Wpa contract

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
AN OPEN LETTER TO IAN ANDERSON, WPA President
We have been good friends or many years and I know just how hard you work to keep the game alive. You are a good man (honest and conscientious) and I have supported you for many years now. So it is with a heavy heart that I take this action in criticising you.
But what has happened in Qatar with the World 9 Ball is kind of a watershed.
For what is the flagship tournament of our game to go ahead with no international TV
coverage is a travesty and with the announcement about this lack of coverage to be made
public only after the tournament had started is even more ludicrous.
Why was this scenario not taken care of many months ago and an alternative plan put
in place. A World Championship in any sport is the pinnacle of the competitors year and to have their efforts and achievements not made visible to the world makes staging the competition just a complete waste of time and not worthwhile holding.
I know nothing is as clear cut as it seems but this is a basic promotional necessity. I know that sponsors are not beating a path to your door. But notwithstanding that I feel that you have
been setting the bar too low in dealing with potential sponsors and in doing so you are not
getting the respect that is commensurate with the effort that you put in.

Another issue that needs addressing is a WPA Players Individual Membership. You may
have the support of some of the top players but it is only lukewarm.
They need to be enfranchised and have more of a say on matters than some of the
obscure (and irrelevant ) officials who have populated the WPA Board since it’s inception.
You have agreed with me many times in the past about the need for this membership
category. But your back burner must be getting burnt out.
The WPA is not serving the game well and you could compare it to an old jalopy. You are in the driving seat but the engine is missing and the fuel tank is empty.
If the vehicle cannot be serviced then maybe it is time for the Wrecking Yard.

This was an Open letter to the President of the WPA. I received no acknowledgement or reply to it then but I wondered if this is a belated attempt to get this overdue scenario to become a reality.
I hope not because the whole thing is clumsy, misguided and ill timed.
Any player signing up to it now would be well advised to wait for the Next Big Thing to come along.
At this point in time the WPA are a self elected, self perpetuating body that has no mandate to claim that it represent players. Correct me if you think that I am wrong but the last “genuine” player to hold a WPA Board position was Jorgen Sandman almost 20 years ago.
The existing Board includes worthy individuals from Australia, Singapore, Croatia, South Africa which are by no stretch of the imagination Frontline Pool Countries.
Nobody should expect these people to be dynamic, driven industry leaders capable of taking the game into the 21st century.
This contract business should serve as a prompter for what must be done (and done quickly).
The WPA holds a place on the World Confederation of Billiards Sports purely on the basis that they say that THEY SPEAK FOR THE POOL PLAYERS .
THEY DONT?

RODNEY MORRIS Do the represent you?
MIKA IMMONEN Do they represent you?
RAJ HUNDAL Do they represent you?
Is there any pro who would be prepared to say that they have any input into the game that put food on the table for them and their families.

The WCBS is their legitimate answer.
This organisation represents various disciplines of cue sports. It is upwardly responsible to only the International Olympic Committee.
What needs to happen now is for a nucleus of top players to make a binding commitment to each other and form a meaningful Players Organisation capable of challenging the right of the WPA to claim the mantle of Players Representatives.
The WCBS are headed up by World Snooker Chairman Jason Ferguson. He is a well
respected person in the cuesports world and here they could find a sympathetic ear
for such a cause.
Sure we have been down this road before – with Don Mackey (PBTA), CJ Wiley (PCA), Kevin Trudeau (IPT), Johnny Archer (can’t remember the acronym but that was really just a
Dragon Subdivision).
But this time any such organisation would have the political support at a high level.
I have been doing some research on this project for a little while now. But the reason
that I have not pursued it full tilt is that there is no obvious leader to hold them together.
If this seems a harsh judgement on the players then I would be happy to see someone who disagees with me to step up to the plate and take on this task.
This Risk Without Reward Contract is divisive and meaningless and should be winging it’s way to a Wastebasket Near You.

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Contracts for playing pool carry as much weight as contracts to play miniature golf. Actually, a mini golf contract would be more valuable imo.

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
So you sent a letter recently to the WPA complaining that they did not have player membership.

They enacted player membership.

You attack them on an AZB thread about enacting player membership.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "player membership" Doug is suggesting is a far cry from the one attempting to be enacted now by the WPA. He's talking about a pro player representative on the WPA board or the WCBS board. That's not even dreamed about by the current WPA, who are so disorganized that they cannot even run their own ship, without running into some kind of problems...and it has happened several times now. BTW, Celtic, Doug is a very respected member of the international pool community, as well as a very respected and longtime poster here on AzB. What he is doing is letting us judge for ourselves the incompetence of the current leadership, both organizationally, and pro player-wise. It's all chiefs, and no indians! Been that way for decades, on both sides. Thanks Doug, for sharing! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

So you sent a letter recently to the WPA complaining that they did not have player membership.

They enacted player membership.

You attack them on an AZB thread about enacting player membership.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Needs pictures

pulled it of some chinese, maybe korean or jap, the asian person's FB, it could've been a black or indian maybe pakistani (best not use names, and be ambiguous)

A license to participate in WPA events?
The license also requires permission to participate in non-sanctioned events.

