The Looooooong Layoff

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
I hadn't played pool (that's NO pool) for over two years, when I walked into Planet 9-Ball to 'talk poker' with Ken the owner. Ken wasn't there and it was a Thursday and the weekly nineball tournament was about to start. I was being egged on to participate, but used the "I haven't played in over two years, I didn't bring a cue, I suck and I'm not feeling well" excuse.

Deskman Chris loans me his cue and I pony up the cash and belly up to the table. I'm surprised to find that during the two years off, I've picked up an uncontrollable shake in my grip hand, much like Nick Varner's.

I can't run two balls and the table looks like an aircraft carrier, but I payed my money & takes my chances. While I can't run any balls, I DO have over 40 years of poolplaying to fall back on and I'm capable of making ANY shot at any given time, so I decide to shoot at the nine at almost every opportunity ( I know, what's new).

In my first match, I'm down 3-0 in a race to 4, when I combo in the nineball. I make a ball on the break and combo in the nine in the second game. My opponent scratches on the alternating break and with ball in hand, I line up an 8' very thin cut on the one-nine and fire it in the hole. I make the nine on the break and come from behind to win 4-3.

I lose my next match hill-hill, using the same tactics. I'm in the losers bracket and behind 2-0 in race to 3 when my opponent misses the sixball. I have no shot at the cheese and an almost impossible cross side bank shot available. I stare at it for about a minute (which felt like an hour) and fired it cross side at warp speed. I'm left with a table length bank on the 7 ball and with my backhand shaking like a dice thrower, I send whitey on it's way and split the pocket. The deskman, illuminated players and spectators are starting to crowd around the table. I'm left with a bank on the 8 and make it also and not to feel like 'left out Lucy', the 9 is an off angle bank into the corner and I drill it into the hole. A four ball run and I feel like John Schmidt running a 600 in straight pool.
I combo in nine in the next two games and the young fellow that lost remarks sarcastically, "that's the ONLY way you could win". I steal a line (paraphrased) from The Color Of Money and reply, "Yes, yes it is." He whispers to his buddies and then says loudly, "me and you can play some for money after the tournament", to which I reply, "solly, no speekie inklish."

Anyway, I ended up eventually losing a hill-hill battle to local straight shooter Steve Brownfield and came in the money 5th out of 22 players. I received a round of applause from the spectators and took the opportunity to say, "Hey, I'm BACK.............. in Retirement."
Doug
( btw, 5th place paid my entry fee back and it was like kissing your ugly sister ) :)

!Smorgass Bored

Hump ? What HUMP ?
Gold Member
YEEHAAAAAA......Just Don't Spank The Monkey

johnnydub said:
congrats, how did it feel to be back at the table again?

I would compare it to having sex again after an equally long layoff...
Doug
( I'll let you know if my analogy is correct, if I ever actually HAVE sex again ) :)

ironman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:
I hadn't played pool (that's NO pool) for over two years, when I walked into Planet 9-Ball to 'talk poker' with Ken the owner. Ken wasn't there and it was a Thursday and the weekly nineball tournament was about to start. I was being egged on to participate, but used the "I haven't played in over two years, I didn't bring a cue, I suck and I'm not feeling well" excuse.

Deskman Chris loans me his cue and I pony up the cash and belly up to the table. I'm surprised to find that during the two years off, I've picked up an uncontrollable shake in my grip hand, much like Nick Varner's.

I can't run two balls and the table looks like an aircraft carrier, but I payed my money & takes my chances. While I can't run any balls, I DO have over 40 years of poolplaying to fall back on and I'm capable of making ANY shot at any given time, so I decide to shoot at the nine at almost every opportunity ( I know, what's new).

In my first match, I'm down 3-0 in a race to 4, when I combo in the nineball. I make a ball on the break and combo in the nine in the second game. My opponent scratches on the alternating break and with ball in hand, I line up an 8' very thin cut on the one-nine and fire it in the hole. I make the nine on the break and come from behind to win 4-3.

I lose my next match hill-hill, using the same tactics. I'm in the losers bracket and behind 2-0 in race to 3 when my opponent misses the sixball. I have no shot at the cheese and an almost impossible cross side bank shot available. I stare at it for about a minute (which felt like an hour) and fired it cross side at warp speed. I'm left with a table length bank on the 7 ball and with my backhand shaking like a dice thrower, I send whitey on it's way and split the pocket. The deskman, illuminated players and spectators are starting to crowd around the table. I'm left with a bank on the 8 and make it also and not to feel like 'left out Lucy', the 9 is an off angle bank into the corner and I drill it into the hole. A four ball run and I feel like John Schmidt running a 600 in straight pool.
I combo in nine in the next two games and the young fellow that lost remarks sarcastically, "that's the ONLY way you could win". I steal a line (paraphrased) from The Color Of Money and reply, "Yes, yes it is." He whispers to his buddies and then says loudly, "me and you can play some for money after the tournament", to which I reply, "solly, no speekie inklish."

Anyway, I ended up eventually losing a hill-hill battle to local straight shooter Steve Brownfield and came in the money 5th out of 22 players. I received a round of applause from the spectators and took the opportunity to say, "Hey, I'm BACK.............. in Retirement."
Doug
( btw, 5th place paid my entry fee back and it was like kissing your ugly sister ) :)

AThat is funny and I know how you feel.

I gave it up for almost 9 years. Never hit one ball in 9 years. Never even walked into the pool hall.

In 2000, after my divorce, I decided it was time.

I went to the pool room for a couple of days and was really surprised how quickly it was coming back.

I heard about a local Sunday afternoon tournament and though, what the hell. The first week I got 3rd, thae sencond week 2nd, and the 3rd week, I won it. I was jacked up real high and having fun. Bobby Brown came over to me and said it looked like it was coming back to me rather quickly to which I did know what to say or think. I just said yep and what surprised me most was that it was on these tight 9 footers. Bobby started laughing and said, "bud, these are 8 footers". I was emabarrassed to say the least, but lilke you, they looked like aircraft carriers. Still do.

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Smorgass Bored said:

Doug

I thought you had been banned from Planet Ball for calling Russ, Short Bus Russ. He's got something for you buddy. I have it on good authority your match is a prime directive and he is practicing like a demon JUST FOR YOU.

I always thought a good hand shake was the mark of a good man.
JoeyA

Last edited:

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
Congat Doug. About two years ago I tried to comeback after about a seven years away from the big tables and very litte action on the bar tables. I gave it about a year. I played in about a dozen tournaments, one of which was at planet 9-ball. I had Richie R stuck 5-0 and he came back and ran a six pack on me. One day I was giving a kid the wild 8 for $5 a pop and was getting beat up. Ten years ago I could have given him the 7&8 and beat him easy. After losing about six games in a row I walked up to the desk and said "I'm finished with pool...want to buy a cue." For me their was no enjoyment playing like a low C player...if that. Johnnyt

olauzon

HANK THE TANK
Silver Member
myself i played a bunch of pool in the teens, then just stoped. golf came in and ruled my life for a decade until i was to the point of killing myself after a round of 18 as low single hcp. fishing, contemplating life and the good shit that comes along then took over until i 4 yrs ago accidently went playing pool drinking beer, the other way around, with friends and hit about everything. i've since played and will NEVER give it up again, nor the beers.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
interesting post in this thread

Congat Doug. About two years ago I tried to comeback after about a seven years away from the big tables and very litte action on the bar tables. I gave it about a year. I played in about a dozen tournaments, one of which was at planet 9-ball. I had Richie R stuck 5-0 and he came back and ran a six pack on me. One day I was giving a kid the wild 8 for $5 a pop and was getting beat up. Ten years ago I could have given him the 7&8 and beat him easy. After losing about six games in a row I walked up to the desk and said "I'm finished with pool...want to buy a cue." For me their was no enjoyment playing like a low C player...if that. Johnnyt

Reading this old "I quit" post of Johnny's I remember reading he just beat the ten ball ghost. Stepping pretty fancy for an old fart!!

Hu

the420trooper

Free T-Rex
Silver Member
Reading this old "I quit" post of Johnny's I remember reading he just beat the ten ball ghost. Stepping pretty fancy for an old fart!!

Hu

No one ever really quits pool....we just take breaks of varying lengths. Even 20 years isn't enough to get the bug out of your system.

Congrats to JohnnyT! I can beat the 10 ball ghost on a barbox, on a 9 footer-no way. (Not right now anyway...haven't been practicing enough.)

Richardson

Who me ?
Silver Member
Our pool league ends in May, so i normally quit playing from May til Sept when leagues start again. Everytime i look and a 9ft table in the fall, im always like "damn i dont see that well".