Bought Dale Perry Cue - Partial Review

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello ,

If this is in the wrong section please move to right one, I have read post on here about people talking about Dale Perry Cues from Ebay. After much thought and seeing people talk about them Curiosity got the best of me. I had to find out for myself so I watched Ebay to find one that I liked the look of. Some of them were to me sort of had cheap designs to them but a few looked really nice. Finally a sweet looking smoke color cue that I thought looked really nice so I took the plunge and ordered it, It Arrived today. I have to say it looks really nice , finish is flawless . It is a beauty , I have not got to take a shot with it yet but plan to once the virus is up and get to resume playing. The Cue is really nice and the wrap is perfect , it is pressed and feels very nice. inlay work looks fabulous . the points are rounded off which is not a big deal but I like them sharp. On the shaft , I will have my guy turn it down a bit just a tad thick for me, but it looks nice and the taper is not to bad but I like them like a Meucci . So once I get that lined out I believe it will be a nice cue. It came with a certificate of Authenticity also and just going by looks it well worth the price of admission , here are pics I borrowed from Ebay. I Called Dale when I won the Bid and ask him to make the weight 19 oz and I ask him about Joint Protectors and he told me he preferred people to buy them from him at $ 15 a set so I did. You can get them here for $ 6.99 a set just Fye .

Attachments

• s-l1600  dp2.jpg
    s-l1600 dp2.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 708
  • s-l1600  dp3.jpg
    s-l1600 dp3.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 733
  • s-l1600 dp.jpg
    s-l1600 dp.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
My buddy George must have owned a dozen of the Dale Perry +++++, E-bay specials, he would buy em for $99.00 or so. He would go with a few bar tournment, and some one would say nice Cue. He would say I have a back up in my Case I would sell. Alway shad this 3 X 6 with two for sale. Would get $175.00 - $200.00 per sale. Think that all he played with Dale Perry, because they were good for the money, plus he was a bar player.

BTW hope you love your new Cue from DP.:thumbup:

Last edited:

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What is the threading on the weight bolts and does it have dedicated threads for an extension? When you take off the bumper, how big is the hole and does it recess smoothly?

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Hello ,

If this is in the wrong section please move to right one, I have read post on here about people talking about Dale Perry Cues from Ebay. After much thought and seeing people talk about them Curiosity got the best of me. I had to find out for myself so I watched Ebay to find one that I liked the look of. Some of them were to me sort of had cheap designs to them but a few looked really nice. Finally a sweet looking smoke color cue that I thought looked really nice so I took the plunge and ordered it, It Arrived today. I have to say it looks really nice , finish is flawless . It is a beauty , I have not got to take a shot with it yet but plan to once the virus is up and get to resume playing. The Cue is really nice and the wrap is perfect , it is pressed and feels very nice. inlay work looks fabulous . the points are rounded off which is not a big deal but I like them sharp. On the shaft , I will have my guy turn it down a bit just a tad thick for me, but it looks nice and the taper is not to bad but I like them like a Meucci . So once I get that lined out I believe it will be a nice cue. It came with a certificate of Authenticity also and just going by looks it well worth the price of admission , here are pics I borrowed from Ebay. I Called Dale when I won the Bid and ask him to make the weight 19 oz and I ask him about Joint Protectors and he told me he preferred people to buy them from him at $ 15 a set so I did. You can get them here for $ 6.99 a set just Fye .

Nice .

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you like the cue, but I would not get my hopes up if I were you. I was very disappointed with the quality, feel, and hit of every DP cue that I ever ordered from DP.

I once ordered a sneaky from him, and the butt cracked on me the 1st night that I took it out to shoot with it. I did not hit it up against anything, and have always been very careful with my cues, so I did not understand how it cracked. He blamed me though, when I complained about it.

The shaft wood always seemed to be of very low quality too.

His older Uni Loc cues, from the 90's seemed to be very good quality, and I really enjoyed the few that I have played with over the years. His older cues, from before he started selling on ebay, seemed to be very high quality, in my opinion.

Even for just $150, I would not want one of his newer cues. I think there are higher quality options out there, even in that price range.

I do hope you like your new DP cue though.

I see that he is making wrapless cues now, and I do really love some of the wrapless handles on those cues.

I hope I like the Hit of it , but it looks really nice. To tell you the truth it reminds me of a McDermott . The bolt looks a lot like one , but the shaft will have to be turned down and the taper made longer and thinner for me. The IV shaft looks just like a McDermott as well including the ferrule which I do not like also. I like the look of a longer Ferrule.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope I like the Hit of it , but it looks really nice. To tell you the truth it reminds me of a McDermott . The bolt looks a lot like one , but the shaft will have to be turned down and the taper made longer and thinner for me. The IV shaft looks just like a McDermott as well including the ferrule which I do not like also. I like the look of a longer Ferrule.

Are you talking to your other account?

I am very sorry, I tried to delete all that stuff I said, but did not edit it in time. I have just had a few bad experiences with DP cues in the past (that I will never forget), but I do really love his older cues.

