What is a "French tip?"

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy I play with regularly recently got his cue re tipped with what he says is a "French tip." Really thin,shallow tip. Never heard of it before, and a google search only lead to me Le Pro tips. Is that what he meant?

erriep

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A guy I play with regularly recently got his cue re tipped with what he says is a "French tip." Really thin,shallow tip. Never heard of it before, and a google search only lead to me Le Pro tips. Is that what he meant?

possibly old leather tips made by Chandivert (France) , like Champion, Crown, Royal , Eureka , Match ... They were famous, at this time ..period..

phil dade

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

A french tip, 50 years ago, referred to a ferrule that was longer, thinner at the base, and flared at the end for a wider leather tip. I do not remember id the actual tip part was thicker. It permitted a thinner shaft yet a more normal surface contact to the ball. I was a teenager and the real players did not think much of them or the guys who used them. This was a sub shortstop thing so to speak.

leto1776

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Going by your description, must just belong to a certain brand, as his has nothing special done to the shaft.

slip

Banned
A french tip, 50 years ago, referred to a ferrule that was longer, thinner at the base,
and flared at the end for a wider leather tip.
I do not remember id the actual tip part was thicker. It permitted a thinner shaft yet
a more normal surface contact to the ball.
I was a teenager and the real players did not think much of them or the guys who used them.
This was a sub shortstop thing so to speak.

spot on, modern day players substitute 14mm tips in place of stock 11mm.
the 14mm tip is centered as best as possible and it's stuck on, unshaven, as-is.
this is regularly done, and there is also a "french shaft taper", which has nothing to do with
the french tip or flared ferrule.

formula:
smaller diameter = higher degree of expertise needed, larger diameter does not.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
B. B. from France used to make most of the tips decades ago. Then LePro an American made "French Style" tip took over here and the French tips lost popularity. He may have one of the B.B. Tips like Champion, Crown, Rocky or one of the others. They were all low height tips compared to our USA tips.

owll

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what is a french tip? one that promptly surrenders when under duress? hmm, dont think id want one on my cue, it might run off with my cue attached whenever someone woofed my way :)

dougster26

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always thought it was the pointed end of any shaft, stick, pole, etc, etc that they hung the white flag on.