Freddie Agnir (Az member Cornerman) In The Booth @ US Open

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
As long as we're critiquing some of the others in this years US Open commentary booth, why not include our very own Freddie the Cornerman. :wink:

Freddie has been knocking around pool and pool tourneys for a long time and it's obvious he has been a good student of the game. It was enjoyable listening to him with Mark Wilson on the 2 matches I heard them do. Freddie was very accurately predicting patterns and shot options in a concise and easy to understand manner. To me, his style of commentary seems like it would have a wide appeal for all levels of player, beginners to well advanced.

Freddie also possesses an abundance of knowledge on pool history, stats, and equipment, all of which served him well in the booth.

I enjoyed his poking a little at Mark over getting Jayson Shaw signed up for Team USA and why couldn't that be done (of course, Jayson's loyalty lies with Europe) and Charlie Williams name came up since he was foreign born yet played for Team USA... That was a fun and awkward-ish moment underscoring a bit of poss MC inconsistency.

I would grade Freddie a solid A on his commentary style and presence and I wouldn't mind him being in the booth at any event. :)

What did you all think?

best,
brian kc

Last edited:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddie - A
Mark Wilson - A
Danny - C+
Ra - B

I think there was another guy but I dont' remember. We'll just say he was a B

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
As long as we're critiquing some of the others in this years US Open commentary booth, why not include our very own Freddie the Cornerman. :wink:

Freddie has been knocking around pool and pool tourneys for a long time and it's obvious he has been a good student of the game. It was enjoyable listening to him with Mark Wilson on the 2 matches I heard them do. Freddie was very accurately predicting patterns and shot options in a concise and easy to understand manner. To me, his style of commentary seems like it would have a wide appeal for all levels of player, beginners to well advanced.

Freddie also possesses an abundance of knowledge on pool history, stats, and equipment, all of which served him well in the booth.

I enjoyed his poking a little at Mark over getting Jayson Shaw signed up for Team USA and why couldn't that be done (of course, Jayson's loyalty lies with Europe) and Charlie Williams name came up since he was foreign born yet played for Team USA... That was a fun and awkward-ish moment underscoring a bit of poss MC inconsistency.

I would grade Freddie a solid A on his commentary style and presence and I wouldn't mind him being in the booth at any event. :)

What did you all think?

best,
brian kc

I agree, Freddie is excellent in the booth. He knows the game and its history, and he knows which situations that come up in a match deserve analysis, and which ones don't. His commentary is relevant and well-measured. He gets a solid A in my book as well.

Put Freddie in the booth!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Freddie is better than those regular. Speaks in clear voice, is knowledgeable and comes across as someone who does his homework before he splurts out stuff

Mark Wilson is ok but is less knowledgeable about foreign players, gets their ages and speed wrong

Pete Fleming was asking questions of Mark Wilson of his co-commentator most of time so do not see how he adds value.

That Ra was talking like DJ hip hop trying to be entertaining

Ed Liddawi is ok but was asking a lot of trivial pursuit questions

They should call up Jay, Ken Shumann, Jim Wych or even better the pro players to sit in
The pro players always give good insights :smile:

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another vote for Freddie. I haven't heard him yet in the US Open, but he was the best commentator at the summer CSI events. He was able to keep the silliness to a minimum.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member

What did you all think?

best,
brian kc

The best commentator I ever heard was the pro player Darren Appleton. This character Ra, was the worst I have ever heard.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddie has also done expert commentary at the US Amateur tournament in FL. He's top shelf

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is better than a long list of people to do that job. Especially when you consider that he is not nor has ever been a top level player. Very few seem to do it well and he is one that does.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
My favorite team in the booth was Mark and Freddie. They had a nice rapport and did a great job of presenting the match and analyzing the various options. They didn't talk too much or too little, just right IMO. I'd like to see more of these two together.
By the way Mark brings out the best in all his co-commentators. He's very good that way. He's only getting better imo. :wink:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Freddie does a great job.

Best I've heard though (alive, so not counting Grady Matthews) is John Schmidt and (hold on to your hats) Earl Strickland.

