Recommendations for portable oxygen concentrators?

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I've been diagnosed with lung cancer and need to be on an oxygen concentrator 24 hrs a day. No big deal, but the "portable" solution my home healthcare provider dropped off is pretty unwieldy -- 10lb tank on a push trolley with only about 3-1/2 hours of "air-time". Not so good for playing pool :) The other options they offer aren't much better.

I've been researching lighter-battery powered concentrators and hoping any of you have experience or recommendations. I'd like to keep it around 5 lbs, AC/DC with battery, shoulder-strap or back- pack carryable.

I can disconnect from the air supply for a few minutes to take a couple of shots with no problem, so it's not like it has to be on my back or shoulder all the time...but straight pool is probably out of the question. My playing partners are very accommodating and the room is very secure so theft-type stuff isn't really a consideration.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Ched

"Hey ... I'm back"!
Silver Member
I don't have any answers - but I do admire your love of life and the game. All my best.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Google. The prices vary. This unit goes up to #4

Attachments

• IMG_6287.jpg
    IMG_6287.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_6286.jpg
    IMG_6286.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Many thanks Gold Crown. Yes, the ActiveOX has been on my list from the start of my research. Looks like a nice unit, although pretty pricey.

Forgot to mention that I only need 2 liters per minute which most all of the units will do (most go up to 4-5 lpm) but it needs to be prescription quality oxygen (lots of cheap units out there that aren't).

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I've been diagnosed with lung cancer and need to be on an oxygen concentrator 24 hrs a day. No big deal, but the "portable" solution my home healthcare provider dropped off is pretty unwieldy -- 10lb tank on a push trolley with only about 3-1/2 hours of "air-time". Not so good for playing pool :) The other options they offer aren't much better.

I've been researching lighter-battery powered concentrators and hoping any of you have experience or recommendations. I'd like to keep it around 5 lbs, AC/DC with battery, shoulder-strap or back- pack carryable.

I can disconnect from the air supply for a few minutes to take a couple of shots with no problem, so it's not like it has to be on my back or shoulder all the time...but straight pool is probably out of the question. My playing partners are very accommodating and the room is very secure so theft-type stuff isn't really a consideration.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

I worked in the DME business for 10 years before moving on to another medical industry job.

Portable O2 cylinders are kinda the staple but there are several options. One of which is to use a smaller cylinder referred to as a M tank or even a C tank with an oxygen conserving device used instead of a regulator. Both size tanks are quite portable. Regulators give a constant stream of O2 while conservers only give you a pulse when you inhale. In essence, the tank last longer.

There are also some smaller portable devices. However, many home O2 suppliers may not have those as an option. But most all should have a conserving device. If your supplier doesn't have what you need, then by all means you should make some calls to some local companies. You are 100% free to switch to another company as long as your it's not thru VA or some other entity that has a contract specifically.

If I can assist you or you have any questions feel free to pm me. Best wishes and I hope it works out.

Gary

Ky Boy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many thanks Gold Crown. Yes, the ActiveOX has been on my list from the start of my research. Looks like a nice unit, although pretty pricey.

Forgot to mention that I only need 2 liters per minute which most all of the units will do (most go up to 4-5 lpm) but it needs to be prescription quality oxygen (lots of cheap units out there that aren't).

2 lpm is standard rate for most people. You should have plenty options there. Higher lpm then things get trickier. Oxygen concentrators are required to disperse at least 90% O2. Oxygen cylinders have a purity of 99.2% to be considered medical grade.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Regardless of the price....research the one you choose to buy. If it needs to be serviced...recourse is everything. Check out reviews of how they hold up and how the service is if needed.

dave st.pierre

dave st.pierre
Oxygen

My wife has been using inogen portable concentrator 8lbs & is covered by medicare for a small fee ph 1 - 877-704-5850 f0r info. I dont see with a 7ft cannula you could shoot pool alright.check it out. Comes with two batteries.

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Many thanks for all your ideas.

I think my first step will be to go with my supplier's smaller tank along with a conserver regulator rather than a constant flow regulator. If that works, it's a cheap solution for me. (signed up for a low-cost, high-deductible HMO a year ago when I was a picture of health; biting me in the ass now :)

If the smaller tank still turns out to be a hassle, I'll purchase AC/DC battery-powered unit. Many thanks for the reminder about serviceability and reputation. Very important!

Thanks again!

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Dad was on oxygen years ago and had a pretty cool set-up. He had a large tank that looked like a beer keg. From that he could a fill a portable smaller set-up. The small one had it's own controls and shoulder strap. He could use direct from the larger tank if he wanted. Every so often a guy would come and swap tanks and replace or service everything. Operation of all and filling the small tank from the big one was pretty simple. I would hope something similar would still be available today.

woodyosborne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Best wishes for you at any rate. happy to see your frame of mind and ability to get out and about. I worked in DME for years as well as some of the other posters. get upfront advise about the availability of "portable" tanks and any types of limitations, quantity wise.
the on demand conservators are a boon to users, allowing O2 to not continually be dispensed.
BTW, if you have questions call your Dr and/or your supplier. they're both making money off you.