Are there any pool players who still want to win a big score

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know there are a few who might bet a hundred or two
given the right circumstances

most wanna be pool hustlers travel,they even dream of the big score.

A few may even have some halfway idea how it might happen,
but to really put some time into thinking beyond getting a guy with money,getting ahead,raising the bet,not even showing my best speed

Not one out of a thousand really thinks seriously what it takes

Imagine you walk into a pool room,you play like Robocop, nobody knows you.The place has a reputation for action.
What do you think?

Do you think you can walk up to the guy and say"you wanna play some for a couple of grand"

Or the old standby,"you wanna play some cheap /"

Right away ,anybody with a lick of sense gets suspicious

Oh,you might get lucky and win a few,but by that time you've wised them up,and you have no idea what they have waiting in reserve for you

I have the sneaky suspicion ,youguys have more interest in improving your aiming system than you do in winning a bundle

If enough of you guys are interested i might share some secrets to getting
that big bet ,nurturing the game along,and waling away wealthy

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

but to really put some time into thinking beyond getting a guy with money,getting ahead,raising the bet,not even showing my best speed

Imagine you walk into a pool room,you play like Robocop, nobody knows you.The place has a reputation for action.
What do you think?

Do you think you can walk up to the guy and say"you wanna play some for a couple of grand"

Oh,you might get lucky and win a few,but by that time you've wised them up,and you have no idea what they have waiting in reserve for you

I have the sneaky suspicion ,youguys have more interest in improving your aiming system than you do in winning a bundle

Not the flashiest infomercial, but maybe it will be effective. Good luck

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many 'if you are interested I'll...' do you need to wave?

Of course some are interested, that's the kind of place this is.

Out with it.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you think?

Deano, i used to know this guy whose move was to walk in a joint and go straight to " any of you guys/nits/wanna'be's(he had many terms) wanna play for $100-200 a game?" His thought was i don't have the time/patience for small crap. Either someone was gonna bet it up or he was out the door. Probably wouldn't work these days but that cat made a lot with this approach. I'm sure yours is far more subtle(and lucrative) but probably requires a tad more finesse and patience. ;)

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What do you think?

What you are proposing would be extremely difficult to do nowadays given cell phones and the interweb.

Back in the day, a player could travel the country and settle down in a spot for weeks for a long con. These days, an unknown walks into the pool room who can play a little bit and someone is whipping out a phone, snapping a photo and/or video and posting it or sending it around to friends in other cities and states.

Lou Figueroa

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What you are proposing would be extremely difficult to do nowadays given cell phones and the interweb.

Back in the day, a player could travel the country and settle down in a spot for weeks for a long con. These days, an unknown walks into the pool room who can play a little bit and someone is whipping out a phone, snapping a photo and/or video and posting it or sending it around to friends in other cities and states.

Lou Figueroa
You got that right. If a guy could come up with a cheap cell-phone blocker he'd get rich quik. Every pool player would buy one. ;)

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Big score?...I’m not greedy...20 or 30 million will do.

My biggest win in one session was 14 Gs....
...but I didn’t need three stakehorses to get around...it all went into my pocket..
...that was back when I could stay at a Motel 6 for less than $10 a night...
...so I guess it was pretty good...

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big score?...I’m not greedy...20 or 30 million will do.

My biggest win in one session was 14 Gs....
...but I didn’t need three stakehorses to get around...it all went into my pocket..
...that was back when I could stay at a Motel 6 for less than $10 a night...
...so I guess it was pretty good...

PT, clear some message space, please!

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

What do you think?

Gambling and people who have allowed this behavior to take over pool, is the reason why the masses/ sponsors cannot trust it as a true and respected sport. We need real athletes with real discipline and not these bums who don't work and have ZERO ethics/ morals. Not here to argue, I read what you said and now you are reading what had to say: Love it or leave it, it is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Trent from Toledo

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Gambling and people who have allowed this behavior to take over pool, is the reason why the masses/ sponsors cannot trust it as a true and respected sport. We need real athletes with real discipline and not these bums who don't work and have ZERO ethics/ morals. Not here to argue, I read what you said and now you are reading what had to say: Love it or leave it, it is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Trent from Toledo
If gambling is a problem please explain this: the most successful/lucrative cue sport is snooker. You can bet on these matches anywhere right up to the last ball. The reasons that pool is not more mainstream are many no doubt. Gambling is way down on that list. BTW, i've been around gamblers for about 40yrs. There have been some dead-beats but to paint them all with the " bums with no morals" brush is idiotic. The majority that i've know have been pretty square-up guys just tryin' to make a living. Wish i could say the same for all the freak-show preachers/priests in the news over the same 40yrs.

