Pool Cue Values

acho7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need a resource to help estimate the value of some collectible pool cues left to me by my dad. Any help would be appreciated.

SC02GTP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can always post some pictures here on AZB and give as much information as you can on the cues. Some folks here have a wealth of knowledge to offer if given the chance.

The Blue Book is great for information, not so great with prices. The book was written quite a while ago and the prices have since changed. I have the second and third editions and use them sometimes even though the priceing is out of line on many cues.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need a resource to help estimate the value of some collectible pool cues left to me by my dad. Any help would be appreciated.

Keep in mind that almost all of these type of things end up being just old cheap cues, "collectible" is often just a term people use to try sell old stuff, valuable or not.

acho7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
G. Szamboti

Here's an example of one of dad's cues:

"Gus Szamboti Cue: SW 19.6 oz. 3 original shafts: 2 are 12 ¾ mm in very good Condition, 1 is 13 mm in very good to excellent condition. This particular cue is very rare for several reasons. The cue is all original, meaning that Gus Szamboti is the only cue maker to do any work on this cue. The shafts, finish, and leather wrap (rare) are all original. To my knowledge, Gus made very, very few cues with purpleheart prongs, making this cue extremely rare, Over the past 15 years, I’ve seen less than 5 cues. Also included is an original shipping box from Gus. The original owner of this cue was a well-known player in the Massachusetts area." - Mark Kulungian

J Layer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Post some pictures in the cue gallery you'll find how much information will come your way !

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
Here's an example of one of dad's cues:

"Gus Szamboti Cue: SW 19.6 oz. 3 original shafts: 2 are 12 ¾ mm in very good Condition, 1 is 13 mm in very good to excellent condition. This particular cue is very rare for several reasons. The cue is all original, meaning that Gus Szamboti is the only cue maker to do any work on this cue. The shafts, finish, and leather wrap (rare) are all original. To my knowledge, Gus made very, very few cues with purpleheart prongs, making this cue extremely rare, Over the past 15 years, I’ve seen less than 5 cues. Also included is an original shipping box from Gus. The original owner of this cue was a well-known player in the Massachusetts area." - Mark Kulungian

hit up classiccues...maybe joe will get with mark.....he might want it back...post pics and there are plenty of people who will tell you the value of the cue in todays market...

acho7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
G. Szamboti Purpleheart Cue

I took some pictures and they are attached.

Attachments

• G. Szamboti Purpleheart (3).jpg
    G. Szamboti Purpleheart (3).jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,783
  • G. Szamboti Purpleheart (1).jpg
    G. Szamboti Purpleheart (1).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,792
  • G. Szamboti Purpleheart (2).jpg
    G. Szamboti Purpleheart (2).jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 1,804

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
If this is representative of the rest of your dad's collection then get it appraised. You can contact Mark Kulungian at www.classiccues.com. If New York isn't too far for you, also check out Ken Kerner (HighEndCues on AZ) and Victor Stein at Blatt Billiards.

tattoo

Tatuaje in the house🤘🏻
Silver Member
very unique cue here....not sure what i am looking at but it is cool looking...if it is a szamboti it is a rare bird....

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
This is a great cue. I think Mark wrote that letter in the late 90's early 2000's. This is one of the very few PH Gus cues there are. As far as a value, I won't publically put a value on this cue because you can ask what you want. If you still have the shipping box that will add to the collectibility.

JV

acho7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
G. Szamboti Purpleheart Cue

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful responses.

I would like to sell the collection but my inclination is to wait for better times.

And btw, this cue does come with its original shipping box from Gus Szamboti.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
you have an excellent down payment on a luxury car. :wink:

and you are receiving very good advice above.

I would selfishly second the idea of your posting pics and whatever descriptions you can here on az of the other cues you have, as many of us love to get a look at such, *non* run of the mill, items.

good luck with your cues.

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

Huntian6

Cues and Guns!
Silver Member
That is a very nice and rare Gus! What else is in the collection? How many cues?

Very intrigued !

Todd

acho7

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dad's collection consists of Balabushka, Gus Szamboti, Barry Szamboti, Palmer, Stroud, Ginacue, Southwest, Tascarella and a couple others. I will put together a summary and post it with pictures.

A7

metallicane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your dad sounds like an astute man having all of those gems. Beautiful cue in the picture though.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My dad's collection consists of Balabushka, Gus Szamboti, Barry Szamboti, Palmer, Stroud, Ginacue, Southwest, Tascarella and a couple others. I will put together a summary and post it with pictures.

A7

If you are putting those up for sale, your dad just bought you a house. I'm sure many collectors and dealers are right now planning on how to become real good friends with you :smile:

Type79

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cues That You Own

This should be a good lesson for those of us who own valuables to keep information on them close-by or better-yet, with the cues (or other items) themselves, so that our loved-ones who we leave behind will have an idea of their value.

To someone uninterested in billiards, a Balabushka looks the same as a $300 cue and would sell it for that much when receiving such an offer which is damn shame for someone who doesn't know how or where to obtain accurate information.

Jay