To get access to prize money requires a license. How many situations can you create that are not cited in detail by the license agreement?

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
The license is tournament promoters locking in future entry fees and establishing punishment policies against unruly players.

Promoters need the ability to eject players and revoke their license from an event.

It makes sense because if you have friends and want to help them, screw over people that you don't know.

The publicity thing is small potatoes, being available isn't the same as obligated to appear.

The big items are loss of license and the lack of conditions stated for how that can happen.

Promoters win big because the definition of a promoter requesting a penalty is loosely defined and the conditions for when a penalty arises are not articulated. The whole request of penalty process is vague and leaves too much to the imagination.

Players not signing the license contract
will they be allowed to participate in WPA events, major question
is a major legal issue.

the analogy to practicing law or medicine does not apply.
In a legal mediation battle, analogies are for losers.

Dont think playing pool is like practicing law or medicine.

Some states have a right to work, meaning you can work multiple jobs, an employer can't prevent you from doing that.
Some companies that "employ" people have other agreements like not working for a competing company.

The WPA creating a "global license" for events around the world is a first of its kind.

The main reason for the license is to assure all the best players show up at specific events.
When events overlap and players have to choose their best chance to win or place, promoters hate it.

Promoters want the best player list to advertise, to get the best spectator sales.

Last edited:

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The "player membership" Doug is suggesting is a far cry from the one attempting to be enacted now by the WPA. He's talking about a pro player representative on the WPA board or the WCBS board. That's not even dreamed about by the current WPA, who are so disorganized that they cannot even run their own ship, without running into some kind of problems...and it has happened several times now. BTW, Celtic, Doug is a very respected member of the international pool community, as well as a very respected and longtime poster here on AzB. What he is doing is letting us judge for ourselves the incompetence of the current leadership, both organizationally, and pro player-wise. It's all chiefs, and no indians! Been that way for decades, on both sides. Thanks Doug, for sharing! :thumbup:

Scott Lee

Fact is they don't need one USA has a seat at the table Skip Nemecek
Board Member
Chicago, USA
It's a voluntary sign up thier not breaking anyone's arms no one has to sign up or play in any of thier sanctioned events , it's well within thier right to impose thier rules if a tounoment wants it to be a sanctioned event and as we have seen with Tom Brady courts generally don't side with players in these cases
The US open upped the money to attract world wide players that simply would not come to the USA to play otherwise look at that field this yr easily the best in yrs from a worldwide standpoint and that's the ultimate goal
The truth is we need more high entry fee events sanctioned by some kind of governing body and weed out all but the few capable of compeating at the higher level consistently and do it looking and acting professional at the same sametime I'd love to see some gamesmanship between shots never over the shot but just to make the product more appealing.. ok maybe that's to much to ask :rolleyes:

justnum

Silver Member
WPA Contract

The document

acontract.jpg

acontract2.jpg

pro9dg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Scott Lee

Scott you are an Oasis of understanding in a Quagmire of ignorance. I am not 100% opposed to the Contract's contents. But it offers nothing in the way of access to decision making for the players. I still believe that a PLAYER'S ORGANISATION - FOR THE PLAYERS is the way forward.

But I do take issue with some of the misconceptions The WPA is not some glamorous cash rich organisation.
Forget Golf's West Palm Beach or Tennis's Forest Hills. Pool is still just sport run from the kitchen table of a One Man Band.
It is run on a shoestring because unsubstantiated allegations of corruption and back handers to officers of the WPA are just not true.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
The contract is simply an attempt by the WPA to monopolize the tournament industry and force non-WPA tournament promoters to join the organization. (i.e. if you -- Mr. Tournament Promoter -- don't join WPA none of the players will play in your event).

Some people think this is a good idea. I don't think it is. There are too few people willing to risk investing in a pool tournament; making it more difficult for them will only reduce their numbers even further.

Of course there are other elements in the contract, but they're all nickel-and-dime stuff.

justnum

Silver Member
It is also an attempt to legitimately promote events to larger sponsors.

They can say we have rules and policies like larger sports entertainment organizations.

Whether or not this is needed right now has not been explained?

The great big sponsor to save pool, should have some ground rules set before investing.

Because the players are just the product, the promoters influence finances.

Players show up for a few days of playnig pool.

Promoters work all year like dogs, for a chance to make money. That means all year no income, until they have the big event. This contract is just to help the events go smoothly.

All the walkout talk and boycotts, no one will invest when players think they are more important than promoters.

I mean Strickland, Archer,, ... all these older touring American players can easily be replaced with foreign players, they might draw the same size crowds.

The contract is simply an attempt by the WPA to monopolize the tournament industry and force non-WPA tournament promoters to join the organization. (i.e. if you -- Mr. Tournament Promoter -- don't join WPA none of the players will play in your event).

Some people think this is a good idea. I don't think it is. There are too few people willing to risk investing in a pool tournament; making it more difficult for them will only reduce their numbers even further.

Of course there are other elements in the contract, but they're all nickel-and-dime stuff.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
all these older touring American players can easily be replaced with foreign players, they might draw the same size crowds.

But therein lies the problem: there are no crowds.

Just because it's a WPA event, doesn't mean more people are going to watch it. (Actually, from what I can gather, WPA appears to be a rather poor marketer of events).

Sponsors only care about secondary stuff like Sanctioning Body, etc. AFTER you've met their requirements for providing LOTS of viewers. Otherwise just having a sanctioning body like WPA gets you nothing. It just means there will be fewer tournaments because promoters will look at WPA membership as just another cost/headache/risk.

justnum

Silver Member
You make it sound like the WPA

wants to restrict when pro players compete in events.

We all know how much money the pros make and they can afford to limit themselves to the most regarded WPA events.

It makes sense WPA players could get hurt in other events, just like how college restricts athletes

Promoters are protecting players future interests, not their immediate interests

But therein lies the problem: there are no crowds.

Just because it's a WPA event, doesn't mean more people are going to watch it. (Actually, from what I can gather, WPA appears to be a rather poor marketer of events).

Sponsors only care about secondary stuff like Sanctioning Body, etc. AFTER you've met their requirements for providing LOTS of viewers. Otherwise just having a sanctioning body like WPA gets you nothing. It just means there will be fewer tournaments because promoters will look at WPA membership as just another cost/headache/risk.

Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
You make it sound like the WPA wants to restrict when pro players compete in events.

That's exactly what WPA wants to do. Read the contract; do you really think they care about Player Meetings or Publicity Appearances, or that those make any difference to the future of pool? No.

They want to use the players to force promoters to put on WPA-sanctioned (i.e. fees paid to WPA) events. An organization can get away with it (PGA, NBA, NFL, etc.) if it brings real value to the table (and there are already a lot of viewers/sponsors that provide the cash flow). But WPA brings nothing.

I'd like to hear why a promoter should put on a WPA-sanctioned event. You don't need WPA to draw players; the prize fund and added money do that. You don't need them for promotion since they don't do any. You don't need them for management/administration because they don't do that either. WPA is just another cost...but one that can also tell you that you have to do something that makes no sense. Too much risk for any business.

justnum

Silver Member
But the WPA helps protect players, if they need a license that means not all players can compete.

If fewer players compete, they have better chance to win prizes.

they also lose the ability to freely (wo permission) play in events they can win, when tourneys conflict

That's exactly what WPA wants to do. Read the contract; do you really think they care about Player Meetings or Publicity Appearances, or that those make any difference to the future of pool? No.

They want to use the players to force promoters to put on WPA-sanctioned (i.e. fees paid to WPA) events. An organization can get away with it (PGA, NBA, NFL, etc.) if it brings real value to the table (and there are already a lot of viewers/sponsors that provide the cash flow). But WPA brings nothing.

I'd like to hear why a promoter should put on a WPA-sanctioned event. You don't need WPA to draw players; the prize fund and added money do that. You don't need them for promotion since they don't do any. You don't need them for management/administration because they don't do that either. WPA is just another cost...but one that can also tell you that you have to do something that makes no sense. Too much risk for any business.

Last edited:

justnum

Silver Member
After the ABR interview.

Personal Gripe: Why the need to make the license year round, instead of on a per event basis?

Player Concerns:
Players can't afford to say no if they can win WPA prize money.

Pressure Tactic:
Players have signed up, so unsigned players need to sign up otherwise they lose out in events.

Response: Allow additional time for players to transition in, no full license requirements until players can understand from their backers the full effects of signing. The lack of notice and preparing for players to learn about these agreements and changes to US Open is promoter and WPA failure.

Organizers had all year to think about this, but players get a three day signup window and penalty for not signing with the pressure of expenses already put up for the event.

Vague and unclear:
-What does getting permission to participate in non-WPA events mean?

-Is permission conditional on fees or expenses?

-If a player participates in an event and needs permission, how is the permission process decided?

-What are the range of penalties for participating in other events? It will be very memorable for players to learn those penalties after being told they can't participate in a tournament.

Last edited:

xxxbilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After the ABR interview.

Personal Gripe: Why the need to make the license year round, instead of on a per event basis?

Player Concerns:
Players can't afford to say no if they can win WPA prize money.

Pressure Tactic:
Players have signed up, so unsigned players need to sign up otherwise they lose out in events.

Response: Allow additional time for players to transition in, no full license requirements until players can understand from their backers the full effects of signing. The lack of notice and preparing for players to learn about these agreements and changes to US Open is promoter and WPA failure.

Organizers had all year to think about this, but players get a three day signup window and penalty for not signing with the pressure of expenses already put up for the event.

Vague and unclear:
-What does getting permission to participate in non-WPA events mean?

-Is permission conditional on fees or expenses?

-If a player participates in an event and needs permission, how is the permission process decided?

-What are the range of penalties for participating in other events? It will be very memorable for players to learn those penalties after being told they can't participate in a tournament.
Why the lateness on this, people that want to play have a option to play the open or not ?

justnum

Silver Member
they have to sign

they already paid to show up

wpa made it convenient

just make sure players know how to avoid being penalized or ejected from a tournament

it might require translators and pictures and embarrassing demonstrations, a written description is inadequate

Why the lateness on this, people that want to play have a option to play the open or not ?