Best Hitting Cues Survey - Please Reply

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
How would anyone know ?
Who in here has played with every cue ever made ?
Efren Played with a 12 dollar cue made in Taiwan from my understanding . .
I don't think any 12 dollar would rate so high in any professional pool players opinion
but Efren sure liked it.
Cues have different joint constructions and there are some cues just because of there joint construction I would never be interested .
And some cues suck just because the player doesn't like the tip that's on it .
Allot of players cant handle hard or soft tips and reject the cue based on the tip alone ..

If the cue doesn't have the tip you prefer on it how can you give a honest opinion ?
Made in the Philippines. And it was more like $20.:D
The ferrule was cue ball material.
The rings/checks were painted on. Our insider joke was they were done with nail coloring paint, Kokuryo Cosmetics. :D
The snake skin wrap was lacquer finished.
It was very heavy and had a heavy ss collar.
Efren used it for a long time when it already had a rattle and was bowed.

Searing, SW, Scruggs, Lambros, Petersen, Zylr get my vote this month.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Imo, all top cuemakers make cues that has a signature hit or a way to get used to their cues.

But in terms of playability that suits my game, I’ll say South West as best for me, then Kersenbrock comes next, Lambros, McDaniel, Barenbrugge are good for me too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeyInCali

Silver Member
Imo, all top cuemakers make cues that has a signature hit or a way to get used to their cues.

But in terms of playability that suits my game, I’ll say South West as best for me, then Kersenbrock comes next, Lambros, McDaniel, Barenbrugge are good for me too.

Those have differing tapers . Do you sand the SW and DPK shafts ?
Heavy curved tapers compared to gradual linear tapers on Lambros, McDaniel and Barenbrugge. McDaniels having the least stiff taper .

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Those have differing tapers . Do you sand the SW and DPK shafts ?

Heavy curved tapers compared to gradual linear tapers on Lambros, McDaniel and Barenbrugge. McDaniels having the least stiff taper .

Yes they all have different tapers. No I do not sand my SW or DPK shafts.

They all do play differently, but SW suits me best. Especially the butt actually drives the shafts better imo, not sure if its because they’re uncored.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

They all do play differently, but SW suits me best. Especially the butt actually drives the shafts better imo, not sure if its because they’re uncored.

Timothy,

Since you know the cue preferences that most of the top Taiwan (and China, for that matter) players like, can you please explain them for everyone.

I know they used to like shafts that played stiffer and that were around 13mm, or so, and they usually played with cues that were a bit heavier than a lot of people like.

How many of them have switched to the newer lighter cues with LD shafts now?

What weight do they prefer?

And tip?

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Timothy,

Since you know the cue preferences that most of the top Taiwan (and China, for that matter) players like, can you please explain them for everyone.

I know they used to like shafts that played stiffer and that were around 13mm, or so, and they usually played with cues that were a bit heavier than a lot of people like.

How many of them have switched to the newer lighter cues with LD shafts now?

What weight do they prefer?

And tip?

Honestly, I've always liked cues that are forward balance around 19.5" or so. Never liked the look of SW nor the 18.5" balance point.

Until about 4-5 years ago when Cyclop introduced those skittle sets, I felt only Exceed cues with their HP2 or ExPro shaft could play those balls. As I felt the Cyclops were denser and the only custom cues I had at that time were TAD, McDaniel, Ernie Martinez, South West, AE. And imo, SW is the only cue that I felt is stiff and powerful enough for those skittles set.

As far as I know of, none of those has voluntarily switched to a LD shaft, unless they are sponsored.

Weight? Male Taiwanese pro players that I know of usually like ebony nose and they usually weight around 20oz and above.

Tip? Most of them plays softer tips, but different brands for each player. And they don't stick to one for long, IIRC.

JoeyInCali

Silver Member

Well, the best hitting SW I tried was a satin maple cue.

I think what you are feeling is more due to the fat A-joint area and handle.

Dave-Kat

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ebony Lambros with 'Ultra Joint' as close to 1 piece Cue I have found in aprox 40 Customs I personally have owned and played.

Cheers,

-Kat,

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as I know of, none of those has voluntarily switched to a LD shaft, unless they are sponsored.

Weight? Male Taiwanese pro players that I know of usually like ebony nose and they usually weight around 20oz and above.

Tip? Most of them plays softer tips, but different brands for each player. And they don't stick to one for long, IIRC.

This is what I always found interesting.

The Taiwan pros are some of the best players in the world and they use equipment that most players today consider unplayable.

They use heavy cues with fat, solid maple shafts, regular ferrules, and soft tips and play world class.

They don't need gadgets.

Last edited:

09TBSS3SS

Registered
For me it is my current players

James White
Schon

Others i've tried
SW
PFD
AC

Haven't had a chance to hit a lot of other cues

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a south west cue to play

i always get Ebony on ebony to sell
but i like the maple fronts to play

no particular reason,I just seem to play my best with them

they are so popular and sell so quick ,I have trouble holding onto them

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For the past 2 mths. I've been playing mostly with my last cue Bob Owen made
and Ed Prewitt cue that weighs only 1/5 oz heavier so the 2 weights are very close.

If I had to choose to play with only of these cues, it would be the one that Bob made.
Bob Owen makes a tremendous cue & the hit is so distinct it stands out from others.

Matt B.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm wondering if Players/Owners are enamored with their high dollar cues, as great playing cues, or ... are they really sure they have a great hitting cue. Have they tried different tips on their cues or did it come with a great piece of leather on the end, out of the gate.

I am making a PRECISION deflection hitting machine, so Guido can test his cues & players cues at the Tournaments he attends... Next time you see him, you should ask him about that trial...

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For what it's worth, my cues all have Kamui Black Clear Tips (soft) except for 3 cues:
my Palmer, Prewitt & Scruggs. I'd replace the tips on those cues but I'm keeping them
all original purely for sentimental reasons. So when I describe any cue as a great
hitting cue, I've really considered all facets of the cue's construction before commenting.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is what I always found interesting.

The Taiwan pros are some of the best players in the world and they use equipment that most players today consider unplayable.

They use heavy cues with fat, solid maple shafts, regular ferrules, and soft tips and play world class.

They don't need gadgets.

First off, I think it's probably they have the perfect stroke and the ones that use SW are usually the kind that do stunshot for practically every shot, not the game play that filipinos play with crazy spin. For me, heavy-dense ebony cues and fat shafts are hard to play with. I can only play with light SW 19-19.5oz with 12.9-13.1mm shafts (13.2-13.3 are too much, I've seen Yang played with 13.5mm and still being able to pull a full table drawshot).

And as for deflection, I don't think there's a need for LD shafts when you can get used to your gear. I've played TAD, SW the longest as my players. I think if you spend enough time with your cue, you'll eventually find the right way to aim to get it almost 0 deflection. Imo, deflection is just a term for people that are not used to their gears.