We have Confirmation Danny we are waiting on you !!!

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
actually playing the regular way can be very unlucky.everytime you miss you might hook the guy etc.

playing the 20 innings way we both get the same starting shot and have a chance to control our own destiny.

believe me its a better way to find the best player.

funny thing is harriman seems to be missing the point. whos the better player doesnt matter. he thinks that if he beats me at pool,then the 99 percent on tour who cant stand him will all of a sudden think hes allright.

you lou are a good player but believe me you would have a much better chance beating me playing normal rules then the way i propose. it gets rid of luck and lets both players have equal chance to prove themselves.

plus its the only way i can play him without having to be in same room. he didnt say i cant be in same room as him ,i came up with that because im tired of his crazy excuses and lies. for example if you swipe chalk off table accidentally then after he loses he says you threw it at him.hes brutal

John, I get what you're saying (and thanks for the compliment after how I played at the DCC this year).

But, if a match is long enough, the luck evens out. That's probably one of the reasons they used to play those big long honking matches of 1500 points, long ago. Anywhos, I still think head-to-head is the way to go. Defense, as you know, is a critical part of the game too. Aluminum foil caps and ferrule protectors can be issued and used by those that feel they need them. Chalk can be put on long strings hung from the ceiling too :) Otherwise, I guess we should all be playing the ghost at whatever tournaments we attend in the future.

Lou Figueroa

john schmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yes

John, I get what you're saying (and thanks for the compliment after how I played at the DCC this year).

But, if a match is long enough, the luck evens out. That's probably one of the reasons they used to play those big long honking matches of 1500 points, long ago. Anywhos, I still think head-to-head is the way to go. Aluminum foil caps and ferrule protectors can be issued and used by those that feel they need them. Chalk can be put on long strings hung from the ceiling too :) Otherwise, I guess we should all be playing the ghost at whatever tournaments we attend in the future.

Lou Figueroa

we should be playing the ghost at every tourney. less luck. thats what the golfers do ,they play the course then you play the course and see who plays best.

the ghost is the way to go.less arguments,less luck etc etc.
thats what im trying to do with danny

sausage

Banned
john: even though i don't think that you should give harriman the time of day, i agree with lou. as, "mr. 400" you have already won the ghost match against the entire planet. getting the "luck-odds" in your favor is all part of pool as is mild sharking and intimidation et...

when ali was fighting foreman, ali said, in a clinch, "is that all you got?". mind you, foreman recently lifted joe frazier off the canvas with an uppercut. that helped to psyche out the big brute and he eventually tired himself out by throwing hay-maker after hay-maker at the rope-a-doped ali.

he thinks that if he beats me at pool,then the 99 percent on tour who cant stand him will all of a sudden think hes allright.
exactly.... this is why i think that you should ignore him. he has nothing to lose and you have nothing to win.

selftaut

straight pool nut
Silver Member
First time I saw this thread and I can't say that I agree with this if the tables are being used during qualifying hours. I suppose if its "after hours" it might work out. These 2 guys will tie a table up for a long long time with 20 innings, maybe 2 days. And I also really don't see what it would solve to be honest, they are both great players capable of beating anyone on the planet at any given time, but they genually don't like each other period. This match would not mend that in the least, might even add fire to the pot.

Kev

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
"He knows too well how to manipulate the mob."

Count me in the camp that says this whole thing has been a mess. Two guys are allowed to not like each other without being called out on the internet. Their feud was not bad for pool, because really, not many people knew or were in a position to "hurt pool" if they did know. The only thing it was good for was constructing a train wreck of a thread.

I am not blaming anyone because it was like a snowball rolling down a hill. There is a certain mob mentality that took place in the other thread which does not belong in this forum. Yes, Danny was completely at fault for beginning all this, and John had a right to respond, but after that all hell broke loose.

I've had great interactions with both these guys and reading that thread was brutal. This challenge has the potential to be a lot of fun, but my impression is that neither of these guys really wants to do it, they'd rather just enjoy themselves at the expo. And I don't see many scenarios where this challenge mends fences between these two. It's just sensationalist nonsense for us all to watch. I'm not saying I'm above it, I'm just saying I wish none of it happened.

I was going to apologize for being a downer, but I've thought about it and I don't think I have to. I've been wanting to write something like this for a few days now and just can't hold back any longer. I know both these guys are big boys and can talk for themselves, so maybe I'm out of line for saying all this. Maybe they both do really want to play. I just know that these threads have been horrible.