Obviously they both know the game inside and out. Schmidt is also very entertaining and funny without trying to hog the mic or ignore the game to make a joke.

Strickland was the big surprise; very complimentary of the players although clear about each's strengths and weaknesses...and very humble about his own game ("I always miss that shot..." etc. He's very focused on the game and if the other commentator strays with a story during shots, he nicely says "so let's get back to the game."

I haven't heard Appleton but I suspect he's good too. And AZ own Jerry Forsyth.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I might be too biased to give an opinion here....but I will anyways.

Things I like about Freddy Agnir

Both my grandfathers are named Fred....and of my five siblings, my brother Fred was the
most successful.
I have a good neighbor named....Fred.

Freddy Agnir's vote was the deciding one that got Danny D into the HOF.
He almost laughed at one of my jokes at the DCC.

But now as a commentator...
...Freddy is highly qualified at his profession..lotta education and knowledge involved...
....so you just know that's going to influence anything else he does.

No careless chatter here....Freddy brings the goods.

Freddy, you owe me a drink

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I might be too biased to give an opinion here....but I will anyways.

Things I like about Freddy Agnir

Both my grandfathers are named Fred....and of my five siblings, my brother Fred was the
most successful.
I have a good neighbor named....Fred.

Freddy Agnir's vote was the deciding one that got Danny D into the HOF.
He almost laughed at one of my jokes at the DCC.

But now as a commentator...
...Freddy is highly qualified at his profession..lotta education and knowledge involved...
....so you just know that's going to influence anything else he does.

No careless chatter here....Freddy brings the goods.

Freddy, you owe me a drink

Careless chatter?

Is that like a careless whisper?

https://youtu.be/I7imqO-OBVk

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The best commentator I ever heard was the pro player Darren Appleton. This character Ra, was the worst I have ever heard.

I have heard Appleton and he knows what he is talking about. The only question is "does the viewing audience know what he is talking about?" He has a very strong accent and his speaking skills aren't very polished. His writing skills are atrocious.

I haven't heard Ra (that I know of), but if he is speaking "hip hop" style, I'm sure I'd get turned off pretty quick.

I like color commentary and play-by-play, but I don't like when commentators think they have to say something on every shot or tell some kind of story that has nothing to do with anything. When they lose track of the player names and the score, they are either ill prepared or incompetent for the task at hand.

For the most part, whatever anybody says can be tuned out and you can turn on something else to listen to while watching the game. However, I like to hear the balls being struck. If I don't, I think I went deaf all of a sudden and start doing a Google search for hearing aids.

I actually like Earl in the booth. He knows exactly what is going to be done, he keeps track of the score, and he tells a few stories.

tduncan

Bet something...
Silver Member
My favorite team in the booth was Mark and Freddie. They had a nice rapport and did a great job of presenting the match and analyzing the various options. They didn't talk too much or too little, just right IMO. I'd like to see more of these two together.
By the way Mark brings out the best in all his co-commentators. He's very good that way. He's only getting better imo. :wink:

You are also one of the best!

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Agree with this 100%. Also missed your commentary. Hopefully someday, perhaps you, Mark, Freddy and possibly a playing pro will man the booth. I will not speak ill of Danny as he is an HOF'er but I personally just can't take him in the booth. Paired up with Ra, that was excruciating. Perhaps next year, you and Brady will break out the big gloves!

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks, all. It was an absolute pleasure to work with Mark Wilson and for Pat Fleming, and really a personal treat to have a part in the 41st US Open.

The Accu-stats production crew is amazing and deserved all the kudos for making these broadcasts and recordings happen.

Freddie <~~~ humbled

Last edited:

Lesh

One Hole Thinkifier
Silver Member
Freddie gets my vote. Nice guy that has the chops to back up anything he says... very important to me. I miss seeing him from time to time at the Corner Pocket.

Lesh

bustinbob_99

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Freddie

Love to hear when he is in the booth. Very knowledgable, knows his facts and doesn't waste our time. Go with him!!