Plow Through Breaks?

14-1StraightMan

High Run 127
Silver Member
Again, I think it's apocryphal, like saying Mosconi or Greenleaf used a stroke slip, but I've heard they both could have the ball hit the rack, wander away for a while and come back to the stack without hitting a rail. This is a little bit different than the shot that plows into the stack with topspin right after the first impact...

...It's probably just another pool legend that isn't so. I'll have to take a video or screen shots from The Hustler tonight to post.

I guess I did not go into details like I should of in my comment above when speaking about Mr. Kinman's shot. It is the same as Mosconi's. The cue ball will make contact with the rack. I have seen it pause then go forward & other times go backwards from the stack and then go forward pushing it's way threw the rack. Like I said, I have never seen anyone else do it while playing or just watching some great players over my life time. Mr. Kinman was very close friends with Mosconi. Maybe Willie taught him how to do it. I should of questioned him about it. I just figured it was great follow & nothing else.

Last edited:

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
...It's probably just another pool legend that isn't so. I'll have to take a video or screen shots from The Hustler tonight to post.

The cue ball is just rebounding off the pack. If the balls in the pack are touching each other, the effective mass is much greater than the mass of just the cue ball. So, the cue ball bounces off the contact ball in the pack and then the follow takes over, sending it back through.

I've executed this shot from time to time. However, I think my cloth is too slow and the cue ball not greased up enough to be able to do it more frequently. My guess is you just have to have the correct angle into the pack so the cue ball doesn't go around it on the second time through.

I'd like to see a video clip if you can do it. I don't have a copy of The Hustler.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Again, I think it's apocryphal, like saying Mosconi or Greenleaf used a stroke slip, but I've heard they both could have the ball hit the rack, wander away for a while and come back to the stack without hitting a rail. This is a little bit different than the shot that plows into the stack with topspin right after the first impact...

No, his cue ball behaved differently and did as described. I've mentioned it before:

"He (Mosconi) did the usual exhibition that I had seen several times before and it was still fascinating. Particularly, as I've mentioned before, because of the way his cue ball behaved. It was extraordinary how it would muscle into the balls and keep diving into them again and again until it had plowed through them all and come out the other side of the cluster or stack, totally unscathed."

It was like there was small engine inside it.

Lou Figueroa