Pool Not Being Fun Anymore?

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

So... pool just doesn't seem that fun to me anymore. ...
Any of you guys ever go through weird periods like this?
It may have nothing to do with pool.

Is something else going on in your life right now? Are you sleeping well? Do you have mental issues with other tasks. Are you having back/neck/eye problems of any sort?

But to answer your question, no. I have gone as long as six weeks without playing in the past 55 years but that's because I really had to spend my time some other way.

If there is no apparent cause, you could try reading some of the books about the mental aspects of the game such as "Inner Tennis" and "Pleasures of Small Motions".

AkGuy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well

Start betting 5 or 10 bucks on a set. Pool is cool and like many games makes no sense if you think about it very hard. Just quit till you get the fire again. I really enjoy it, but I take it for what it is to me. Just away to pass the winter months and have some fun.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

So... pool just doesn't seem that fun to me anymore. When I'm at a table I mostly feel like I can't concentrate all that much and I end up just free-wheeling around the table for a little while. I haven't won a league match in like 7 weeks now (as a 9) mostly because I have some weird mental disconnect right now - I get frustrated in ways I never used to and it's taking less and less for me to get to that point BUT this is only related to pool/while at a table.

I was thinking about getting lessons from Scott Lee because I thought that maybe improving my stroke so I could pocket more consistently would help but the lesson fell through and now I'm wondering if it'd even be worth it for me to take a lesson if I'm just falling out of enjoying playing pool.

Your an APA SL 9? So we're talking about 9 ball? What are you struggling with exactly? Pocketing? Position? How are the matches going, you go to 75 points what are you getting to? Are 7's beating you 55 to 20 or 55 50?

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most Players Do Not Employ a Developmental Approach To Pool.

Here is my advice......take it or leave it.......but you can’t deny the game of pool is played
between the ears more than on the table. Your mental outlook determines what happens.

First and foremost, never take the game so seriously that it stops being fun and enjoyable.
Next is take the time to sit down and decide whether you just want to be a sociable, affable
kind of player that plays more for the recreational aspect of playing a game with others you
may or might not know. In so far as your performance expectations, forget about it & just play.

If however your inner self says I like playing pool & I’d like to be seen as a better skilled player,
then watch.....closely observe the best players you know or encounter. Watch what they do. Pay
attention to their bridge and stroke, observe their shooting stance, watch the roll of the object ball
after being struck, look at the speed of the cue ball and how it moves & then compare that with the
player’s stroke. Absorb as much imagery as you can and bring that to your practice sessions.

If you find that you awaken the desire to become a strong player, then embrace the fundamentals
and practice what is preached. In other words, don’t deviate. Try to develop a consistent pre-shot
routine. When you miss a shot, re-examine your stance, head & body alignment, Chalk after every
shot because it slows you down and that allows you to avoid playing quick which a sure fire road
to a miscue or poor position play. Most importantly, realistically evaluate your current skills and flaws.

If you want to become serious, practice and play with partners or opponents better than you and avoid
playing down to the level of lesser skilled players you may encounter. It is a clear temptation that befalls
so many players. Consider taking instruction and don’t take advice from every player that offers any.

Lastly, decide if you want to become a really good player or just an okay player. Do you want to possess
the skills and confidence to run the table after your opponent misses or after you just smashed the rack
wide open on the break shot? It is a great feeling to hear your opponent remark as you walk the table, “It
looks like the table is set for another easy runout.” Gosh, wouldn’t you prefer to be recognized and known
for being a talented player versus just another ho-hum type that can’t run more than 5-6 balls. Remember
you decide how good you can become, what satisfies you and how much effort and commitment to make.

“Never take the game so seriously it stops being enjoyable; when that happens, realign your expectations.”

Matt B.

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After you get decent at pool the fun is gone because expectations of yourself are raised as well. The best time i ever had playing pool is when i had no idea how to play.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well when thing in life are no long fun, become work, or your get zero out. Stop for a while, take a breat, or just quit it.

I use to voulenteer at a local Dept. of Game & Fish facility, because it was fun, we were respected, management apprieciated our efforts, and once a year who had a great pot luck.

