FYI,,,"Highway" Paul Baker passed away last night...

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I'm guessing that everything you know about pool, gambling, golf, horses, music, and gin rummey, Paul knew 10 times more than you. He absorbed himself in these things. When I first met him, he was considered the second best pool player in Iowa, with Don McCoy being first, so..not bad.

Every player in town owes Paul something for hearing one of those tidbits about pool and such and I know that some guys here on azb REALLY owe Paul some hat tips for what they learned from Paul and teach here.

I think he was 80. He was found in his car after being at the hall last night.

Someone on facebook said Big Dogs needs to put up a statute of him. I agree.

RIP

From the late 80's:

26804430_2107930909427271_6858246914525883292_n.jpg

From last night at Dog's:

26903825_10209204759950016_7968020975418737985_n.jpg

Jeff Livingston

franko

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can not

The old School players can not be replaced, the list keeps growing shorter .
RIP " Highway "

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Paul was a hustler's hustler! He could beat you at pool, golf or cards. One of the few guys I ever met that made a good living from gambling all his life. He stayed very low key, not one to draw too much attention to himself. His best move was claiming to be a golf hustler when he was in the poolroom and a pool hustler when he was at the golf course. Just saying that always seemed to get him action at both places. He was a jam up golfer, shooting scratch or maybe a one handicap. I first met Paul at Mergards in Cincy in 1965. We were both young guys but he was much smarter than me and already knew how to make a game...and win! I wanted to play everybody and anybody and took my lumps because of it.

We must have crossed paths a couple of dozen times in our lives and Paul always remembered where we left off. I guess I can say this now. I looked up to a guy like Paul, who lived life on his own terms and never wavered from that path. He was what he was and made no excuses for it! :yes:

Last edited:

mikeyfrost

Socially Aware
Silver Member
Paul is a legend! What a great guy and his life should be celebrated. He was always a tough draw in the tourneys. He loved the game.

9ballrob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I met Paul in the late summer of 1991, when I was in Des Moines scouting out a future retail location for the Mueller Sporting Goods store that opened in October of that year.

He was nice guy and a great player! We probably played 20-30 times over that fall and winter.

I ran into him at Big Dogs a couple of years ago and had a nice conversation with him.

My condolences to his family and friends.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow! This is so sad, but it warms my heart to see him recognized and loved. May he rest in peace!

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
29314047_1389370297835741_5949888722806767616_n.jpg

Near the real money tables at Big Dog's. Nice job.

Also......Congratulations to Dustin Gunia for winning the 1st Memorial Tournament for Paul this past weekend.

Jeff Livingston