Jayson Shaw: Worst coach ever?

DecentShot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you know what he actually said? Know either of them personally to know all the context that may have gone into the remarks?

Could have said exactly what Filler needed to hear - without them commenting on it, no way you would know it was inappropriate.

1. Its Team Euro Trash so who cares
2. It's Jayson Shaw and I'm fine with jumping to conclusions.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was sitting right behind the Europeans chair and was watching closely every time Shaw was talking to Filler including when Shaw was pointing back towards the table explaining things
What he was telling Filler was he's noticed something about the break and how the balls are opening up.
He was adamant Filler needs to break from the other side.
Filler did and if I remember that break worked he made the wing ball.
I actually congratulated Shaw on his coaching at the after party and he thanked me and confirmed that's what he was telling Filler.

I was actually shocked players from both teams stuck to breaking from the left side of the table in some matches where the wing ball wasn't going in.

You know, here's the thing. There is a way to coach someone and there is way to not coach them. Filler appears to be very low key in his movements and tempo at the table. If this conversation got him too aroused or energized mentally, it could affect his physical discipline in some finite way. In other words it could have altered his natural flow of energy, if that makes sense. This could be enough to cause him to mishit a ball like he did on the four because his level of concentration had been slightly altered.

I know this sounds esoteric but that is the fine balance a player needs to excel at pool. Anything that upsets that delicate balance can be detrimental. Fist bumps notwithstanding, just because he acknowledged the advice Shaw was giving him does not mean it did not effect him internally to be spoken to in that manner. I contend that it did effect him, ever so slightly. Shaw could certainly have presented this information to him in a non confrontational way.

Let's just say Jeremy noticed the same thing and wanted to tell Shane about it during his match. Do any of you think it would have looked like that?

Last edited:

brilliance

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hi

Shaw should lead team Europe, he is a fighter, I have no idea where they picked that coach and under what criteria?

The biggest mistake was to leave Albin at home and invite Kaci who is out of shape. I bet Gorst and Albin would play much better than Feijin and Kaci.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shaw should lead team Europe, he is a fighter, I have no idea where they picked that coach and under what criteria?

The biggest mistake was to leave Albin at home and invite Kaci who is out of shape. I bet Gorst and Albin would play much better than Feijin and Kaci.

I think Kaci played a lot better than last year, he won both his singles against Styer. No, I almost agree with your proposed changes, but I would say Gorst and Albin (or Mario He and Albin) instead of Feijen and Kazakis. Then the euro-team would have won, I feel.

jayburger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably because he is now more established and respected as a powerhouse champion and has less to prove. Also, him and Billy are friends.

Depite all this nationalism rah-rah stuff, pool is really a brotherhood of players who happen to be from all over the world and our friendships transcend race and nationality.

You are exactly right tate...these guys(even myself from gambling) all know each other very well from week to week and respect each other and are basically friends to a certain extent. The phillipinos,particularly,are very friendly and just great to be around(alex and gomez particularly) and are stone cold killers on the table....the mosconi cup is a one week event and the players do play to the cameras some because ( i,m not SURE about this) but i,m assuming Matchroom encourages the us vs. them just like boxing and mma promoters do prefight faceoffs for the cameras....just good business

deanoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IN MY OPINION COACHING IS THE CAUSE OF POOR PLAY
MORE OFTEN THAN NOT

THE LITTLE LEAGERswings at a high pitch,next thing you know the coach,
who probably never played ball himself,waves his hand over his own head meaning the ball was over your head

next pitch is down the middle for a called strike two
because the little guy was afraid to swing and upset the coach

if the little guy has the guts to step up and swing,i say shut up it's his turn

the time for instruction is during paractice not the game

if someone takes a piece of my action,i don't want his advice on what i
am doing wrong

if he pesist after a request,i just lose till he is broke,adjust the next day
and win double

isn't that the way ronnie did it too

Last edited:

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Shaw is a good coach.
Neils Feijen's only point was playing with Shaw.
Shaw really held him up.

jeffj2h

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane's coaching?

Speaking of coaching, a thought on Shane's coaching: My guess is Shane's doubles partners would benefit if Shane gave a little LESS advice during matches.

I'm rewatching the matches and Shane makes a lot of comments on how his partner should play a shot. I noticed this last year too.

SVB/Woodard vs Filler/Kaci (Match 11, with the score 4-1 USA):
Skyler has a tricky angle on the 4, which carries the risk of snookering Shane for the next shot. Shane says "just draw it back". Skyler looks doubtfully at the table and seems to want to follow the ball. He ends up accidentally shooting a stop shot and misses the 4-ball all together. Seemed obvious he got into some kind of brain freeze because of Shane's comment.
Here it is:
https://youtu.be/H1WTcA2Us0M?t=1647

At the beginning of that same game Skyler has a long shot on the 1 with touchy shape to the 2. Shane says "go for the 9". A 1-9 carom exists but looks like a 1 in 10 crapshoot. Skyler blasts the balls, with no result, but does get lucky not to leave Europe a shot. My guess is Skyler would have wanted to shoot a safety.

Last edited:

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't mind Shaw challenging Filler to a legit action match. Best of 5, race to 21.