Yes, things DO change!

Wags

2 pocket-one pocket table
Silver Member
Congratulations to the BEF and Laura Smith.

They have done something this year that I believe is a major step for the junior program, holding the nationals in a pool room. It had been tied to the Association of College Unions International national event for many years.

The rooms with junior programs are the ones that deserved the tournament all along. The rooms are the ones that basically donate time and facilities to improve the play of the youth. They should reap some of the benefits of holding a national event, if the facility has enough tables and space to meet the tournament requirements.

This can be very important to northern rooms as the BEF is held in the summer and most of those rooms have no business at that time. To have 150 entrants and parents for x number of days at their facility can be a great situation.

There are other reasons I am excited about this and I am glad that Romine's High Pockets in Milwaukee is holding the tournament. They are a class establishment, been around a long time and will do what is necessary for a successful event.

Once again, congratulations BEF for making this major change in venue.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

They have done something this year that I believe is a major step for the junior program, holding the nationals in a pool room. It had been tied to the Association of College Unions International national event for many years.

The rooms with junior programs are the ones that deserved the tournament all along. The rooms are the ones that basically donate time and facilities to improve the play of the youth. They should reap some of the benefits of holding a national event, if the facility has enough tables and space to meet the tournament requirements.

This can be very important to northern rooms as the BEF is held in the summer and most of those rooms have no business at that time. To have 150 entrants and parents for x number of days at their facility can be a great situation.

There are other reasons I am excited about this and I am glad that Romine's High Pockets in Milwaukee is holding the tournament. They are a class establishment, been around a long time and will do what is necessary for a successful event.

I loves me some Laura Smith - kudos to her, BEF & Romine's.

Dave

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

This is great news. In my very best Ryan Seacrest voice, I feel like shouting it from the rooftops: THIS [pause] is American pool! :cool:

I enjoy threads like this. I wish there were more of them on our forum. It seems like the flame threads in pool get the attention, resulting in multiple pages and thousands of hits, yet a very positive pool thread, such as this, gets buried with little to no activity. I don't understand why!

We should all praise this very worthy effort. Bravo to BEF and Laura Smith!

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member

Many yrs, may be a stretch, was always in pool rooms since mid 2000's and before.

Here's my thoughts:

I remember vividly, the Hardwick sisters at the Jr. Nationals, Chelsea and Allison, 8& 10 yrs old....Magoos, Anna K was there too.
While there, it didn't feel right mixing kids with cigarette smoke, liquor, bar activities and such. I have kids, isn't WI a smoking state?

If there is smoking, hopefully it will be outside.

Romines, one of my favorite pool rooms.
But;
I don't think it right having....Really young kids in bars. We know, tourneys do run late.