Last edited:

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
If gambling is a problem please explain this: the most successful/lucrative cue sport is snooker. You can bet on these matches anywhere right up to the last ball. The reasons that pool is not more mainstream are many no doubt. Gambling is way down on that list. BTW, i've been around gamblers for about 40yrs. There have been some dead-beats but to paint them all with the " bums with no morals" brush is idiotic. The majority that i've know have been pretty square-up guys just tryin' to make a living. Wish i could say the same for all the freak-show preachers/priests in the news over the same 40yrs.

We all have our opinions. Like I said I have mine and I am sticking to it.

Gambling most likely hurts more people than it helps. I know a few people that are addicted to it and it is terrible.

Just because something is "successful" does not mean it is good for everyone, I am sure there are plenty of people who lose money that they never should have been betting in any fashion.

Another example: a local pro(I will not say his name) from my town is not even allowed in one of the pool rooms I service because people he had hustled came in there looking for him.
I also know a guy who has won over $70k in lottery over the last 5 years, he is the only person I know or ever met who it has benefitted.

I am not going to even address your comment about the last topic because it has nothing to do with the conversation at hand. Good day to you :)

Trent from Toledo

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

They’ve been gambling at golf about as long as pool...

C7E0CB7D-837C-462D-9175-B902FEFD4466.jpeg

Didn’t seem to hurt golf too much...hell, some caddies are millionaires.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member

Trent from Toledo

This is wrong on a couple fronts.

I wouldn't say gambling took over pool. As long as there have been sports, people have gambled on them and some people try to tilt the playing field in their favor.

Why is horse racing so respected? With horse racing you almost have to question, what came first the gambling part or the racing part. Plenty of people have tried to cheat or had foul play with that too.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm not possibly dropping several hundred if I'm not a real pool playing athlete and if I have any game whatsoever, it took discipline to develop it.

Now whether or not a player has ethics lies totally within the player of any sport, it has nothing to do with the game. I can find people with poor ethics in every sport. V easy to find with some high profile sports in the US.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
This is wrong on a couple fronts.

No, for a fact it is not wrong and this is because it is my opinion based upon my experience with the topic. I am not here to tell you it is right. I clearly stated that it was my opinion and I am sticking to it.
You obviously disagree and that is totally your business. Please, let's not try to make this about right and wrong. We are all allowed to share our opinions, correct?

Trent from Toledo :)

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
pool without gambling would be like poker without gambling

i used to play both,now i have succeeded in quitting poker and pool is next

forget my offer to reveal the instructive lesson,i am sure it is best for trent, all the young folk and myself

consider this offer over,my bad

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

I tried to give you rep for this post but I couldn't. I've gambled all my life and still do. I've managed to keep my integrity and reputation intact by being an honorable gambler. I pay off when I lose and expect the same in return.

When you get right down to it everything in life is a gamble. Buying property, stocks, gold or whatever all has inherent risk to it. Opening a business is even more risky.

I've been fortunate in business and other investments that make up for some bad habits I acquired along the way. I've made ten times as much money playing poker as pool, but I enjoyed my years in pool far more. In poker you sit on your ass all day, keep your mouth shut and study your opponents carefully. There is zero physical activity involved. Pool has a Zen to it unlike any other game I've played.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
you can still make big scores if you are shrewd. not every day but a few a year. and you dont get them by going into a pool room playing the best player. yea you can win a grand that isnt a big score its a days work or less.for a good gambler.

if you hang in a pool room you never ever shoot a good speed and always get giant spots and keep all games close even if it means losing. soon all the live ones only want to gamble with you and you only. you never play a good player as good players never have much money.

you never let idiots see you win or even know you won anything. so their cell phones are a non event and even if they did send your pic you arent going to play any of their broke friends for 20 dollars a game.
you find those somewhere that go off for big numbers and cultivate them and win in private. they dont want their loss to be pubic as much as you want your win to be private.

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
No, for a fact it is not wrong and this is because it is my opinion based upon my experience with the topic. I am not here to tell you it is right. I clearly stated that it was my opinion and I am sticking to it.
You obviously disagree and that is totally your business. Please, let's not try to make this about right and wrong. We are all allowed to share our opinions, correct?

Trent from Toledo :)

Anytime discussing opinions, there is always an assessment of those opinions. Whether it is vocalized or brought up is another thing.

My opinion is your opinion is wrong and I demonstrated why it is flawed. See, we're sharing our opinions :thumbup:

If I subject my opinion and I don't want to hear if it's right or wrong, I'm really not interested in the truth.

If my opinion is that players should stand up at the end of the stroke everytime, I expect someone will give me their opinion that I'm wrong. For the most part I am wrong w that opinion. Knowing I'm wrong and why in this case will make me a better player. That's part of why I come here, for people to confirm or criticize my theories and practices.

Edit: Btw, for a fact it is not wrong because it's your opinion? Wtf is that?

Last edited: