Outside english or center ball?

ThePoliteSniper

Fruitshop Owner
Silver Member
When position is irrelevant, how do you play cut shots? Do you throw the ball in with outside english, or do you aim a little thinner with center ball?

CueTable Help

Which method do you think is better and why?

blackeee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When position is irrelevant, how do you play cut shots? Do you throw the ball in with outside english, or do you aim a little thinner with center ball?

CueTable Help

Which method do you think is better and why?

Depends on how thin it is. An extremley thin cut close to the ball I use High with a mere touch of inside. I aim thin cuts better in this fashion. A long thin cut is high center.Anything from a 1/3 ball hit to a a 3/4 ball hit, it's outside draw. For almonst full cuts it's just below center outside.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Check out this thread I started almost three years ago to the date...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=88014

At the time, I was spinning balls in left and right. Since then I have toned down how much I spin the CB when cinching shots. But I still generally use outside english (to varying degrees) on every cut shot I need to cinch.

And I still think that in general outside english increases your overall shooting margin of error on moderate cut shots.

Luxury

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Outside English unless you are near the rail, jacked up or have a long shot. The pros constantly hit the nine in with outside. If you dont do it now don't do it in games that matter. Just do it in practice till you got it. Eventually it will become easier to aim with outside than center ball.

catpool9

"Rack Um"/ Rusty Lock
Silver Member
English

Outside english is the triple-nuts for cutting a ball to make it, unless inside is required. Outside english will make the pockett bigger everytime, you can miss it and still make it, and inside english will cut the pockett opening in half most cases, you have to be precise with the hit on the object ball with inside, you have to allow for the throw for sure.

David Harcrow

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I don't use any english unless necessary for position.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I find the line from the pocket through the OB. Then I figure how much spin I want on the shot. I then focus on the new spot on the OB as I step into the shot. I do not look at the pocket again after I focus on the spot on the OB. I throw a good percentage of my cut-shots in with outside spin. This has worked well for me for 60 years. I've never run 100, but have run 96 and many 80's. I really haven't been a 14.1 player for 40 years though. Johnnyt

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Out side spin dosen't "throw" the ball, it reduces the amount of C.I.T. So does other spin, so I use what I need to feel comfortable for the shot....randyg

sfleinen

14.1 & One Pocket Addict
Gold Member
Silver Member
Center ball all day every day. It's not a tough shot.

vertical center

I don't use any english unless necessary for position.

K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid)

I agree -- there's no reason to make this shot any more difficult than necessary. "Helper" english can get you into trouble, unless you absolutely need it. I've seen too many people overspin this shot, and either overcut it, or introduce needless cue ball squirt into the equation. And I question, "Why?!?"

-Sean

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
Actually, depending on the amount of spin, outside English can throw the ball in either direction or not at all. For more info, see:

Also, here's a good video demonstration:

Regards,
Dave

Now there is the answer we are looking for. Some times yes, some times not, I'm with Sean, Why spin the ball at all if we don't have to....randyg

ThePoliteSniper

Fruitshop Owner
Silver Member
Check out this thread I started almost three years ago to the date...

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=88014

Cool.

I've been using this technique on cut shots for years because of the same reasons you mentioned in your thread. But several months ago, I began to doubt it. The margin of error might be greater, but you are also adding more variables to the equation that could produce unwanted results.
So after practicing cut shots with center ball for a while, I feel like it is at least as easy as throwing the balls in with outside english. In fact, I was so impressed by the results, that I started to believe that CID is negligible, until I watched Dr. Dave's videos. I don't know what's easier. But when playing center ball and my mechanics are ideal, I feel like I could follow through the center of the cueball again after contact, like the cueball and my cue are both moving on one rail, and everything is straight. I like that. Using any type of english seperates the cue from the cueball path.

I suppose if you can include the effects of CID in your aiming process (aim thinner), you don't need to use outside english.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
I assume outside English in the position such as given could help you if you play with dirty balls. C-I-D is increased in case of too much dirt. Otherwise just center hit, keep it simple really.