Nickel or dime tip shape? Or is it the tip?

Magnumsk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a relatively new player. My cue came with a Kamui black soft tip. Because my stroke is a slow work in progress, I tend to unintentionally spin the ball so I use a nickel shape on the tip. My thinking is a larger surface area might decrease the spin. My questions are:

1) Is my thinking correct on the nickel shape decreasing spin?

2) Does a Kamui soft tip loose it's shaping quicker than other tips? I had to reshape my tip during a 2-hour practice session after shaping it before I started. Is something else that I'm not aware of that might be a factor?

DJSTEVEZ

Professor of Human Moves
Silver Member
I prefer a Dime radious. It's the Tip Tool that you use that'll get you there, not something that's dependent on the actual tip. This tool pretty much idiot proofs the process.

This, the "Last 4 Ever Tip Tool" is the best damn Tip Tool available to man or beast...and believe me, I've tried them all. It's a little pricey, but it'll replace all the tip tools in your case. It's made amazingly well

1b429df9a833856530040b51388145a8

www.last4ever.com

You said you have a "soft tip". Those tend to "mushroom" or grow over the side of the ferrule.
This is the best tool I've ever found to "treat" that. Joe Porpers Cue Tip Burnisher

yhst-22823734194310_2269_113277522

Last edited:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Tips are confusing. Softer tips will deform and will require maintenance more often than harder tips as a rule.
Tip manufacturers started to make tips using layers to combat the aforementioned deformation.... it worked,
somewhat. But layered tips still deform and still require maintenance, but not as often as a soft single layer
tip like an Elk Master or Triumph.

I'm not going to get into Nickle or Dime because.... well honestly, I just don't have the energy right here and
now for you (apologies). Suffice to say it's best you just use trial and error to find what suits your own unique
stroke and style of play. The same can be said of your choice of tip and cue and table and life... :)

Warm regards,

Lesh

Last edited:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer a nickel shape.

When I first get a tip installed I use nickel and I shape it only one time. After that I leave it alone. I tend to use harder tips so they don't deform but that's just me and I'm lucky to run 50 balls on a good day - just a banger.

If you look at how I do it and do something else you are probably doing it right LOL.

Magnumsk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm very grateful for all of your replies. You've given me many helpful things to consider.

SARDiver

JCC Chief
Silver Member
I like nickel shape. Forgiving enough if I'm slightly off on a straight shot, but plenty of shape to allow cueball magic when needed.