You spoke about the taper of the shaft. That is one thing that I really did not like about his cues. I really hated the taper that he put on the cues that I ordered directly from him. Worst taper I ever felt on a cue.

The shafts I got from him were not the Stage 4 shafts though. They were just horrible quality shafts, in my opinion.

Anyways, I hope you like the cue. The good part is that you will never lose money on a DP cue, if you do not like it. They are easy to resell.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why didn't you get Dale to taper it the way you wanted before he shipped it?

I talked to him before I bought mine online and then got it. He told me that he would taper it any way I wanted it for no charge.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why didn't you get Dale to taper it the way you wanted before he shipped it?

I talked to him before I bought mine online and then got it. He told me that he would taper it any way I wanted it for no charge.

I wished I had him do so , I did not know what they looked like . Hard to tell from picture. I love the Meucci taper , their shafts taper fits me to a T

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I paid $139 for the one I got, and I think that my have been with free shipping.

I bought it just for the hell of it to see what kind of cue they actually were to be selling so cheap.

I loved the look of the butt of the cue I had. It wasn't cheap or flashy looking. It had some simple black inlays and the wood was a really nice dark brown with black grain and it had a black wrap with brown specks.

The cue was well balanced and the weight was good. I ordered it at 19 ounces and Dale through a couple extra weight bolts in for free that would bring it up to 19.5 or 20 ounces.

I got the standard shaft with the long pro taper and the wood seemed to be kind of grainy and wouldn't slick up real good no matter how fine a sandpaper I used. It had quite a bit of deflection, too. I think the cue would have played much better if the shaft would have been better quality.

For the price, the cue wasn't a bad deal at all and probably better than a lot of deals. I know a couple guys who use Dale Perry butts and REVO shafts.

If I had some radial shafts with plain black collars that would fit those cues, I wouldn't mind ordering another one just to get the butt. The only radial shafts I have are the Murray Tucker shafts that go with my custom Sneaky Pete and those rings would look funky with a non-matching Dale Perry butt.

I sold the Dale Perry to a guy in Hawaiian Brian's for exactly what I paid for it. I probably could have gotten a bit more, but all I wanted was my money back after a chance to experiment with the cue.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think I paid $139 for the one I got, and I think that my have been with free shipping.

I bought it just for the hell of it to see what kind of cue they actually were to be selling so cheap.

I loved the look of the butt of the cue I had. It wasn't cheap or flashy looking. It had some simple black inlays and the wood was a really nice dark brown with black grain and it had a black wrap with brown specks.

The cue was well balanced and the weight was good. I ordered it at 19 ounces and Dale through a couple extra weight bolts in for free that would bring it up to 19.5 or 20 ounces.

I got the standard shaft with the long pro taper and the wood seemed to be kind of grainy and wouldn't slick up real good no matter how fine a sandpaper I used. It had quite a bit of deflection, too. I think the cue would have played much better if the shaft would have been better quality.

For the price, the cue wasn't a bad deal at all and probably better than a lot of deals. I know a couple guys who use Dale Perry butts and REVO shafts.

If I had some radial shafts with plain black collars that would fit those cues, I wouldn't mind ordering another one just to get the butt. The only radial shafts I have are the Murray Tucker shafts that go with my custom Sneaky Pete and those rings would look funky with a non-matching Dale Perry butt.

I sold the Dale Perry to a guy in Hawaiian Brian's for exactly what I paid for it. I probably could have gotten a bit more, but all I wanted was my money back after a chance to experiment with the cue.

I did my usual clean up on the shaft with Parchment paper to heat it up and finished with Johnson floor wax and it is pretty slick now. The shaft does not feel bad but the taper is a bit thick for me. I paid $ 99 .00 for the cue and $ 20.00 for shipping. I hate that I paid 15 bux for the joint protectors when I could have got them for $ 6.99 from Ebay

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My apologies, guess I was mistaken.

That is ok Snooker , I tried to send you a Pm , I could not remember If I sent you a pm Thanking you for steering me on to those cases. I love mine and plan to get another, you were spot on ! They are a fantastic value for the money. It says your pm box is to full and you cannot accept anymore until you clean it out .

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is ok Snooker , I tried to send you a Pm , I could not remember If I sent you a pm Thanking you for steering me on to those cases. I love mine and plan to get another, you were spot on ! They are a fantastic value for the money. It says your pm box is to full and you cannot accept anymore until you clean it out .

I couldn't be happier with that case, glad you like it too. Nothing better on the market at that price point that I know of.

PoolFan101

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I couldn't be happier with that case, glad you like it too. Nothing better on the market at that price point that I know of.

Yes Sir you are right . I was very impressed for the price , It is one of the nicest cases I have seen under $500 . The Cues sit perfect height to, I just got a new Nick Varner case in a trade a few days ago and it is a sharp looking case but the butts sit way to low for me. I thought about buying another case like we got just to put back , hard to beat for the price for sure.