John Schmidt's 626

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'm pretty sure John played the shot with lots of right and a little draw. I don't see the cue ball changing speed abnormally after the shot. It may help to view the video at normal speed.

There has been a lot of discussion about this, but I would put up this challenge to anyone. If anyone thinks pure spin curved the cue ball toward the upper right corner pocket, than it should be reproduceable, on a level table. So far, nobody has come forward with that.

Also, the opposite case should be demonstrated, that is, with a break shot to the other side of the rack, with left english, a liittle draw, and the spin should curve the cue ball to the opposite corner pocket, the left one in the video.

If anyone can demonstrate that, I might be a believer. But, I have my doubts, measles spots and everything. If it's really reproduceable, any cue ball would probably do it, spots or otherwise. I doubt John went into the "contest" with a worn cue ball.

Much talk about horizontal spin versus vertical spin. But I would still say, someone reproduce what happened on with spin before jumping to conclusions. I personally think table anomaly can happen any time, even with a level table, a few specks of chalk dust, maybe somewhat of an air current, etc., the cue ball can roll off. But, keep an open mind.

All the best,
WW

Fast Lenny

Faster Than You...
Silver Member
John isn't releasing the video to the public because he wants to be paid for his effort as he should be. If we all put together a fund then maybe we could reward John with some monetary gain. I know there was this thread with some people saying they would contribute monies to the record breaker. Jay Helfert also with a standing offer of $10,000 for the video rights too, not sure if he will honor his word on it or back out. :smile:

https://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=319157

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-12 19.03.52.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-12 19.03.52.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 236

logical

Loose Rack
Silver Member
John isn't releasing the video to the public because he wants to be paid for his effort as he should be. If we all put together a fund then maybe we could reward John with some monetary gain. I know there was this thread with some people saying they would contribute monies to the record breaker. Jay Helfert also with a standing offer of $10,000 for the video rights too, not sure if he will honor his word on it or back out.

10 grand for 9 months and 2-3 people? They would have made $60,000 at Burger King.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John isn't releasing the video to the public because he wants to be paid for his effort as he should be. If we all put together a fund then maybe we could reward John with some monetary gain. I know there was this thread with some people saying they would contribute monies to the record breaker. Jay Helfert also with a standing offer of $10,000 for the video rights too, not sure if he will honor his word on it or back out. :smile:

I don't believe there was ever any plan he could have come up with that would have made a decent amount of money.

It was a attempt at a record only a small number of 14.1 fans even know exists. Most pool players today don't even know what 14.1 is. Now, after all this time (and doubt), I wouldn't contribute a nickel.

Lou Figueroa

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
There has been a lot of discussion about this, but I would put up this challenge to anyone. If anyone thinks pure spin curved the cue ball toward the upper right corner pocket, than it should be reproduceable, on a level table. So far, nobody has come forward with that.

I just did it from both sides as requested....

I will be in touch with JS and see if we can strike up a deal to make it a "bonus feature" on his 626 release, with some royalties of course.

Figured if I managed to pull off this seemingly possible feat I should get paid for it ;)

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm gonna pretend that John got a bad roll and just give him BIH and let him clean it real good then continue. I have his run scored at 23,207 as of last night.
It would have been higher but there were a couple unforseen scratches that weren't his fault and 3 balls that refused to fall when everyone knows they should have fell, which all led to some timely disputes.
Carry on John, you da man.
(anyone know where I can get a T-shirt with 26 on the front and 526 on the back)?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
If anyone thinks pure spin curved the cue ball toward the upper right corner pocket, than it should be reproduceable, on a level table. So far, nobody has come forward with that.
I haven't seen anybody make that claim. I've heard that the ball might have something on its surface, right at the place it touches the cloth while spinning, that might make it roll off - like some chalk or a measle that isn't quite smooth.

pj
chgo

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't seen anybody make that claim. I've heard that the ball might have something on its surface, right at the place it touches the cloth while spinning, that might make it roll off - like some chalk or a measle that isn't quite smooth.

pj
chgo

I mentioned it a few posts ago, it was just a thought.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't believe there was ever any plan he could have come up with that would have made a decent amount of money.

It was a attempt at a record only a small number of 14.1 fans even know exists. Most pool players today don't even know what 14.1 is. Now, after all this time (and doubt), I wouldn't contribute a nickel.

Lou Figueroa

I sure hope he completed a shot-by-shot narrative overdub before memory faded.

No doubt he never expected to make back his expenses, but even with the limited market, if he doesn’t release a DVD for sale soon, that opportunity may well be totally lost.
He had a real chance to inject some revived interest in the classical ‘championship’ game, but with faded enthusiasm, his record attempt & accomplishment now seems rather moot. A shame.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I just did it from both sides as requested....

I will be in touch with JS and see if we can strike up a deal to make it a "bonus feature" on his 626 release, with some royalties of course.

Figured if I managed to pull off this seemingly possible feat I should get paid for it ;)

Please put it up for view. As I said, I haven't seen in replicated.

All the best,
WW

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
yep

Lou Figueroa

This is correct, I want nothing to do with j.s.or bca - they are trying to steal Mosconi's record - without showing proof, I guess he figures to be able to sweep it under the rug about not showing un edited video to the people. He is affiliated with special interest groups that are crooked fake news jerks. At b.s. 434 (j.s. true high run) the ball turned due to a heated slate - guaranteed, so again keep focus on heated slate 434 video as a distraction from not having to show the phony 626 chopped turd video. Last time I checked j.s.'s high run in 14.1 = 366 and 434 (un edited video I think is available for these two particular runs - hmm) funny how they did not show unedited video proof on their supposed 626)?

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is correct, I want nothing to do with j.s. - he has tried to steal Mosconi's record - without showing proof, I guess he figures to be able to sweep it under the rug about not showing un edited video to the people. He is affiliated with special interest groups that are crooked fake news jerks. At b.s. 434 (j.s. true high run) the ball turned due to a heated slate - guaranteed, so again keep focus on heated slate 434 video as a distraction from not having to show the phony 626 chopped turd video.

Fake news.

Heated slate caused a ball to turn...riiiiight.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
do trust yer eyes

This reminds me of the science fair project I did in 8th grade. Basically, I took the blades off a fan and replaced them with colored papers. At the right speed the colors merge and you'll see the combination of those two colors. Blue and yellow makes green, etc.

Don't trust your eyes.

No exactly wrong, do trust yer eyes - as long as it's verifiable unedited video ,don't look like their rocket will take off - possibly a problem in the bca/j.s. video propulsion of engineering in their tapestry.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
good question

I have to wonder if this controversy will ever be settled.

So does john and bca. For right now they own their little slice of histeria' - it's not ny or chicago style either - sumthin' else i think. Don't let Mikey try it - he won't like it either - fake news and phony chopped video are bad for the digestion.

Last edited:

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
if it walks like a duck

How does it devalue Mosconi's record? For me, his record is his world championships and no one is taking those away. His 526 ball run, as a casual one off essentially, is even more impressive, knowing the effort now of a top player to equal it. He's shown that Mosconi was truly in another class.

Unfortunately, the video is the property of John, not the BCA. To me, his doubters are the only ones really giving the video any value now.

There is NO "the video" but yer a weird duck, 4 u - I think rhetorical questions we will see more of eh? Obviously the validity to the bca and j.s. phoney 626 is being highly questioned. For their to be a 'video' there has to be un edited video, right now they just own a piece of histeria'. So it's been noted that u are in habit of asking rhetorical questions. hm thats a tough one - how could trying to dismantling Mosconi's true record of 526 - with the only evidence in existance - being a hidden chopped video (the general public are not allowed to see) hurt Mosconi's good name? Gee hard to figure? Not sure u meant with "as a casual one off essentially" but yea thats kinda funny way of belittling Mosconi's record even more impressive b.s.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I took a quick look at who the BCA is and did not like what I saw viewing it from my position as an amateur player. Who are the directors? How are they elected? Is there, or has there ever been, a director who is a player? Are there rules and regulations addressing how a "world record" is to be pursued? Are there rules and regulations addressing how a purported "world record" is to be certified?

When I jumped into this mess, I did not realize we were talking about an event that occurred almost 18 months ago. At this point, odds are great that an unedited copy will not be released in our lifetimes. By the time it is released, if ever, 14:1 will only be a memory and some official and unofficial record entries.

Pool has faced many crises over the years and survived through the hardest. I am afraid that Covid 19 presents another such challenge. This leaves us to consider how do we find ourselves in such a position? Pool has always suffered from a lack of organization which casts doubt on its fundamental legitimacy. I would like to think that the instant issue might provide sufficient impetus to cause pool to become a truly organized sport. However, I am very afraid that words/ideas such as these have been forwarded on many occasions and have gone unanswered.

Dan Harriman

One of the best in 14.1
Silver Member
To any honest 14.1 top players

I have dedicated part of my life to trying to surpass Mosconi's 526 on the 9' table, bout ten yrs ago I thought I was going to maybe get there - a bad outside english skid (not a soft pace either) stopped me in my tracks non insulated room - ouch. I released the video of 351 and have since started to play less 14.1 on 9' and more on the 10'. What bothers me the most about them not showing un edited video for sale to the john cue' public is how it may affect anyone else, who has a dream of running more racks than Mosconi.

Not showing proof - and receiving some yellow journalism as recognition could discourage a true and honest student of 14.1 - who might actually have the ability, heart, and courage to surpass Willie's awesome 526. I.e. 'oh know one really cares if John's chopped video is legit - so what is the big deal to surpass the 526'. Don't let them fool you into thinking it's a waste of time to practice 14.1 and have a personal goal or goal's to set - it's not. It IS like Earl said a great game played by complicated people. So again, it is possible to surpass 526, I recommend an insulated room environment, a dehumidifier, over head camera (for unedited footage) and plenty of honest Straight shooting. Don't let john and his crooked bca bureaucratic puppets lead you to thinking it ain't worth trying - on the square - or that Mosconi's 526 is not a significant accomplishment. As long as you have unedited footage - you will be able to silence any form of naysayers'. Again the current record to surpass in 14.1 on any size table with spherical objects = 526. With un edited footage - open for sale to public - for proof - you will have no problem monetizing sum' small fortune. If I get past 526 on this tight Kling and Allen 5x10 - I will not hide the tape from the public.

Last edited: