Power Pool with Jim Rempe and Loree Jon Jones

Positively Ralf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Someone on youtube uploaded the entire VHS from 1988 and it seems to be a more advanced instructional show. Anyone have experience with this content and if the stuff showed on there can still be applied to today?

CraigVW

Registered
I watched it and I feel there is plenty of useful things in there. No matter how old it is if you can learn 1 thing it’s well worth it that’s the way I look at it anyways and the best part it’s free!

GentlemanJames

Back when I was a kid, Jim 'King James' Rempe was THE man - and, still is I have no doubt - however, you are correct about the 'depth of teaching vs. entertaining show' on his tapes - and, the same really holds true for Jimmy's other tape: 'How To Run 100 Balls' (which we used to call: 'Watch Jim Rempe Run 100 Balls'). To really get anything out of Jim's tapes you already have to know and understand what it is he's showing you. Also, as CraigVW pointed out, if learn one thing, you got your monies worth; and you should pick at least one thing up; but, do not expect Jim's tape(s) to take someone from from cradle to grave; if you do, you'll just end-up watching an exhibition of Jim's beautiful technique. The other thing is, Jim is very fast in explaining the selections and decisions he makes, and he generally does not go through the detailed basics of how he comes to his thinking when over a table; he simply tells you what his thinking is - which is more of an the experience of listening to Jim share his inner-dialog as he shoots the lights out. More advanced players who already know what Jim is doing will benefit the most from Jim's level of teaching. I've no doubt these tapes have helped fine-tune the playing of those who already have a game; but, not so much for the beginner and mid-level player. The higher-level player will actually learn more from simply observing the nuances of Jim's style and listening to Jim's thought process, by comparing what they see Jim do, to that of what they already know to do themselves, and evaluate their style/methodology in comparison to how 'King James' does it... and does so beautifully. - GJ

Reactions: bbb