When that all changes, me and about half the voulenteers stop give our time.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How were you able to play consistently enough to get a max handicap? There just isn't enough information that makes sense in the OP to give good advice, IMO.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How were you able to play consistently enough to get a max handicap? There just isn't enough information that makes sense in the OP to give good advice, IMO.

I would be at that handicap if I played leagues.
It takes alot of playing, losing, winning,
study( with a mentor, teacher/instructor, alone with books and videos),drills, plateaus to overcome, just to play that speed.

As you get better, the margins in which you do
get smaller and harder to gain.

Then once you get there you have to play alot
to stay in stroke. Compete alot to get used to
managing pressure.

This causes burnout.

I dont want to speak for the guy but in my experience
that is what I felt.

I would take time off and wait for the fire to comeback.
You need it to push through the difficulty of trying
to get better or just maintain your speed. Once you start
having to give weight in league or gambling nobody
wants to lower it, ever.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Wait a second. Pool is supposed to be fun?? Now you tell me!

It not all about gambling, hustling, and smokey rooms. Not say making a few bucks is bad, but if you love or like what your doing it not like a real job. It's a dream.

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would be at that handicap if I played leagues.
It takes alot of playing, losing, winning,
study( with a mentor, teacher/instructor, alone with books and videos),drills, plateaus to overcome, just to play that speed.

As you get better, the margins in which you do
get smaller and harder to gain.

Then once you get there you have to play alot
to stay in stroke. Compete alot to get used to
managing pressure.

This causes burnout.

I dont want to speak for the guy but in my experience
that is what I felt.

I would take time off and wait for the fire to comeback.
You need it to push through the difficulty of trying
to get better or just maintain your speed. Once you start
having to give weight in league or gambling nobody
wants to lower it, ever.

I guess I should be thankful for my consistency. I would still need to know the scores of his matches and SLs of his opponents to see whats what.

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Started playing pool in 1979 or 1980, and to be honest, it stopped being "fun" 25 or so years ago for me.

When I was a dumb kid, I had aspirations of "going pro", but after playing some low level pro players, I realized how big the gap truly was, and then realized that a part of getting to that level requires a talent of obsession in practice which I did not have. And this is coming from someone who has played 60 hours a week at my best playing times, on top of working 40+.

I spent the next several years trying to close the gap, but to no avail.

I have spent the last 20 working on smaller goals, such as local tournaments etc. Some successes here and there, but mainly just scuffling around and picking my spots.

To say I dont enjoy the challenge would be a lie, but the enjoyment of just knocking balls in the holes died long ago.

You need to find what motivates you and go from there. Having fun is great if you got it, but its not a prerequisite to enjoying some aspects of the game.

There are guys who will go into a pool hall and you will only see them on a corner table, shooting the same shot over and over. My suspicion is it was a shot that cost them somewhere down the line, and now they chase mastery if only for that one shot. But it holds something for them, as they keep doing it.

There are folks who want to be top gun in their local league, and thats enough for them.

There are people who want to be state champions, and that is their drive.

Its all about what you really want. If you are chasing something, and the target seems like its not going to give you something, then neither is the chase.

One of the most well thought out posts I've ever read here...

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

So... pool just doesn't seem that fun to me anymore. When I'm at a table I mostly feel like I can't concentrate all that much and I end up just free-wheeling around the table for a little while. I haven't won a league match in like 7 weeks now (as a 9) mostly because I have some weird mental disconnect right now - I get frustrated in ways I never used to and it's taking less and less for me to get to that point BUT this is only related to pool/while at a table.

I was thinking about getting lessons from Scott Lee because I thought that maybe improving my stroke so I could pocket more consistently would help but the lesson fell through and now I'm wondering if it'd even be worth it for me to take a lesson if I'm just falling out of enjoying playing pool.

Yes for the past 38-39 years. Right now I’m a rail bird and happy doing that. Like anything in life there’s ups & downs.

Just remember

“Money won is twice as sweet as money earned”

That’s always motivated me in anything in life. I’m not in it for Brownie Point’s or trophy’s.

Getting fatter by the day,
Fatboy

Edit: Scott Lee is a good guy. Fatboy approved!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Started playing pool in 1979 or 1980, and to be honest, it stopped being "fun" 25 or so years ago for me.

When I was a dumb kid, I had aspirations of "going pro", but after playing some low level pro players, I realized how big the gap truly was, and then realized that a part of getting to that level requires a talent of obsession in practice which I did not have. And this is coming from someone who has played 60 hours a week at my best playing times, on top of working 40+.

I have spent the last 20 working on smaller goals, such as local tournaments etc. Some successes here and there, but mainly just scuffling around and picking my spots.

To say I dont enjoy the challenge would be a lie, but the enjoyment of just knocking balls in the holes died long ago.

You need to find what motivates you and go from there. Having fun is great if you got it, but its not a prerequisite to enjoying some aspects of the game.

There are guys who will go into a pool hall and you will only see them on a corner table, shooting the same shot over and over. My suspicion is it was a shot that cost them somewhere down the line, and now they chase mastery if only for that one shot. But it holds something for them, as they keep doing it.

There are folks who want to be top gun in their local league, and thats enough for them.

Its all about what you really want. If you are chasing something, and the target seems like its not going to give you something, then neither is the chase.

What a post. I picked up a cue first time in 77-78, but got into pool in 80-81.

I was that guy in the corner of the pool room shooting a shot over and over for many reasons. You are right about that.

Pool is a disease and obsession not necessarily “fun” there’s some fun times in there for sure, but it’s deeper than that.

I lack the talent to play like I always wanted to play, but I’ll be damned if that will stop me. Heart and the test one puts them self’s to in life can be exposed on the pool table for some and golf for others. I don’t golf.

Great post man!

Fatboy

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
in any game there has to be risk and reward to keep interest.
pool was and still is about gambling. that is what makes it exciting. you have to win something that is exhilarating and lose something that makes it hurt.

if you dont then its just batting balls around. there needs to be a prize of some worth.

KenRobbins

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys,

It may seem dumb, but November 3rd we changed the clocks back an hour, it was already getting dark out earlier before that. Time change effects everyone differently, but everyone is affected when getting less light to some degree. I wouldn't quit, just take a couple weeks off and regroup on your fundamentals and PSR. Take it as an opportunity to find out what mentally is throwing you off and take note for future reference.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Read through a lot of the replies.

1) I became a SL 9 because I learned from everyone - I had really good teachers and because I was so in love with pool I absorbed everything I could from everywhere I could. Lately though, being a SL 9 isn't amounting to much - if anything, I feel like I'm not strong enough to outdo the "luck" and "RNG" that comes with APA pool.

2) I've been able to think through a rack for a while now but I've never had the solid enough fundamentals to execute the way I want to. But lately I feel like my fundamentals have gotten worse or at least more apathetic.

3) I'd say breaking is my biggest weakness. In my last 9 matches of APA play I have pretty routinely made a ball and scratched in the side (cue ball hops a little like Shane but the forward spin pull it into the side pocket) leaving my opponent an easy few balls at a minimum OR I'll change my break to avoid the scratch but won't make a ball and leave shape on the one. It's very hard for me to beat anybody in a race when I'm literally giving them balls EVERY game because of this.

4) I'd say I agree with anybody that said anything related to not having goals. I became a 9 because I wanted to compete with good players but I really don't have any overarching goals when it comes to pool anymore - I want to get lessons to improve BUT I'm not sure how worthwhile that is anymore.

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OP:

Lessons are worthwhile to anyone thats willing to take them.

The best players on the planet get help from time to time....

Jeff

CESSNA10

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I agree with your assessments. I have found that with all sports we reach a level and that's as far as you can go. Started playing in 1960, by 1985 had reached a level where given a decent break
shot could run in the 30's a couple of times in a game to 150. That was it, no matter how much I played that was the top level that I would reach. Found the same in bowling, reached a 172 average in league play at age 19, still at 173 at age 30.