day....asking me if I had another set of 9ft slates because he BROKE one of the slates trying to get them apart!!! I told him no, I don't have any spare slates just laying around. He asked what he should do then....I told him to call someone else!!

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
I know, but the problem is, there's people out there that read these great ideas, then try to implement them on their own, then when they do, they just screw things up because they have no idea what they're doing. I had a customer once that called me to take his 3 piece slate 9ft apart because he was moving. Nice GC1, but he himself had JB Welded the slates together because he got tire of them coming apart. Once I got to the point of taking the slates apart, I packed up my tools and told him to call me when HE gets them apart. I got a call later that same day....asking me if I had another set of 9ft slates because he BROKE one of the slates trying to get them apart!!! I told him no, I don't have any spare slates just laying around. He asked what he should do then....I told him to call someone else!!
I don't envy you dealing with the people and workmanship you have to sort out. Since I am only dealing with my own stuff I can take days to set up my table and try to correct every sin of previous owner and mechanic. I wouldn't be able to make a living at it. I have the luxury of stopping at any point and taking a day to repair a bunch of stripped/loose screw holes or whatever else I find that isn't quite right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I don't envy you dealing with the people and workmanship you have to sort out. Since I am only dealing with my own stuff I can take days to set up my table and try to correct every sin of previous owner and mechanic. I wouldn't be able to make a living at it. I have the luxury of stopping at any point and taking a day to repair a bunch of stripped/loose screw holes or whatever else I find that isn't quite right.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The spread of misinformation is real. People post their "genius" ideas on here that have no idea what they are doing and others try it.....
I hate walking into a room and having to leave because the issues are totally not worth trying to battle.... Crappy part is that sometimes you can't see any of the debauchery until you dive in and then it is too late!

Trent from Toledo

p.s. bond works great.

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have an old GC1 that I have done a few repairs on by myself (broken slate, stripped nut plates, etc.). Every single time I followed the generous advice of RKC on how to do the repair. Every single time it has come out perfectly. I'm seeing a pattern here... :)

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
I have an old GC1 that I have done a few repairs on by myself (broken slate, stripped nut plates, etc.). Every single time I followed the generous advice of RKC on how to do the repair. Every single time it has come out perfectly. I'm seeing a pattern here... :)

You hit the nail right on the head! Trying to re-invent the wheel is silly, RKC's methods are tried, true and tested. I also have never had issues with any advice he has given me! We are all lucky to have a person dedicated to helping our industry.

Trent