- Steve

Steve:

Count me in that camp, too. When I first saw these threads with the renewed banter between these two guys (and the "mob" egging them on), I was immediately reminded of the movie, "The Gladiator" -- characters, famous quotes, and all. We have John S. as Maximus, Danny H. as Commodus, and Charlie (ForumGhost) as Proximo.

"Maximus: I am required to kill, so I kill. That is enough.
Proximo: That's enough for the provinces, but not enough for Rome."

"Proximo: He knows too well how to manipulate the mob."

"Proximo: ...But as for me? I'm an entertainer."

These threads have had more drama over the past week than even the 171 minute extended version of The Gladiator! One would expect to see this in a 9-ball or Action forum, but certainly not here in the gentlemanly game of 14.1.

My $0.02,
-Sean

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Steve:

Count me in that camp, too. When I first saw these threads with the renewed banter between these two guys (and the "mob" egging them on), I was immediately reminded of the movie, "The Gladiator" -- characters, famous quotes, and all. We have John S. as Maximus, Danny H. as Commodus, and Charlie (ForumGhost) as Proximo.

"Maximus: I am required to kill, so I kill. That is enough.
Proximo: That's enough for the provinces, but not enough for Rome."

"Proximo: He knows too well how to manipulate the mob."

"Proximo: ...But as for me? I'm an entertainer."

These threads have had more drama over the past week than even the 171 minute extended version of The Gladiator! One would expect to see this in a 9-ball or Action forum, but certainly not here in the gentlemanly game of 14.1.

My $0.02,
-Sean

lol.

So when John (Maximus) gets to the line: "At my signal, unleash hell" what happens?

Lou Figueroa
picturing catapults loaded with chalk
and a mechanical bridge crashing down on a ferrule :)

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
lol.

So when John (Maximus) gets to the line: "At my signal, unleash hell" what happens?

Lou Figueroa
picturing catapults loaded with chalk
and a mechanical bridge crashing down on a ferrule :)

It figgers that you, Lou, would take this in the gut-busting direction! :D

I almost effected a hernia upon myself laughing so hard.

I only wanted to illustrate the similarity to the "mob" mentality exhibited in the movie, exploited and exacerbated by Proximo, back-pedaling and saying "it's only his job." But come to think of it, there are so many other lines in this movie that are apropos to the situation/thread at hand. What funny visuals I get when thinking about various scenes in the movie, as applied here, with John's and Danny's faces pasted upon the characters in the movie! Gosh, someone good with PhotoShop could have a field day with this one!

-Sean <-- whistling innocently

ForumGhost516

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Listen no one can lie and say they wouldn't love to see this happen and if you want to compare me to proximo go for it. I relish it in fact. If i can bring matches and games than so be it.

The simple fact still remains that John has stepped up and Danny hasn't end of story. It would also appear that he has turned a blind eye to this thread yet feels compelled to jab at John in the other.

So you know what. Marc Aurelias Griffin had an idea for Rome and this may not be it but you know what this is the reality of the situation. Rivalries are good for any sport. Take it as you want.

I am apparently after all only an entertainer. Oh and for the record im not back peddling I think this match should happen. Win Or Lose Either way something new and something different needs to happen within the hallowed walls of the 14.1 forum.

I keep hearing how people can see this happening in the action or main forum but why not here. Build up the action. Lets do something a little different for once. Dont get me wrong the civility of the 14.1 forum is refreshing however it does get a little stuffy when nothing new really ever happens. While i find the cue table layouts fascinating and the talk of runs etc. There hasnt been anything exciting in a while. Yes the event I am helping to put on is exciting at SBE as it is the first of its kind there and I have been a big part of making it happen but this is something entirely different.

Do you know why the WWE has been so successful? Ill let you in on a little hint its not because of the muscle bound men beating up on eachother its because of the story lines and rivalries. Pool is dying folks lets face it. Yes streaming has brought it back a little here and there but the WPBA cant even get their act together and they were supposed to be this incredible tour that we should all model after.

So you know what I dont apologize for bringing the people what they want. Proximo served a purpose and while I would much rather be Maximus Or Schmidt in this situation at least Proximo doesnt die in the end of the movie and neither will I. I will watch the drama unfold from a distance and listen to the throngs and the masses as they cheer on the blood shed.

Bring it on.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Listen no one can lie and say they wouldn't love to see this happen and if you want to compare me to proximo go for it. I relish it in fact. If i can bring matches and games than so be it.

The simple fact still remains that John has stepped up and Danny hasn't end of story. It would also appear that he has turned a blind eye to this thread yet feels compelled to jab at John in the other.

So you know what. Marc Aurelias Griffin had an idea for Rome and this may not be it but you know what this is the reality of the situation. Rivalries are good for any sport. Take it as you want.

I am apparently after all only an entertainer. Oh and for the record im not back peddling I think this match should happen. Win Or Lose Either way something new and something different needs to happen within the hallowed walls of the 14.1 forum.

I keep hearing how people can see this happening in the action or main forum but why not here. Build up the action. Lets do something a little different for once. Dont get me wrong the civility of the 14.1 forum is refreshing however it does get a little stuffy when nothing new really ever happens. While i find the cue table layouts fascinating and the talk of runs etc. There hasnt been anything exciting in a while. Yes the event I am helping to put on is exciting at SBE as it is the first of its kind there and I have been a big part of making it happen but this is something entirely different.

Do you know why the WWE has been so successful? Ill let you in on a little hint its not because of the muscle bound men beating up on eachother its because of the story lines and rivalries. Pool is dying folks lets face it. Yes streaming has brought it back a little here and there but the WPBA cant even get their act together and they were supposed to be this incredible tour that we should all model after.

So you know what I dont apologize for bringing the people what they want. Proximo served a purpose and while I would much rather be Maximus Or Schmidt in this situation at least Proximo doesnt die in the end of the movie and neither will I. I will watch the drama unfold from a distance and listen to the throngs and the masses as they cheer on the blood shed.

Bring it on.

I can appreciate that you're trying to get -- what would admittedly be an interesting match -- to happen. But honestly, I think any allusion between WWE and your basic issue 14.1 crowd doesn't really work out too good. It's like saying what works good for NASCAR works for curling.

Rivalries can be great. But do any of us really want all this baloney about past indiscretions and allegations of nefarious deeds and motives flying back and forth between two guys like John and Danny? I mean really: both these guys are tremendous 14.1 players. It is more than a bit disappointing to see their "rivalry" devolve to the level of two grade school kids on the playground.

Danny should not have started this most recent pissing contest in the first place and IMO he should take a moment and meditate on all the paranoid baloney he has in his head about John. And if he wants a shot at John, or any other player for that matter, he should practice up, get his financing in order, and issue and make an offer.

Lou Figueroa
contracts,
surveillance cameras,
appearance fees,
oh my!

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
[...]
Lou Figueroa
contracts,
surveillance cameras,
appearance fees,
oh my!

Sounds like an AC/DC song:

Concrete shoes...
Cyanide...
TNT...
Neckties...
Contracts...
High voltage!!

:D

-Sean <-- dirty deeds, done dirt cheap!

P.S.: oh yes, I agree with your analogies about what's good for Nascar ain't necessarily good for curling. The pettiness that's been posted here in the 14.1 forum doesn't automatically translate into an "opportunity" for the mob mentality to "create action" from it. I personally come here to the sanity of the 14.1 forums to get away from the craziness of the Main and Action Room forums. I look at it this way, with this analogy: just because I work in I.T., doesn't mean that when I get home, I "appreciate" you calling me and wanting me -- on my own personal time -- to come over and look at your computer problem "because I work in I.T. and therefore I must 'love' doing this kind of stuff 24/7."

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like an AC/DC song:

Concrete shoes...
Cyanide...
TNT...
Neckties...
Contracts...
High voltage!!

:D

-Sean <-- dirty deeds, done dirt cheap!

P.S.: oh yes, I agree with your analogies about what's good for Nascar ain't necessarily good for curling. The pettiness that's been posted here in the 14.1 forum doesn't automatically translate into an "opportunity" for the mob mentality to "create action" from it. I personally come here to the sanity of the 14.1 forums to get away from the craziness of the Main and Action Room forums. I look at it this way, with this analogy: just because I work in I.T., doesn't mean that when I get home, I "appreciate" you calling me and wanting me -- on my own personal time -- to come over and look at your computer problem "because I work in I.T. and therefore I must 'love' doing this kind of stuff 24/7."

I'm not that sophisticated and edgy and am compelled to admit I was thinking more "Wizard of Oz." :-o

Lou Figueroa

Rich93

A Small Time Charlie
Silver Member
Danny's comment in the other thread about the laser tells me that, at least when it comes to John, Danny can become a little unhinged. And that's when this rivalry ceases to be fun, or should cease to be fun.