Let’s talk about spots (handicaps) when gambling....

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was wondering what everyone thought of this? I have seen, like others I’m sure, a video of Shane “grooving” his stroke and looking to the side before his final stroke and making the ball. It was a bar table and he was messing around, but he did not miss.
I’ll call his “no peek.”

Cliff Joyner has been in the minds of many lately. He gave up a huge spot playing one pocket called a “handspan.” Incoming player can move the cueball anywhere within the span of their pinky and thumb before beginning the inning.

I wonder who I could beat with a combination of both of these spots? No peek and a handspan on a 9ft table, pro cut pockets. What pros would you match up with “even” under these terms?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
Didn't see Shane but Bert had all his students do the mighty X drill with our eyes closed. Everything is set prior to the last stroke.
Cool idea from Cliff though. Brings a lot of interesting spots to mind.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Span" has been around for many years.
Willis pitched it a lot, only using a cigarette. "You can move the cueball a cigarette's distance from where it sits".
He still robbed 'em all......it's a sucker trap. (Even in one pocket). Cliff is no dummy, he knows what to do.
The counter proposition is "let me move an OBJECT ball a cigarette span"......which will never happen. :wink:

I hear you, sir. But it is no sucker bet playing one pocket. You let me have a span in one hole and I’m giving trouble to a LOT of players. Think about how many innings are in one pocket vs nine ball.

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i am a relatively poor one hole player
but with the ability to move the cue ball a handspan after each shot and i would play almost anyone

i have never seen it,but after seeing bustamonte put the cue ball frozen the backside
of the object ball,i would not play without a handspan

it would be almost impossible to compete with out it

the old closed eye thing doesn't sound too good

JC

Coos Cues
i am a relatively poor one hole player
but with the ability to move the cue ball a handspan after each shot and i would play almost anyone

It's not after every shot, it's at the beginning of every inning. Big difference.

JC

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I was wondering what everyone thought of this? I have seen, like others I’m sure, a video of Shane “grooving” his stroke and looking to the side before his final stroke and making the ball. It was a bar table and he was messing around, but he did not miss.
I’ll call his “no peek.”

Cliff Joyner has been in the minds of many lately. He gave up a huge spot playing one pocket called a “handspan.” Incoming player can move the cueball anywhere within the span of their pinky and thumb before beginning the inning.

I wonder who I could beat with a combination of both of these spots? No peek and a handspan on a 9ft table, pro cut pockets. What pros would you match up with “even” under these terms?

I’d play anyone like that. I’d even spot them a few games.

Edit: after noticing I only get handspan to start the inning, I’d play them even.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wildest spot I've ever had and still lost was:

Guy told me the rules was as follows:

Game is 7 ball
He got all the breaks
Behind the line on foul or scratch (This was before ball in hand)
Balls made on scratch or jumped table stayed down other then one before money ball
No jump shots ( I couldn't jump back then anyways)
Rack your own

If I could make an object ball hit foot rail on good hit I won the game.....

We started at $50 a rack. I won the first 5 or 6 racks. He broke ran a few balls mist and i shot the ball to end rail and collected.

Well, while I was racking he asked me if i was interested in raising the bet....lol.....i should have known better...lol.

Long story short, we raised it to $100 a rack. He won two or three and made it look like he got lucky.

Then he asked if I wanted to raise it again and.............I WILL NEVER FORGET saying "let's play one for a $1,000....lololol...

$3,000 later I'm convinced and quit.

I can't remember all details other than after we got it out of the dirt he either broke and ran out or I was froze and or buried knee deep behind obstacle balls for 2 or 3 straight games.

I not once made a good hit after raising the bet.

His name was Kenneth James.

Rake

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You won't get that spot if you can play.
Read post 7 and wake up. It's a trap and if you're a player you should know that.

I see how it’s a trap for lesser skilled players. The OP wanted to know who we’d play with that spot, I’ll try anyone.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I see how it’s a trap for lesser skilled players. The OP wanted to know who we’d play with that spot, I’ll try anyone.

Yeah, right? No peek and a handspan playing one pocket? Imma go broke, you got me.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, right? No peek and a handspan playing one pocket? Imma go broke, you got me.

Take your handspan, make a ball or two, knock one away from his hole and leave him long. I’d bet my wife.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In my opinion, almost any pro would crush
an amateur with that spot.

"Any"pro and "any" amateur is a stretch imo.

There are some amateurs out there that could get the lower ranked pro a scare with that spot.

Ball in hand after any miss is a super strong spot unless you are playing one of the top pros.

As usual, it would all boil down to the amateur being able to handle the type pressure the pro will provide.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Any"pro and "any" amateur is a stretch imo.

There are some amateurs out there that could get the lower ranked pro a scare with that spot.

Ball in hand after any miss is a super strong spot unless you are playing one of the top pros.

As usual, it would all boil down to the amateur being able to handle the type pressure the pro will provide.

Hence the word “almost” I chose. Here’s a thought, I wouldn’t take that spot from anyone who offered it to me. I would probably take no peek and a handspan at one pocket from any pro without a US Open One Pocket title or Tony Chohan.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hence the word “almost” I chose. Here’s a thought, I wouldn’t take that spot from anyone who offered it to me. I would probably take no peek and a handspan at one pocket from any pro without a US Open One Pocket title or Tony Chohan.

Understood. But, there are days that I beat the 9 and 10 ball ghost 11 - 2 /3 range. On those days I would probably still lose but it would not be a cake walk for most no matter who they are.

Hum.....on second thought......the stars would have to be in line.

The stars for me are:

My back...ouch
Knees
Shoulders
Feet....

But most of all..........my Tourette syndrome would have to be chilled or my goose would be cooked.

tenfttall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey, what do you know? Tony has a US Open One Pocket title! I did not know that!