Pet Peeves Solved

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I made a comment earlier in another thread about one of my pet peeves in pool: when your opponent misses, and leaves you unintentionally blocked and his teammates cheer "nice shot", "way to go man".

I had a response from someone that stated: I love to look at them and go "so that was a defensive shot then? and reach for the score sheet.....they either suck up and admit it was luck or get a defensive shot marked down and then they dread the raising of the skill level.

When they admit it was luck and suddenly the cheering stops....

I am not sure why I had never thought of it before but I cannot wait for it to happen now! One of my Pet Peeves is solved!

So that gave me an idea for a fun thread. I figure people could list some Pet Peeves and others could list what they do to get past them.

So here is another of mine, and for people who know me, my biggest pet peeve. Slow players. Not slow and methodical. Not slow and disciplined. I mean the ones where that have two balls left. A straight in stop shot that leaves you straight on the last ball. They're not chalking, they're not stroking, they are just standing there looking at the table like they don't know what to do. 2 minutes later they shoot the obvious, and sometimes only possible shot.

Let the ranting begin! :grin:

easy-e

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
So I made a comment earlier in another thread about one of my pet peeves in pool: when your opponent misses, and leaves you unintentionally blocked and his teammates cheer "nice shot", "way to go man".

I had a response from someone that stated: I love to look at them and go "so that was a defensive shot then? and reach for the score sheet.....they either suck up and admit it was luck or get a defensive shot marked down and then they dread the raising of the skill level.

When they admit it was luck and suddenly the cheering stops....

I am not sure why I had never thought of it before but I cannot wait for it to happen now! One of my Pet Peeves is solved!

So that gave me an idea for a fun thread. I figure people could list some Pet Peeves and others could list what they do to get past them.

So here is another of mine, and for people who know me, my biggest pet peeve. Slow players. Not slow and methodical. Not slow and disciplined. I mean the ones where that have two balls left. A straight in stop shot that leaves you straight on the last ball. They're not chalking, they're not stroking, they are just standing there looking at the table like they don't know what to do. 2 minutes later they shoot the obvious, and sometimes only possible shot.

Let the ranting begin! :grin:

Great subject! It's been discussed plenty around here. Check out this link, funny stuff.:D

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=69155&highlight=peeve

Das928

Banned
When a smoker blows their smoke all over the table. Its gets so bad you can see smoke swirling around in the lights

petticasey

No Irish need apply.
People who say how good you are compared to them and how drunk they are, repeatedly. Only to say lets make it interesting......If you want to bet then ask, but do I look like a F@$*ing child.

Last edited:

trustyrusty

I'm better with a wedge!
Silver Member
People who say how good you are compared to them and how drunk they are, repeatedly. Only to say lets make it interesting......If you want to bet then ask, but do I look like a F@$*ing child.

I LOVE these guys, and have fun with them just by agreeing - yeah, you are pretty drunk, but being a lush, when aren't you? I am TOTALLY better than you are, why would you want the humiliation of being beaten when you can just hand me your money? They get so ticked they change their tune and often start in on how they could beat me with this or that spot... :grin:

sooperstroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Upside down chalk. Nuff said.

Tap,Tap,Tap, I hate guys who do that. It gets everywhere.I use a pocket chalker and I take all the other chalk on the table and throw it away.:cool: How bout nits who powder up both theyre hands like theyre lebron james and then leave white handprints all over the table.

Both of those players should be taken out back and shot, for not being respectful of the equipment.

2_Fast_4_Fleas

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like to make hand paintings like elephants or monkeys with the hand chalk on the table right before we play if i feel like it annoys my opponent :grin-square:

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Often a fellow league player will tell me I should have played a shot a certain way. I like to explain that they must be really positive they are right to be correcting me and then I propose that we mark the table and play 10 games each as the player with the striped ball and they shoot it there way and I shoot it mine and whoever wins the most games gets the $100 on the light.

No one is ever game unfortunately and if they protest that you are the better player then you can then explain that you make better decisions too.

pooldawg8

My Pride and Joy
Gold Member
Silver Member
How about this one. I`m playing a guy last year league play. I miss a shot, he finishes his cigarette, chugs his bottle of beer, powders up both hands, claps the remaining dust over the table, get this, tells me he has to use the restroom now. Comes out powders up again (doesn`t clap this time), ask me which am I stripped or solid? His cell phone rings (another minute on the phone), looks over the table once more. And misses a CHACK,CHACK DUCK shot. He says to me, ''Damn table rolled off '' did you see that. I replied no I must have been sleeping I missed it all together. I can`t stand slow A$$ shooters.

El Diablo

Registered
On a personal note, anytime the league guys stand right next to the table talking about their f$%^ing golf game. Go to the other side of the room!

Also, any time the ladies league team tries to shark before I shoot. I once just jumped the nine off the table and said, "happy? You win!" to prove my point. a couple of them thanked me for calling the offending player on her usual crap.

Anyone who stands at the table or chalks after their turn.

A-hole punk kids in Tulsa who wear their hats sideways.

Taking my chalk, dammit I shoulda picked it up.

Anyone who wants to play for $1 a game, BAR rules. This doesn't last long, I just roll the cue anywhere they can't make a shot.

Anyone whose cell phone rings even once while we're playing.

Wearing your flipping ipod at the table. Show some respect!

That's a lot of peeves!! Sorry, needed to vent.

rburgoyne

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Messy Tables

I try to keep my hands and my cue clean while I shoot. I cannot stand a messy table either. I have been known to get a paper towel to wipe away the chalk and get a brush from behind the counter to clean off the powder prints before I start playing. I haven't had to do it during a match before, but I wouldn't hesitate to do it inbetween games and explain to my opponent I am trying to keep myself and my equipment clean.

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
I try to keep my hands and my cue clean while I shoot. I cannot stand a messy table either...

Amen to that! There are a couple places here in town where I used to play often but do not anymore because they stopped taking care of their tables. I had to wash my hands every 15 minutes because my bridge hand was so dirty from the table. When you have 'billiards' in the name of your bar/pool hall I expect there to be decent tables in your establishment; a lot of times this is not true, however. :mad:

And the iPod thing. I understand if people want to wear them while they are practicing alone; I totally understand that. But to wear it in a match is another thing - to me it would be a bit of a distraction; I don't understand... :confused:

And one more thing - have any of you ever practiced next to a table of non-pool players? You know, the kind that seem to miss and leave the cue ball on the same spot on the table every time so there is constantly someone standing there and you're always having to ask them to move so you can take a shot every once in a while. Drives me nuts...

Done for now. :grin: