Re:Charlie Lane

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Many people on AZ knew Charlie Lane, a very good player from Chattanooga, Tn, especially those from Tn, Ga, Al. He passed away June 1st or 2nd after battling cancer. Wanted to inform those who knew him but may not have heard the sad news.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many people on AZ knew Charlie Lane, a very good player from Chattanooga, Tn, especially those from Tn, Ga, Al. He passed away June 1st or 2nd after battling cancer. Wanted to inform those who knew him but may not have heard the sad news.

So sad. He was only 64, according ot his obituary ---> HERE

He has a very kind face. RIP, Charlie Lane!

Attachments

• article.252481.jpg
    article.252481.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 858

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Man I really hate to hear this, knew Charlie very well but hadn't seen him in a couple years now.

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Last edited:

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I met Charlie Lane in the early 80's and then again in the 90's, he was a nice fellow. We never played pool for money against each other but I did play a friend of his named Hue Coleman and a few other local pool players, too many to name. Hue was a good player and LOVED to gamble. I wonder if Huey is still alive. Has anyone heard or know about him? I spent several weeks in Chattanooga that year. I think Charlie lived in Ringgold GA. Charlie wanted me to play Harold Smith from South Pittsburg TN but I never got to play him. Charlie always steered me right and we always made money. I surprised and saddened to hear that Charlie has passed away at such a young age. He was truly a nice fellow and a really talented pool player. May he RIP.

Huey has been dead for some time.

MisterBanker

Appalachain American
Silver Member
Saw Charlie a lot during the '90s. He was a very good player, had some great stories, and just a classy guy. I haven't seen him since then but would hear his name mentioned now and again.

Sad to hear about this.

Doug

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Doug...I missed your post when you put it up here. Sorry for the loss of your friend! Happy travels on your big annual cruise! :D

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Thanks Scott. Yep, my annual motorcycle trip west begins in a few weeks and as usual my wife and I are looking forward to a fun trip. Of course we'll be going to your former state, MT, then eventually to Santa Fe, NM. Other than those destinations we will just be wandering around looking for a cold beer, lol. Come see me when in TN.

Scott Lee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Doug...It's a bit of a hike from MT to NM! LOL I look forward to seeing you again in TN...it's been way too long! Safe travels my friend! :thumbup:

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com

Thanks Scott. Yep, my annual motorcycle trip west begins in a few weeks and as usual my wife and I are looking forward to a fun trip. Of course we'll be going to your former state, MT, then eventually to Santa Fe, NM. Other than those destinations we will just be wandering around looking for a cold beer, lol. Come see me when in TN.

spktur

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some stories about Charlie and pool but I'll get to them later.

On my visits to Chattanooga, I played many different players, some I remember their names and some I don't. When I came into town sometimes Charlie steered me around, other times it was Bernie (Vernon Elliott) and a lot of times I was on my own. Bernie never went with me, he only pointed me in the right direction. He said that him going with me would only queer my action. Someone posted that Hue Coleman has been dead for some time. I'm sorry to hear that he had a lot of heart. I played Huey several times while Charlie was around and sometimes when he wasn't. Huey was really a good score if you could beat him, at my speed, we were evenly matched, so I was truly gambling. Huey was very theatrical. He was a showman and it was quite the gamble for me when we played. By the way, does anyone know how Huey died?

Can anyone give me an update on any of these players that played in and around Chattanooga, Tennessee in the late 70's and 80's? Glenn Young, Billy Johnson, a girl named Cathy, Terry Blevins (Hixson), Stanley Williams, David Henry (Charlie said I could not play him because they were friends), Phil Hunt, Jeff Pope (a good left-handed player), William Dixon, Mickey Crye, Mark, who was a red- headed fellow who played around Rossville (I don't remember his last name), David "somebody" and a fellow I never knew his name but they called him "The Golf Pro" (both from Rome, GA), Steve Beecher, Terry Deason, John Flood (all from the Dalton area), Charlie Baker (from Cleveland, TN)?

I did play player named Woody from Dayton, TN and made a heck of a score (almost $8000.00). Later, in about 2002 or 2003, I went through Dayton, TN and found out that Woody had went missing some time and was never heard of again.

I know Phil Windham went on to start Chattanooga Billiard Club and is doing very well.

More on Charlie Lane later, I will share some good stories!

Glenn Young is gone. Billy Johnson is still around but no longer plays. Cathy was Butch's girlfriend and they broke up and she no longer plays. Terry Bivens just plays golf as far as I know. Stanley Williams rarely comes around anymore and doesn't play as far as I know. David Henry is still around and plays some. Phil Hunt dstill has EJ's on the Boulevard. Jeff Pope I don't know. William Dixon was in an accident and was in a nursing home the last I heard. Mickey Crye I don't know. Red headed Mark is probably still hanging around the boulevard, I don't get down there anymore. I remember 'golf pro' but don't have any news on him. I think Steve Beecher is dead. Terry Deason died of cancer. Haven't heard anything from Flood for years. Charlie Baker died in a car wreck. I haven't heard anything about Dayton Woody for a long time. Phil Windham now has three poolrooms and is doing great.
If you could PM me I would really like to know who you are.

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who are you spktur? If you give me your name, perhaps I'll remember you. I don't think anyone would remember me. I was in and out a lot and only briefly know a few of the people l listed. I just went through my book and pulled out some names of folks I met while I was there.

Last edited:

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Billy Johnson I know is from Billy Johnson from Chattanooga. Lets say Billy's a professional gambler/ semi pool player. NOT Wade Crane!

Last edited:

Horsetrader

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
William Dixon was hit by a car in 1986, paralyzed from the chess down and put into Hamilton county nursing home in Chattanooga TN, Good man, good pool player!

Last edited: